Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Collision TESLA P85. Repair and Troubleshooting Help Needed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HALLELUJAH))) CAR STARTS, RUNS AND DRIVES BY ITSELF. THANK YOU EVERYONE SO MUCH!!! I CANT BELIEVE IT. THERE ARE NO ERROR MESSAGES AT ALL.
For some reason, after i opened up the HVJB the sensor stopped working, that was the problem. Now car charges, heat working, meaning that DCDC works good.

Thanks to all :))

HOLY S******.... Congratulations, that is sooo awesome. And also great kudos to Ingineer for his posts.

Enjoy the car, hope Tesla gives it the all clear.

HALLELUJAH))) CAR STARTS, RUNS AND DRIVES BY ITSELF. THANK YOU EVERYONE SO MUCH!!! I CANT BELIEVE IT. THERE ARE NO ERROR MESSAGES AT ALL.
For some reason, after i opened up the HVJB the sensor stopped working, that was the problem. Now car charges, heat working, meaning that DCDC works good.

Congrats! I knew it was about to reach Hallelujah state at any moment :)

Last edited:
I need to finish up few little things on it, order few little pieces and then will see, its possible that i will do that.
Funny thing is that my rear passenger door always opens by itself. I cant tell exactly when it started to happen, but i noticed it right after bodywork was done to the car. So basically when the 12V battery was disconnected, and as soon as i connect the 12V battery door opens. When i sit in the car press Brake, door opens. I can close it every time as right now, but definitely will have to fix it.

I want to give many Thanks to Ingineer for all his help. Its been not an easy project for me, and without your help I probably wouldnt have this done. Its a great place to get advice and real help.
People here are awesome! Im glad I can be part of Tesla Owners Family.
Thanks again!!!

Also, as for the door handle, the trigger switch is likely just needing adjustment. When the motor extends the handle, the switch triggers because it thinks someone is pulling on it.

- - - Updated - - -

13.6v is the default output from the DC-DC in the event no CAN bus is present. I was hoping to see something higher, indicating Absorption phase. Is the CAN bus connected properly?

This is awesome news.
It would be great if you could document some of what you did and what issues you ran into for future DIYers. Would be great to build up a repository of repair info since Tesla is so reluctant to provide any.

It's definitely possible that the CAN bus is connected but the DC-DC has a different module firmware loaded and is not responding the updated commands. Just a hunch based on how everyone I've spoken to at Tesla says these things are handled in software. Every procedure I've seen that replaces any module includes verifying the firmware on it.

You'll be getting a lot of these from us/lurkers that couldn't contribute but have been following you, Ingineer, Spaceballs and a couple of others working through this...and it was enlighting!

Congrats to you for your persistence and to all others that helped out and now for the fun part... ENJOY your Tesla!!!

Sure they can. Just like you don't OWN your copy of Windows (you just have a license to use it),
For reference, you own your copy of Windows. What you don't own is the right to make & distribute copies, which leads to all kinds of weird messes in software law because the courts have misinterpreted the phrase "fixed in a medium of expression" and have interpreted copies in RAM to be "copies". The law in this area is pretty convoluted and poorly understood by a lot of people, including judges, and companies like Microsoft make a point of attempting to mislead people even more about the state of the law. But the key point, if you want to look it up, is First Sale Doctrine.

I'm pretty sure that if push comes to shove, Tesla could say that they are denying you the license to use their software, meaning the car is disabled. Since everything is driven by software, and not enough people (besides us techies) care to fight this, we are going to be at the manufacturer's mercy (for the time being).
I'm quite sure they can't. If we fought that sort of ******** in the court of public opinion, we'd win. If we fought it in court, we'd *also* win...

Tesla sells its cars. (I carefully read the purchase agreement.) A bunch of stuff is implied by 'sale'. (And if you leased your car, you have much less.) As green1 says, they can deny warranty coverage (and they should deny it), they can stop providing software updates (and they shouldn't stop), they can refuse to provide documentation (they should provide documentation) but they can't legally disable a car which you own in fee simple; you'd have grounds to sue for damages if they did.

Check out this Wired.com article about software licenses, and this article about John Deere trying to pull a fast one on its customers. I'm only mentioning this so people are aware of this risk before considering buying a salvage vehicle.
The problem is precisely one of "pulling a fast one". I hope Tesla acts reasonable.

Meanwhile, congrats to Yauheni. And thanks to Tesla for being reasonable and helpful to him!

I would warn Yauheni: until you get clear cooperation from Tesla, don't put the 3G card back in, just in case of the remote (ha ha) possibility Tesla tries to disable your car remotely. Without the 3g connection, they can't.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a report of this actually happening against the owners wishes? I don't think they could legally disable a car without the owners permission. Refusing to service it is one thing, but Tesla doesn't own the car.

I don't think they can legally disable it, but they totally could illegally disable it. Even if that's unlikely, I doubt you want to risk it. So don't take it in until you get their promise in writing that they won't disable it.

Last edited: