Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First P85D adopters stuck in black hole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems some European customers are cought in a new black hole. My car has been in production since 27th December, 24 days and counting.

Over a week ago my DS told me my car was finished 7th January and being prepped for shipping. Just now I got of the phone with my DS who told me my car is held back together with a number of others. He did not know why or how long it would take.

It seems some European customers are cought in a new black hole. My car has been in production since 27th December, 24 days and counting.

Over a week ago my DS told me my car was finished 7th January and being prepped for shipping. Just now I got of the phone with my DS who told me my car is held back together with a number of others. He did not know why or how long it would take.

Crap, that doesn't sound good. My car only started building on January 10th but has now been about 9 elapsed days which is definitely longer than a normal build. Is it possible I re-ordered only to fall into another black hole?

Crap, that doesn't sound good. My car only started building on January 10th but has now been about 9 elapsed days which is definitely longer than a normal build. Is it possible I re-ordered only to fall into another black hole?

gpetti, I'm in the same situation as you. My Silver P85D (P669XX) with 21" and air suspension went into production on Jan 9th and I expected that it would take about a week. But still no update 11 days later.

Exactly same situation for me. Same dates, same message.

Very curious. 85D orders have been being pushed back pretty much every week due to supposed part issues (at least that's what my DS keeps telling me). But I don't think part issues would delay cars that were already in production, I'd expect them to just not start those cars.

My 85D went into production this past Saturday but the estimated delivery has stayed at Late February. The strange thing about this is when my end of line date was Jan 26th I had a estimated delivery of February. But now my car is showing in production earlier than that and it still is showing Late February. One theory I have is that the estimated dates only update once a week on Wednesday night. If not then possibly they've changed how they're showing In Production or the rate of production has slowed down for some unknown reason. I guess I'll know sometime late tomorrow night or Thursday morning if my Estimated Delivery changes.

I'd imagine that production is a tad slower this month due to giving employees a break after the push to get December P85D deliveries out. But I can't see that delaying things as much as you guys are reporting.

Have you guys asked your DS about the delays? They might tell you they don't know but you can ask them to research the issue (i.e. ask the factory what's going on), though from what I understand it takes 5-7 days to get a response back on that.

Very curious. 85D orders have been being pushed back pretty much every week due to supposed part issues (at least that's what my DS keeps telling me). But I don't think part issues would delay cars that were already in production, I'd expect them to just not start those cars.

My 85D went into production this past Saturday but the estimated delivery has stayed at Late February. The strange thing about this is when my end of line date was Jan 26th I had a estimated delivery of February. But now my car is showing in production earlier than that and it still is showing Late February. One theory I have is that the estimated dates only update once a week on Wednesday night. If not then possibly they've changed how they're showing In Production or the rate of production has slowed down for some unknown reason. I guess I'll know sometime late tomorrow night or Thursday morning if my Estimated Delivery changes.

I'd imagine that production is a tad slower this month due to giving employees a break after the push to get December P85D deliveries out. But I can't see that delaying things as much as you guys are reporting.

Have you guys asked your DS about the delays? They might tell you they don't know but you can ask them to research the issue (i.e. ask the factory what's going on), though from what I understand it takes 5-7 days to get a response back on that.

I'm being a tad more proactive this time around. After my car had been about 4 days I asked my DS for an update and he said it was 'in paint'. A couple of days later I was pushing for information on the type of seat and he told me it was "in paint". When I asked him how long this should take he asked me if I had ever watched paint dry (jokingly) to which I replied "this certainly feels like watching paint dry" :) Anyway, when the weekend passed and it was still in production I emailed him more aggressively making it clear that I wanted to know what was going on and why I was stuck in production again. Unfortunately my regular DS is away and the fill in guy simply said "it's in production". I wrote him back that I wanted more information but no reply. Perhaps I should have just gone up to the next level but instead I sent an email to Jerome asking to know what was happening - given my previous 24 day production run. He hasn't responded - possibly I've exceeded the nuisance threshold of his email responses.
I will call my usual DS tomorrow.

My theory is that they are postponing delivery of 85Ds until the torque sleep upgrade is available. We had quite a fuzz about the energy consumption of the P85D and delivering the "most efficient 85D" with the same problem would probably quickly result in too much bad feedback. Given JBs blog post, torque sleep should be ready any day now.

My theory is that they are postponing delivery of 85Ds until the torque sleep upgrade is available. We had quite a fuzz about the energy consumption of the P85D and delivering the "most efficient 85D" with the same problem would probably quickly result in too much bad feedback. Given JBs blog post, torque sleep should be ready any day now.

I think more likely still in limbo with the seats (rear seats different, lots of people complaining about the concept of old seats back with vertical seams vs new front seats with horizontal seams).

Say hello to Fonske :smile:

^This. After the P85D's rollout, can you imagine the kerfuffle that would result if the S85D was also delivered with less range than the S85/P85?

I've got a trip a week from tomorrow that requires three non-Supercharger charging stops: torque sleep and a corresponding increase in range would be so very welcome in my P85D.

Boy, that black hole has a slippery exit. Was counting the hours today when my DS phoned at 10:00 to give me the news that the GPS on the car has problems and they need to replace a wire.
So, delivery is tentatively now set for Monday the 26th.
Ouch! Me too... Tentative for the 27/28 now - first due to logistics getting a transport from From Freemont to Vancouver and now trying to arrange delivery from Vancouver to Calgary.