Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Signature and First Production Delivery in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but we don't have even a guestimate delivery date on My Dashboard, nor have the cars gone into production yet. Americans tell me that it can go into production a week or so prior to delivery in the States. OK, here it has to travel. So, one would expect at least something on the web. Also, what about arranging financials. They can't expect such a large sum to be negotiated with a couple of days notice!!! Surely??

Can you organise finance ahead of time given you know the sale price? It would be a lot of pressure to organise in a couple of days for sure!

Actually, no. I have been told that the price you have is actually not final, and an accounting is made just prior to delivery. Apparently to take into account any variations, perhaps exchange rates, and discounts of one type or another. Like that for those registered prior to Dec 2012.

- - - Updated - - -

HomeLink. I have been making extensive enquiries, which are still ongoing. It seems that the reason it is not being included for Australia is that the manufacturer of Homelink has not approved it for sale in this market. At this time the reason for that escapes me. I am still trying to find out from aftermarket sources. The mirror is made by the same manufacturer, but apparently the aftermarket mirrors which incorporate Homelink cannot be substituted - they simply do not fit. There is one last option i am exploring, which is far less elegant than simply replacing the rearview mirror, and it would require an installer of aftermarket electronics to do. Once i have that information, will post that here. Regrettably Tesla will not install any of these aftermarket solutions on the grounds of liability.

Actually, no. I have been told that the price you have is actually not final, and an accounting is made just prior to delivery. Apparently to take into account any variations, perhaps exchange rates, and discounts of one type or another. Like that for those registered prior to Dec 2012.

Straight from the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement
Purchase Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The purchase price of the Vehicle as indicated in your Vehicle Configuration attached to this Agreement is not subject to change.

First Honk Kong sig delivery celebration scheduled for the 23rd. First deliveries for Japan a few days later.

There is quite a flurry on the Hong Kong thread right now. It seems that their non-sig deliveries have been delayed by 1-2 months to around October.

At least three customer sigs have arrived in HK and should be delivered on the 23rd. One Sig owner there (Newk) has a recent delivery date of mid August, suggesting a bigger shipment may happen then for them.

It is not clear to me whether the recent cars into Australia are all company MS or whether Sigs 1,2,and 3 are included. They can't be mine (sig #7) because mine is still sourcing parts. In HK there seems at least 6 weeks between confirmation of the shipping of the car and the delivery. That puts mine at least 2 weeks (production +embarking on the boat) + 6 weeks (Shipping and delivery) = 8 weeks or mid September.

First Honk Kong sig delivery celebration scheduled for the 23rd. First deliveries for Japan a few days later.

There is quite a flurry on the Hong Kong thread right now. It seems that their non-sig deliveries have been delayed by 1-2 months to around October.

At least three customer sigs have arrived in HK and should be delivered on the 23rd. One Sig owner there (Newk) has a recent delivery date of mid August, suggesting a bigger shipment may happen then for them.

It is not clear to me whether the recent cars into Australia are all company MS or whether Sigs 1,2,and 3 are included. They can't be mine (sig #7) because mine is still sourcing parts. In HK there seems at least 6 weeks between confirmation of the shipping of the car and the delivery. That puts mine at least 2 weeks (production +embarking on the boat) + 6 weeks (Shipping and delivery) = 8 weeks or mid September.

Seems like a fair estimate.

Yes, things are getting hot now, one week to go to "our" launch event.

Have a look back again in the Honkers forum, I came up with some speculation that there will be a gap in Hong Kong between the last Signature car (mid August?) and the first production (mid September?)

About a months worth of gap, my fingers are crossed that this period means Signature deliveries to Australia some time around September 1st (plus minus two weeks).

If you are taking bets, I would like to say Wednesday September 10th for the first Australian Signature deliveries. All depending on service and charging infrastructure in place by then, obviously.

One really has to wonder why so much from the company has to be a secret. It is pretty easy to cover unforeseen contingencies if a deadline can't be met by appropriate wording. I am not talking about commercial-in-confidence stuff, but things like deliveries and the like.

One really has to wonder why so much from the company has to be a secret. It is pretty easy to cover unforeseen contingencies if a deadline can't be met by appropriate wording. I am not talking about commercial-in-confidence stuff, but things like deliveries and the like.

Totally agree!

And why all the bad excuses instead of just saying something like sorry about the delay, we had unforeseen challenges outside of our control. And yes, be more open about it. It seems they try to copy Apple Computers in many ways, including the secrecy. The Signature launch event in Hong Kong was announced with just over a weeks prior notice. Most of the information is coming from seemingly random emails, from various persons, and the information changes by the day and the person sending it.

A regular newsletter would have been in place, even if it was only sent directly to reservation-holders and owners and not entirely public on their website.

Yes, things are getting hot now, one week to go to "our" launch event.

Have a look back again in the Honkers forum, I came up with some speculation that there will be a gap in Hong Kong between the last Signature car (mid August?) and the first production (mid September?)

About a months worth of gap, my fingers are crossed that this period means Signature deliveries to Australia some time around September 1st (plus minus two weeks).

If you are taking bets, I would like to say Wednesday September 10th for the first Australian Signature deliveries. All depending on service and charging infrastructure in place by then, obviously.

Thanks for your thoughts DITC. As for betting on Tesla, I bet the farm on Tesla shares in 2011 and 2012, and as we all now know, Elon delivered, and he will again. But I wouldn't bet a single dollar on their car delivery schedule. Far too speculative.;)

Congratulations on receiving you car soon. I am envious!

Thanks for your thoughts DITC. As for betting on Tesla, I bet the farm on Tesla shares in 2011 and 2012, and as we all now know, Elon delivered, and he will again. But I wouldn't bet a single dollar on their car delivery schedule. Far too speculative.;)

So happy for your investment - I wish ... and so on.

I am not Signature holder, so I will have to wait until mid/end September - maybe (as pr my speculation) even after Signature model S deliveries in Australia.

Betting on a date in Australia, not for money nor profit, just to see who gets closest to the actual date.

- - - Updated - - -

HomeLink. I have been making extensive enquiries, which are still ongoing. It seems that the reason it is not being included for Australia is that the manufacturer of Homelink has not approved it for sale in this market. At this time the reason for that escapes me. I am still trying to find out from aftermarket sources. The mirror is made by the same manufacturer, but apparently the aftermarket mirrors which incorporate Homelink cannot be substituted - they simply do not fit. There is one last option i am exploring, which is far less elegant than simply replacing the rearview mirror, and it would require an installer of aftermarket electronics to do. Once i have that information, will post that here. Regrettably Tesla will not install any of these aftermarket solutions on the grounds of liability.
I cannot get them to sell me Homelink at any price, even taking delivery in the States. They allege licensing issues and frequency mismatches but won't give any details. Bummer! I won't have time to go into a dealer when in the States at the end of the month. The mob I have been communicating with is the main aftermarket people that the manufacturer puts you on to.

Nicely played! This is what I get for not following the stock market closely. Tesla is one of the few stocks I would have picked if I'd been paying attention and known they'd even listed as I was looking at the Roadster back in 2009. If I'd bought $10k worth of shares in 2010 I could sell up now and buy an S85 instead I've got to find a way to pay for it despite all the Australia tax :(

We just had the delivery event in Hong Kong yesterday. Visit the Hong Kong forums for pictures, video and comments. There is group photo of TMC members, we were almost 20 that got together at the event.

Fingers crossed for Australia (and Japan, and New Zealand), that it's your turn soon.

Me myself non-Signature will have to wait for middle or end September - latest estimate. Finally, at times Tesla Motors HK admit that they do have internal problems to cope with getting cars ready and delivered, that it's not only external factors like the Transport Department and customs. I think it would be fair to say that we have had a fair bit of excuses so far - that would be putting it in a diplomatic way, others would use more direct wording ...

To get this thread back on track, our launch event. My guess is that it will be before September 30. I think they want to get in during the third quarter. This is certainly doable provided construction of our vehicles begins soon after factory reopens early August.

Given that the first sigs have been built, then the 'launch event' cars are already built and on the water.

I expect the remaning sigs will move into production soon after the shutdown completes. Still plenty of time to get them delivered prior to sept 30th.

We might get a clue at the earnings call at the end of the week