Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker ocean - UK forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is it. After nearly 4 years of Tesla Model 3 ownership, on Tuesday I say goodbye to my M3P. On Wednesday I become the proud owner of a Fisker Ocean Extreme.

Can't say I'm going to massively miss the Tesla. Probably the only real thing I will miss is the supercharger network. The car itself, probably only really the acceleration and the UI of the software. Otherwise, Elon can shove it.

So this is it. After nearly 4 years of Tesla Model 3 ownership, on Tuesday I say goodbye to my M3P. On Wednesday I become the proud owner of a Fisker Ocean Extreme.

Can't say I'm going to massively miss the Tesla. Probably the only real thing I will miss is the supercharger network. The car itself, probably only really the acceleration and the UI of the software. Otherwise, Elon can shove it.
This is one of the cars I’m interested in w hen I also tell the Musk to shove it. Id be really interested to know what you think so it would be great if you stay on this forum and let us know what you think.

And ignore any petty and unnecessary comments from people who are incapable of imagining life outside their Musk/Tesla bubble. It’s pointless adds nothing constructive to the conversation.

Someone recently posted an auto trader advert for an Ocean. I gave it a good read and first time I had given the spec a close look. I don’t know prices but car with ‘delivery miles’ (clearly delivered some distance) was iirc £60k. I am curious if it’s an intended flip or owner decided after 500 miles that it wasn’t for them so interested in your view.

I must admit that after my Tesla experience that buying one of the first of a kind would not be high on my list, but I really hope the car is a good-un as the more choice of decent EV’s the better.

Another issue is its top speed (127 mph=205 km/h - higher is only for Germany) and charging speed (175kW). Its battery is unproven yet, we will see its degradation in 10 years.
TBH I do not see any its advantage. I was guessing it could be at least cheaper but neither that (USD 61499?).

Another issue is its top speed (127 mph=205 km/h - higher is only for Germany) and charging speed (175kW). Its battery is unproven yet, we will see its degradation in 10 years.

Hardly an issue when speed limit is 70mph.

And Tesla use plenty of battery tech where they are still learning on the job and no track record. You only have to look at the different battery types, hard and soft limits that Tesla use across various models and years and see the changing limitations or restrictions that they apply to these over the lifetime of the vehicles to know that the customer is still the Tesla proving ground. Battery gate, charge rate restrictions on SR and LFP, discharge rate restriction changes on Performance model, recent daily limit recommendation changes etc etc. Every vehicle manufacturer is pretty much still finding their feet wrt battery technology. Tesla are no more immune to unknowns than any other manufacturer.

[
You think Fisker will still be around in 7 years time? Serious question. I know people said the same about Tesla, but the EV environment is very different now.
No I don’t. I just read the original point as beta testing buggy software was a detraction for the Fisker, in reality we’re still in that game with Tesla so not necessarily a step backwards if switching. I guess there’s “buggy” which you can live with, and “buggy” which you can’t, I’ve no idea what the fisker issues are, but even if we knew, everyone’s tolerance to these things is different.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVMeister
From what I’ve read from an owner is that you are effectively beta testing the software which is very buggy but the hardware seems to be good, it’s early days though.
Buggy software is a lot easier to upgrade than crap hardware so if the hardware is good it’s got a solid foundation. Beta software shouldn’t be an issue for ex Tesla drivers as most Tesla software is in seemingly permanent beta. And Tesla software is itself hardly immune from bugs.

I wonder if you’re still be beta testing in 7 years time like you do with a well known other EV brand?
Haha well I did originally write ‘sounds familiar…’ at the end but I deleted it because it came as bit flippant and wasn’t really necessary as I was making a serious point.

As much as we moan about Tesla’s software, its core software stack is very good and class leading.

The Fisker bugs are actually quite real, as in car breaking bugs at the moment. We are not talking about phantom braking on Autopilot, we are talking about fundamental issues with the software which can stop the car from working.

There’s an EV caravaners group where someone has posted their initial thoughts with it. They specifically said they wouldn’t recommend it unless you are happy to beta test poor software (they are). They did say a few bugs have been squashed already but the list of problems is long.

Overall they said they liked the car and it’s a great EV for towing (due to its giant battery and range) but it’s currently let down by the software.

Here we go, found it. I’ve cut out the start of the post which talks about the history of Fisker, the remainder is verbatim. If I remember I’ll post up the promised follow ups. To be clear, these are not my words, I’ve taken them from an owner who bought it to tow their caravan.

And I think it’s worth ending this initial post by saying, this car is not for the faint of heart! And I don’t mean that in the sense of it having 563bhp and being a crazy machine, it is in fact a very well mannered vehicle and delivers that huge amount of power in a very smooth and controlled way (most of the time!). But the fact the software is in its infancy does mean I would not recommend buying this car if it is your only mode of transport. In the few hundred miles I’ve done it has already had me consider calling Fisker Roadside recovery once as it decided it had a fault with its adaptive drive assistance system which also meant regenerative braking was no longer available. I tried a system reboot, as well as a “get out, lock it, unlock it” but to no avail. A quick scan of the Fiskerati forums showed others have had this issue (which gives me confidence it will be fixed ASAP!) and were all assured by Fisker the car was safe to drive in that state. They also all reported leaving it locked for a few mins solved the issue, which it did for me as well. Thankfully I was only on a short trip which happened to have a 10 min stop and it was in that stop it resolved itself.

So while it is going to be a very capable, comfortable and cost effective option, I think most people should wait until late 2024 before committing. By then it will be clear if they have polished the software and also got their finances and operations in order. Personally I’m happy to be a beta tester for Fisker (and knew I was signing up to that experience, even if they don’t explicitly tell early purchasers that!) and I hope I can provide them constructive feedback that helps drive the development of the software in the direction it needs to go.

Next time I’ll dive into the detail of how my first few hundred miles have been. Sharing some of the more critical software issues I’ve experienced and posting some pics of what I (read, my children) have named Darth Vader…

After the debacle of the Karma, one must be very courageous to give any trust to the Fisker name again.

Make no mistake, I am a huge fan of his work, being on the Z8, the DB9, or the Model S, which are to me the three most gorgeous production vehicles made in the last two decades.
But while that makes him an excellent designer, I’m not sure that’s enough to build an entire brand around his name.

If anything Tesla has showed us the amount of work it takes for software & engineering to follow suit, as well as building up a decent aftersales network.

As for the Ocean, well, it’s a long way from the aforementioned models I admire. And even if it’s brilliantly built with a lot of fresh ideas (I like the solar roof charging the batteries), I personally think it has the appeal and aerodynamics of a carton of milk…

Reactions: init6 and EVMeister
This is one of the cars I’m interested in w hen I also tell the Musk to shove it. Id be really interested to know what you think so it would be great if you stay on this forum and let us know what you think.

And ignore any petty and unnecessary comments from people who are incapable of imagining life outside their Musk/Tesla bubble. It’s pointless adds nothing constructive to the conversation.

Please dont be misled by the title of this thread. This is NOT the UK fisher ocean forum. If you are interested, There are dedicated owner forums to follow and from what ive seen plenty of ex tesla owners too. I dont particularly see what interest would you have in contemplating some of the opinions on here. If you want one and you like it, it should not matter.

I had some interest in the car, researched it and found its just not for me. I dont really feel the need to get into the nasties of the why since what does not fit my criteria is obviously not the same of the people that have purchased one or are indeed thinking of doing so 🤷‍♂️

Please dont be misled by the title of this thread. This is NOT the UK fisher ocean forum. If you are interested, There are dedicated owner forums to follow and from what ive seen plenty of ex tesla owners too. I dont particularly see what interest would you have in contemplating some of the opinions on here. If you want one and you like it, it should not matter.

I had some interest in the car, researched it and found its just not for me. I dont really feel the need to get into the nasties of the why since what does not fit my criteria is obviously not the same of the people that have purchased one or are indeed thinking of doing so 🤷‍♂️
The second part of my post was in response to a facetious one line post that has since been deleted. As a rule I greatly value other people’s opinions and am looking forward to reading more in this thread.

I also doubt this car is for me but doing the research and listening to opinions is interesting and informative.