Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker ocean - UK forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t really know why anyone would buy Fisker for their ‘tech’ (IP).

They are not doing anything special with the car that other manufacturers are not already doing.

They don’t have any substantial assets (e.g. an EV factory) anyone may want.

The main USP of the car is its range but that’s only really a function of its battery size and not anything special Fisker are doing.

Not sure on the Nissan comment either, they already share IP with Renault and have a decent EV platform.

You could probably argue that Fisker spent way too much money on gimmicky features like California mode, rotating screens and solar roofs which others could just copy.

They should perhaps have been concentrating on getting the cost down of their only product and shipping complete software so it didn’t sink the company.

People can forgive missing software features but the basics need to work.

@GeorgeSymonds dropped an interesting video about Lucid in another thread.

Interesting to note that they have Saudi PIF backing so the purse strings will likely be a lot looser than Fisker. Not sure about Rivian but that’s another interesting one.

Wonder how many UK folk out there have bought a Fisker Ocean 🤔
Seen one regularly parked down my street. Will ask the owner if I see him.

I agree. Nothing special that Fisker was doing, all key components were brought off the shelf so they don't have their own drivetrain tech even.

Just don't see why anyone would bother to save them. There's likely already too many companies in the vehicle market, more will fold yet.

I see Fisker have paused car production for 6 weeks and Electrek are reporting they missed an $8.4 million interest payment on March 15th. Doesn’t sound good at all. Do hope they survive as the Ocean is at least interesting and trying to be different.

Did many Oceans come to the UK? Might be a second hand bargain if you’re not bothered about warranty and support

There is one that drive past the school during the school run. Some very tight roads with potential for scrapes etc......I wouldn't want to be taking an Ocean on any roads that risk damage, chances of getting any kind of repair now must be close to zero.

I wonder if they do cease whether you’d be able to get insurance as parts would be hard to come by. I do know Auto Express were saying recently that insurers were reluctant to insure Chinese cars over parts concerns. The BYD Seal was specifically mentioned as almost uninsurable due to lack of parts at the moment and it isn’t like BYD is going anywhere.

I wonder if they do cease whether you’d be able to get insurance as parts would be hard to come by. I do know Auto Express were saying recently that insurers were reluctant to insure Chinese cars over parts concerns. The BYD Seal was specifically mentioned as almost uninsurable due to lack of parts at the moment and it isn’t like BYD is going anywhere.
Yes I found that interesting and surprising on the BYD.

Wonder where you stand if you have a car on finance but legally cannot use it because no one will insure it. Are you utterly screwed or there's some legal protection for people in that situation?