Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FIRMWARE UPDATE! AP2 Local road driving...and holy crap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, complete validation and then be released. Nowhere did it say it would be at AP1 parity at release. You seem to have assumed and or wanted to believe this.

With all due respect I think Dec as a date of parity was a reasonable assumption since it was quoted by the CEO.

Musk
Oct 2016
"So we expect to reach feature parodies following field validation of hardware 2.0 probably in December (2016) so maybe two or three months from now. So for two or three months is actually hardware 1.0 car will be better than a hardware 2.0 car and then approximately every two or three months thereafter is when we expect to release significant improvement in autonomous capability."

You're the one that assumed AP2 software would be at AP1 parity at software release. I sure as *sugar* didn't think that would be the case.

• Informative
Reactions: disagree

With all due respect I think Dec as a date of parity was a reasonable assumption since it was quoted by the CEO.

Musk
Oct 2016
"So we expect to reach feature parodies following field validation of hardware 2.0 probably in December (2016) so maybe two or three months from now. So for two or three months is actually hardware 1.0 car will be better than a hardware 2.0 car and then approximately every two or three months thereafter is when we expect to release significant improvement in autonomous capability."

• Informative
Reactions: disagree and croman
L
I won't be testing as it "seems" they did not make the effort to properly test before the release. Maybe the car they tested with did not report the overpasses/signs as false collisions.

I can understand this(false collisions) happening on less known highways but not on major ones and around big cities.

But that's not how AP2 learns. Tesla needs the combined data from our cars to build the nural network.

But that's not how AP2 learns. Tesla needs the combined data from our cars to build the nural network.

I disagree. They should have gathered more data before releasing. Maybe you did not have your car beeping and hard-breaking a few times in the middle of the highway, while on vacation with your family, before finally deciding TACC is not safe.

So I would just like to clarify something.

The reason I made the FSD comparison is based on how the car is struggling with very basic driving tasks, I don't see how by any stretch the car can be ready for FSD by 2017. Maybe end of 2018. I should have said I regret buying FSD because I don't think it is worth it to save 1k to give Tesla my 4k to wait 2 years. AP, I think in the end, will be worth it. I would have just rather paid for FSD when it came, if ever. It was my mistake, no doubt, I succumbed to the stupid video thinking it was much closer than we all know it is.

I still love the car, don't get me wrong. My comments are on the situation with AP and FSD, not the entire car. I am frustrated with Elon and Tesla and how they market and promise things. Elon tweeted FSD will be available soonest "3 months" and longest "6 months" last month.... Come on, that is silly. Just like the tweets about 8.1, coming in "late jan"...Here we are in late Feb and not even any communcation as to why? I think the owners just want more transparency, when you love the car as much as I do, you put a lot of faith into the things Tesla promises. Its the pattern over promising we want changed, i think that's about it.

Well I have been using 17.5.36 for about a week, first two experiences using Autosteer on local roads was very concerning as I mentioned in my original post. I have now used it on local roads on at least 10 other occasions and it has worked well. No issues with corners, traffic, and going through intersections. I would not saw flawless but pretty good. I have used in day and night without any new issues. It is gives me confidence that things are moving in the right direction. I just wish they would raise it to 40mph as I have been slowing down local traffic testing it out!

Musk
Oct 2016

He said "probably in december". So it was clearly an estimate. Later in the that same call he said, "People that have HW1 cars should bear in mind that there car will have more functionality than a HW2 car at least until December, maybe later."(16:00).

People need to keep in mind with Elon:

For what it is worth, calling out Musk for being late is getting old. It is a silly / easy excessive. OF COURSE he will be late. He has a LONG history of being late. EVERYONE doing anything ambitious is always late. Even the Apple earbuds were A LOT late when the company only makes a few products and even when it is a relatively simple product and even when they announced a date that was only a short time on the horizon.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman