Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to reconcile "Autopilot cameras" (plural) with "how ap1 is supposed to perform"? AP1 only uses one camera...???...

Did they say what was wrong with the cameras? Just curious as to what the failure mode was.

Bruce.
Camera, singular. I was getting constant driver assistance unavailable and Autopilot would work but not see lines. It was crazy. There was a sensor in the windshield that failed. Autopilot still worked but it's likely that it was not performing as intended after the update. MVIMG_20180404_065633.jpg IMG_7275092856001336479.jpg IMG_20180404_065704.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and bmah
Heres an update. I ran .12 through my full commute after a couple of days of driving some local roads, putting it in AP2 when ever I could to see if any map had changed too.. Still have the cards and the same voice so I can conclude I still have the existing maps except I do see the navigation by telsa now in the corner on the MCU when routing is on . Interestingly auto pilot " settled in " and now is as clean as 10.4 was for me , corrected its attack angle into flat turns ( there are 6 on my route) , no jumpy ness seeing spacers ( open lane areas) when you come up to off ramps and im back to 9x% of my total commute in autopilot by gaming it a little by going through the left most lane at the toll ( which Nav still miss pronounces as TOL) , doing a left turn signal to the off ramp lane once it has started so it thinks it is a regular lane and a right off ramp getting in a far right lane and let it just diverge with the lane as the off ramp ( off ramps are gradual on those , not abrupt) . I even tried a roundabout. It slowed down with the car in front of me and started to follow . it tried to follow and the right turn was a little too much and tried to go up the curb but actually caught the lane markers then followed it "slowly" around the round about. proabbaly could not have done that with out the car infront of me there. I had to disengage to go right out of the round about of course. I'm ready for any off ramp, stoplights (with no car in front) and left turns!!!!

Bottom line it seems when there is a new up date, Give it a day.... The NN will sort itself out.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I noted on another thread that it's Interesting that the 3 is now getting 'this' release (same number and hash) and it's the one that has the long awaited AP controls (distance/speed) on the steering wheel. Wonder if this is the end of separated releases... Have to see what S/X MCU2 gets in the future!

And, for a data point, after five days on 2018.12, no maps (on my car, to be clear. :D ). Hm....

Reactions: croman
Anyone else get drunk swerves at low speed bumper to bumper? My car was insanely turning the wheel while crawling yesterday.

I've seen a few times when traveling slowly, it thinks the lane is wider than it really is, and it starts making wide steering movements to "center" itself. Though in almost every case for me, the steering wheel turned what seemed like an insane amount, but looking at my mirrors, my car wasn't really moving around noticeably.

• Informative
Anyone else get drunk swerves at low speed bumper to bumper? My car was insanely turning the wheel while crawling yesterday.
Yes back on 2018.10.4 - was on a 400 mile, mostly highway trip but hit one major slowdown due to an accident. It was exactly as you describe. Haven’t (thankfully) been stuck in traffic like that since and recently upgraded to 2018.12, so cant say if that’s been fixed or not.

• Informative
I've seen a few times when traveling slowly, it thinks the lane is wider than it really is, and it starts making wide steering movements to "center" itself. Though in almost every case for me, the steering wheel turned what seemed like an insane amount, but looking at my mirrors, my car wasn't really moving around noticeably.

Mine was. Even while still it turned the wheel the entire way one direction and then the other and then put up the hold after 7.5 minutes.

Basically it was like those people that scan the edges of the lane looking to jump down the shoulder. It kept going to the edges of the lane until I stopped it. I was amused at first but I thought this was addressed. I remember it'sot reporting it for earlier builds from 2017 but I had only experienced a much milder version until I was stuck on 90 for an hour near the PA OH border due to a collapsed bridge.

Mine was. Even while still it turned the wheel the entire way one direction and then the other and then put up the hold after 7.5 minutes.

Basically it was like those people that scan the edges of the lane looking to jump down the shoulder. It kept going to the edges of the lane until I stopped it. I was amused at first but I thought this was addressed. I remember it'sot reporting it for earlier builds from 2017 but I had only experienced a much milder version until I was stuck on 90 for an hour near the PA OH border due to a collapsed bridge.

Yikes, that sucks…. No, then I haven't seen that particular behavior before, but I sure hope they fix it! :)