Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those that paid for 60kWh to 75 kWh upgrade, was it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd never do it if I was leasing...
debadging - done since ages. On BMW purchases in Germany, the dealership kept the badges in an envelope and only put them on if the owner wanted it. Reverse logic - higher end (badged) BMWs would get vandalized/theft/stolen....

Tesla sells badges - easy to put them back on. I had debadged my BMW myself (fish wire & hair dryer, then polish) - wanted to hide the fact that I had a 525i (2007) LOL - which was actually an inline-06 3.0L engine but BMW was trying to differentiate with 530i (people related 525i to 2.5L engine - which for 2006 & 2007, it was not!).

Reactions: Rbcnr
Does anyone know if Tesla values a trade-in 60 less than a 75? On the hand, to them it's the exact same car once they unlock it. On the other hand, pricing them the same devalues the upgrade for 75 owners.

Seems like there can't be more than $7000 difference, or the owner would just do the upgrade.

I don't see how we can know. Having trade-in info on close-to-identical cars, one a 60 and one a 75, would be unlikely.

And the other great benefit is the lack of degradation. Basically every month, the upgrade is getting less useful as the underlying battery (although very slowly) degrades the difference between the full 60 and the (as new) 75 capacity.
That was my reason for me not upgrading. The 75kWh batteries can degrade 20% before affecting the 60kWh I paid for. All Teslas should have extra batteries installed to compensate for degradation, but that’s a topic for another thread.

The real question is: would you pay more for a CPO 75 than a CPO 60.
If the answer is yes, you can subtract the difference from your upgrade cost.

I don't think there are any CPO refresh S60's. They are always upgraded. I have heard that the option is given to have an Inventory car be a 60 or 75, but I don't think that is an option for a CPO. Not a fact -- just an observation.

I'm sure it won't be an option from now on.

I used "a better trip planner" and it showed the total trip times for the 60 (75) vs the 75kwh version to be practically the same. I think because it accounts for the fact that the 60 can supercharge to 100% with little/no taper (since its a 75kwh battery) while the 75kwh battery tapers as it gets closer to the top, so you're not really saving any time driving/charging with a 75 vs a 60.

Honestly i thought about getting a 75kwh but i think that was just be being a noob and having range anxiety with my first EV. So don't think i'll ever do the upgrade unless tesla offers a discount/sale lol.

Reactions: gabeincal
I don't think there are any CPO refresh S60's. They are always upgraded. I have heard that the option is given to have an Inventory car be a 60 or 75, but I don't think that is an option for a CPO. Not a fact -- just an observation.

I'm sure it won't be an option from now on.
I mean private sale, not CPO.
Basically, if you were selling a 75D you'd expect to get more for it than if you were selling a 60D.
Whatever extra you'd get could reasonably be deducted from the price of the upgrade.
(I had to google CPO, we don't use that term here!).

I'm in the same group. I'd probably fork out the upgrade for $4k or less.. Still wouldn't pay over $4k though. My daily commute is around 25-30 miles max. I still have a Mercedes if I need to go further and don't want to deal with supercharging.

Reactions: Ulmo
I'm in the same group. I'd probably fork out the upgrade for $4k or less.. Still wouldn't pay over $4k though. My daily commute is around 25-30 miles max. I still have a Mercedes if I need to go further and don't want to deal with supercharging.

$4K or less is when I would start thinking about it also. I think they would sell more upgrades if it came with a little performance upgrade also.

I drove a six week old fully charged Model S from Hays, KS SC to Goodland, KS SC on the way to Denver last week in 24F into a reasonably strong wind. I had to drive the speed limit (a great nuisance for me) and had the heat on very rarely and still only made it with 7%.

I was very glad I got the 75.

I drove a six week old fully charged Model S from Hays, KS SC to Goodland, KS SC on the way to Denver last week in 24F into a reasonably strong wind. I had to drive the speed limit (a great nuisance for me) and had the heat on very rarely and still only made it with 7%.

I was very glad I got the 75.

So you anticipated needing additional range at the Hays Supercharger and stayed there to charge to a higher SOC? How high did you charge, and how did you determine the amount of additional charge you would need? How much additional time did it take?

I spent the night in Hays at the destination charger and charged to 100%, then preheated for 30 mins before leaving.

So not something you planned to do because of the weather, just a happy coincidence that you did.

Fortunately, my situation is such that I don't have to travel at times where the weather might do that. The wind, obviously, could happen at any time, but I don't do cold. I guess if the headwind was predicted to be high, I'd just have to slow down if I couldn't make it on a 100% charge in the 60D.