Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Signature and First Production Delivery in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Unlike the UK our cars cannot be all driven back to the home cities from a single point. The Sigs in the confirmed TMC list are skewed toward Sydney, with four there and also one within driving range in Canberra, but there are certainly many more Sigs around with owners not in TMC, so I would think there are easily enough to fly a few sigs over to Sydney and possibly Melbourne and WA for an opening day ceremony joined by a TV link. Does anyone remember the highest Sig reservation number so far?

Most likely it is me, I was the last one (if I'm not wrong) to be offered to take up a cancelled signature spot. I think I was 34!

Some of the first Signature MS for Hong Kong have been produced, and are "in transit". Hopefully, Australia will follow shortly after. The main difference is around a week more shipping time to Australia, compared to Hong Kong.

Do the Signature Tesla Motors profile pages for Australian customers still say

Order Confirmed
We have begun sourcing parts for your Model S.

?

HK Signature #28 went in production June 13th, then shortly after "in transit". #49 went on the 17th - the table is only as updated as feedback is received.

Follow the HK deliveries here: #1

Last edited:
Some of the first Signature MS for Hong Kong have been produced, and are "in transit". Hopefully, Australia will follow shortly after. The main difference is around a week more shipping time to Australia, compared to Hong Kong.

Do the Signature Tesla Motors profile pages for Australian customers still say

?

HK Signature #28 went in production June 13th, then shortly after "in transit". #49 went on the 17th - the table is only as updated as feedback is received.

Follow the HK deliveries here: #1

Still sourcing. Our VINs are a lot higher than the ones assigned to the Signature's in HK so that may make a difference.

Still sourcing. I am sig #9

- - - Updated - - -

interesting that some HK vins are in the 46000 range and ordered in February. Ours are also in 46 - 47 range and confirmed in early June. They must have reserved a batch for us. Also I see that a later vin went into production before an earlier vin. Definitely not a sequential thing.

Still sourcing. I am sig #9

- - - Updated - - -
interesting that some HK vins are in the 46000 range and ordered in February. Ours are also in 46 - 47 range and confirmed in early June. They must have reserved a batch for us. Also I see that a later vin went into production before an earlier vin. Definitely not a sequential thing.

Agreed, VINs are not "sequence numbers". If you look closely at the list, my VIN is P46314, while two other customers who put their deposit down 3 and 4 months later than me got P46042 and P46307 (we confirmed on the same date, the day they released the extension of the FRT waiver - First Registration Tax - to 31 March 2017.

I think this clearly shows that VINs are not delivered in strict ascending order, regardless of availability of spare parts. The P46042 is a P85, while mine is a straight 85, while my sequence number is HK#114, the P85 is #16? (don't know the last digit).

As for the HK Signatures, S38005 went into production 4 days before S37130.

I think TM just don't want us to reverse engineer the orders, deliveries and so on. It's not like a queue number you take at the butcher or bakery shop!

Cant' seem to find anything definitive on when the factory closes although one post suggested the 22 July.

Apparently this will be a two week closure whilst they re-organise for new production lines. Do we want to be in the first few cars down a re-organised production line?

Cant' seem to find anything definitive on when the factory closes although one post suggested the 22 July.

Apparently this will be a two week closure whilst they re-organise for new production lines. Do we want to be in the first few cars down a re-organised production line?

My friends 'down under'. A DS friend indicated they had not been given definitive time/date of exact plant closing but they were told to be prepared for the last two weeks in July. Hope that helps. I feel for you all with your extended waiting times. It will be worth it though.

I'm sure Tesla is different, but from an ordinary manufacturing point of view, I can tell you from experience that you most definitely DO NOT want your cars to be the first off a production line after any closure or break, let alone a re-organised production line. Having said that, it's all in the Quality Control, so if Tesla have really strict QC, it won't be an issue.

My friends 'down under'. A DS friend indicated they had not been given definitive time/date of exact plant closing but they were told to be prepared for the last two weeks in July. Hope that helps. I feel for you all with your extended waiting times. It will be worth it though.

Thanks for the info. Waiting is half the fun ----- and now I think I should duck :biggrin:

Someone in the investor thread was told by a Tesla representative that the 21st of July was the shutdown date, which would make sense. I'm sure we'll know when it does happen and they'll also report it at the quarterly announcement in August.

I am getting so used to the waiting I was considering cancelling my Model S order and reserving the Model X instead. When it gets closer to that in turn, I can do the same again, change to the model formerly known as E​.

Or you can do what a buyer in China did. Smash your front windshield with a wrench upon delivery in protest of the wait time.

UK Delivery Event June 7
Hong Kong Delivery Event July 23, about 6.5 weeks later
Australian Delivery Event now probably early September, say the 13?
Then of course will there be a RHD Delivery Event in Japan as they have already delivered LHD?
Revised optimistic guess now September 13.
Confidence level 3 out of 10. :frown:

UK Delivery Event June 7
Hong Kong Delivery Event July 23, about 6.5 weeks later
Australian Delivery Event now probably early September, say the 13?
Then of course will there be a RHD Delivery Event in Japan as they have already delivered LHD?
Revised optimistic guess now September 13.
Confidence level 3 out of 10. :frown:
From my selfish point of view any time after August 20 is good. I am overseas for the first half of August. It would be nice to see a projected delivery date at the very least at this time.....

Well no one in hongkong knew when they were getting the car including the guy who was Sig#1, they only received the email yesterday for the launch in 8 days.
Why wouldn't a tesla exec make a trip to hongkong and to Australia to launch over the same week (I believe they are certainly going to do that).
Sorry Dborn, if I'm increasing your frustration, I know!

I couldn't get to Sydney early enough, so I will be test driving on Thursday, how long do they let you test drive? And is it a preset route? Are you able to take some pictures?

I couldn't get to Sydney early enough, so I will be test driving on Thursday, how long do they let you test drive? And is it a preset route? Are you able to take some pictures?

When I did the test drive last week, it was about 20 minutes on a preset route. Probably could've haggled to let me drive for a bit more, but I know there was another guy already waiting for his turn so I didn't try.

Well no one in hongkong knew when they were getting the car including the guy who was Sig#1, they only received the email yesterday for the launch in 8 days.
Why wouldn't a tesla exec make a trip to hongkong and to Australia to launch over the same week (I believe they are certainly going to do that).
Sorry Dborn, if I'm increasing your frustration, I know!

Yes, but we don't have even a guestimate delivery date on My Dashboard, nor have the cars gone into production yet. Americans tell me that it can go into production a week or so prior to delivery in the States. OK, here it has to travel. So, one would expect at least something on the web. Also, what about arranging financials. They can't expect such a large sum to be negotiated with a couple of days notice!!! Surely??