Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 MS 75D October Build and had the FSD computer and did the following upgrades below. Guess I will head down to tesla parts tomorrow and upgrade the B-pillar cameras too and that should cover everything. Also will check and see how this vehicle shows up in there system vs a 2018 MS. My score sucked during the last rollout of FSD but now i'm at 100
1. Infotainment Upgrade
2. Front Triple Cam
3. Side Repeater Cameras
I've seen several posts where people stated the AP cameras weren't able to be upgraded. Glad to see someone else who has upgraded theirs reply here.

This thread might be interesting to those who still have AP2.0 cameras: Upgrading AP cameras
Did you self upgrade the cameras or Tesla SC did it ?

What does this mean ? How do you "head down to tesla parts"
"I will head down to tesla parts tomorrow and upgrade the B-pillar cameras"
You can buy them on eBay too. Sometimes, they are much cheaper than at Tesla. Other times, Tesla has the cheapest price.
The triple cam is a restricted part meaning Tesla must install and calibrate. All other cameras can be purchased at Tesla parts department. Triple cam was like $200 installed and $130 for each side repeater cams.
You can buy the triple cam on eBay and the cars now have a "recalibrate" option on the Service screen. Many have swapped out their triple cam with no problems.

Please, please, please, tell us how you bought them. My SC denied my request for this.
Try eBay.

Hopefully Tesla will update the FSD beta to work with older cameras. If not, hopefully they will swap out cameras for older cars so that they can eventually get FSD capability.

We upgraded the repeater cameras on our S100D from May 2017. The improved color works fine for Sentry and dash cam and didn't require any firmware updates. That car doesn't have a safety score of 100 yet so it wasn't eligible for the FSD beta last week.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
The intersections in question for me are those that are known R-Y-G when operating normally during the day, but at off-peak / night times, they operate in a blinking red or blinking yellow depending on the direction. These are instances where context clues like whether this light current lit is above or below the last light are not available, and must entirely rely on color. Daytime with normal operating modes work properly, yes, but at night and in any blinking situations, it is reliably incorrect when my other car isnt.
Actually I have noticed the same thing at the blinking yellow for fire stations.
At night, it confuses the blinking yellow for blinking red, and when in AP it wants to stop. If I press on the accelerator it screams at me!

Actually I have noticed the same thing at the blinking yellow for fire stations.
At night, it confuses the blinking yellow for blinking red, and when in AP it wants to stop. If I press on the accelerator it screams at me!

My car goes right through flashing yellow with no issues at night. I’ll test and get a video soon.

I also live in “overfit” California so maybe it’s a combination with map data?

Updated info for AP 2.0 cars…
I just got off the phone with an agent on the vehicle support line. After some research and messaging with internal support folks they stated that “early S and X” cars that have gotten the HW3 and MCU2 upgrade will be able to get the FSD beta with our AP2.0 cameras. However, they have put us at the very end of the list after all other FSD beta requests have been filled. Naturally, they didn’t have any details how long that would take.

They were able to put in a “request” that older cars will 100 score be brought to the top of the queue since we have been waiting close to 5 years now, but they didn’t have a way to track the response.

The best that can probably be done now is to have more eligible early AP2.0 cars request the reprioritization to the proper place in the queue based on safety score vs. just being told “you are at the back of the line”.

Just called in. Agent was not willing to escalate to request earlier access. Just said that since we got the button we should get access someday. Will call in to try and get another agent who is willing to help. I would suggest everyone bombard them with this request. Squeaky wheel... 877-798-3757 Also we could send to [email protected] and request that we be judged on safety score and not be put on the back of the list. No sense of being in the safety score program if it would be months or years to get though everyone who pushed "the button". Where does it stop? Safety score of 75? 50?

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with an agent on the vehicle support line. After some research and messaging with internal support folks they stated that “early S and X” cars that have gotten the HW3 and MCU2 upgrade will be able to get the FSD beta with our AP2.0 cameras. However, they have put us at the very end of the list after all other FSD beta requests have been filled. Naturally, they didn’t have any details how long that would take.

They were able to put in a “request” that older cars will 100 score be brought to the top of the queue since we have been waiting close to 5 years now, but they didn’t have a way to track the response.

The best that can probably be done now is to have more eligible early AP2.0 cars request the reprioritization to the proper place in the queue based on safety score vs. just being told “you are at the back of the line”.

Just called in. Agent was not willing to escalate to request earlier access. Just said that since we got the button we should get access someday. Will call in to try and get another agent who is willing to help. I would suggest everyone bombard them with this request. Squeaky wheel... 877-798-3757
I don’t mind calling tomorrow. My experience with Tesla has been often the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing. The fact they said they won’t even be able to track a response isn’t comforting. Again, I’ll call (can’t hurt), but I believe this will have zero effect on our timeline.

I just got off the phone with an agent on the vehicle support line. After some research and messaging with internal support folks they stated that “early S and X” cars that have gotten the HW3 and MCU2 upgrade will be able to get the FSD beta with our AP2.0 cameras. However, they have put us at the very end of the list after all other FSD beta requests have been filled.
I'll call BS.

Vehicle support line? You mean the roadside assistance #? Not sure they know how to call a tow truck, let alone know the answer to Tesla's hidden secret resulting in shunning their core supporters that saved Tesla from bankruptcy. If they wanted us to simply go away, this vague answer is exactly the answer I'd expect. He was trolling you - if true, exactly why?

Case in point? Why? Why can't they simply say why? It's the elephant in the room and remains unstated. He apparently had a knowledgeable person on the other end of a chat and it didn't occur to him to ask 'Why?'

I'll admit I have no better theory. Only way I can see the above being remotely possible with what we know is that it never occurred to them to test using the AP 2.0 cams. They are pretty incompetent but I don't believe that. If true they'd only be showing off their own serious mismanagement.

If it works with AP 2.0 cams like the guy said, there is zero reason not to proceed now. Just talk to us and do what you say you will do - is that too high of an expectation for Tesla these days?

Not a good look, Elon

Attachments

• 1634605167761.gif
    1634605167761.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 38
I'll call BS.

Vehicle support line? You mean the roadside assistance #? Not sure they know how to call a tow truck, let alone know the answer to Tesla's hidden secret resulting in shunning their core supporters that saved Tesla from bankruptcy. If they wanted us to simply go away, this vague answer is exactly the answer I'd expect. He was trolling you - if true, exactly why?

Case in point? Why? Why can't they simply say why? It's the elephant in the room and remains unstated. He apparently had a knowledgeable person on the other end of a chat and it didn't occur to him to ask 'Why?'

I'll admit I have no better theory. Only way I can see the above being remotely possible with what we know is that it never occurred to them to test using the AP 2.0 cams. They are pretty incompetent but I don't believe that. If true they'd only be showing off their own serious mismanagement.

If it works with AP 2.0 cams like the guy said, there is zero reason not to proceed now. Just talk to us and do what you say you will do - is that too high of an expectation for Tesla these days?

Not a good look, Elon
Most likely, Vision just needs the full color cameras, and they just have no plan to support older cars without them. "Having no plan to support" isn't the same as "we are intentionally choosing not to support them" just, that they won't think about the fact that these cars are unsupported until someone takes them to court or arbitration. That's going to be the only way out of it. Well, or the path I'm taking... turns out my trade in is higher than my purchase price 35k miles ago....

Most likely, Vision just needs the full color cameras, and they just have no plan to support older cars without them. "Having no plan to support" isn't the same as "we are intentionally choosing not to support them" just, that they won't think about the fact that these cars are unsupported until someone takes them to court or arbitration. That's going to be the only way out of it. Well, or the path I'm taking... turns out my trade in is higher than my purchase price 35k miles ago....
I paid for the MCU2 because I realized MCU1 would be excuded from the beta... I'll be happy to pay to upgrade the cameras. Just make it an option!
By the way, in hindsight, the $69,420 Model S in 2020 would have been an AMAZING deal!

I paid for the MCU2 because I realized MCU1 would be excuded from the beta... I'll be happy to pay to upgrade the cameras. Just make it an option!
By the way, in hindsight, the $69,420 Model S in 2020 would have been an AMAZING deal!
I would also be willing to pay to keep this car from being obsolete. However, my SC said they couldn't do a camera retrofit unless I had proof it had been done for other customers, but none of the people who claim to have been able to pay for this upgrade have come forth with documentation. I suspect that they may have just been mistaken, or misremembering. I would love to be proven wrong, but I'm not going to hang onto this brick any longer than necessary. I can't convince Tesla service to sell me the part, so there is no path to getting the hardware upgraded for me.

I bought the car because I thought it would get better of time, but clearly HW2.0 cars are never going to see another AP improvement again with the introduction of vision unless Tesla decides we are allowed to upgrade. There are plenty of other cars I can own that never see updates, so no reason to have it be a Tesla. I'll be curious to see how long it takes for the guys at the Volvo dealership to unload it. I really hope I wrong, and that in a year you are all laughing with joy at how your car has improved, and not miserable that your car still dives at offramps and can't handle merges. I'm not going to take the chance.

The intersections in question for me are those that are known R-Y-G when operating normally during the day, but at off-peak / night times, they operate in a blinking red or blinking yellow depending on the direction. These are instances where context clues like whether this light current lit is above or below the last light are not available, and must entirely rely on color. Daytime with normal operating modes work properly, yes, but at night and in any blinking situations, it is reliably incorrect when my other car isnt.
I just ran into a whole pile of these on a rural road trip. Every time the yellow light blinks off the car assumes there is a red. This was in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan heading from Houghton towards the new Marquette Supercharger.