Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't fathom people footing $12k for vaporware, but I have seen IPO companies sell for millions while being pure vaporware.

Anyways, it will get there, the question really is that will you recoup your money if FSD starts working on your car which is really old. Perhaps you could ride share it and earn it back that way, at least that's how I would think about it, but I have not interest in maintaining a rental/taxi/rideshare car, my expertise are elsewhere.

I can't fathom people footing $12k for vaporware, but I have seen IPO companies sell for millions while being pure vaporware.

I mean, excluding the class of oldest cars mentioned where FSDb isn't available (but it was only 3k for those folks not 12k) it's not vaporware. FSDb delivers everything Tesla promised to since ~3/2019 to everyone in North America.

If THAT is worth 12k to someone is subjective of course but it certainly exists.

Anyways, it will get there, the question really is that will you recoup your money if FSD starts working on your car which is really old. Perhaps you could ride share it and earn it back that way, at least that's how I would think about it, but I have not interest in maintaining a rental/taxi/rideshare car, my expertise are elsewhere.

Nobody with an old Model S /X and FSD is ever going to operate the vehicle as a robotaxi. Tesla is free to prove me wrong but everything I've seen says the HW is simply never going to be capable of that and they've been pretty clear further HW upgrades aren't in the cards.

I think the best that HW ever gets is maybe L3 on highways (though with the much broader ODD than the hilarious limited L3 Mercedes offers)-- it's probably TECHNICALLY capable of L4 (with an ODD that restricts for really bad weather and ALSO restricted to controlled access highways) but likely Tesla wouldn't be willing to take on the liability that implies.

Re: 2023.44.30.8

I have legacy 2017 TMX and after what appeared to be a good install of 30.8 from 30.6, I'm getting a 'Software update required' msg.
NOTE: I did a two-finger reboot with no change. I'm considering the reinstall option within Service Mode but wanted to check forums first.

Drivers display:
fWBe25C.jpg

Service Mode expansion of msg (what was duplicated w/same time):
nJVgWfI.jpg

Service Mode option to do software reinstall
r1M7J7h.jpg

One of my Teslas is a 2017 MX and I don't have this issue on 30.8

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
One of my Teslas is a 2017 MX and I don't have this issue on 30.8
Thanks for responding. Not sure if you saw my follow up post but I was able to get into service mode and do the reinstall option and it then went away. Way better than taking it in for service in our single digit weather ;) ... and letting them hit the same button!

Reactions: Silicon Desert
My plan is to keep this bitch running until they deliver L4 to my car. I believe I ended up paying $8,000 for FSD by the time I purchased it. When my cameras were replaced and I finally got FSD I was pretty impressed. Enough to buy more shares. It improved from there, but it performs worse in the last year or two. Especially in inclimate weather. Probably because of lack of radar? @Knightshade, is the radar not being used in any cars currently running FSD even if they have it? Hopefully V12 turns out to be something special because this is getting tiring. I like Elon, most of the time, but I would love to hear from him a reasonable explanation why he was so confident FSD would be so easy to achieve.

Probably because of lack of radar? @Knightshade, is the radar not being used in any cars currently running FSD even if they have it?

Last I knew radar cars still use it for automatic emergency braking and forward collision warning, but not for FSD, haven't seen Green or anyone else with low level access remark on it in a while though.

I got a call from Tesla after doing some pricing of a new Y earlier today. I told them I was only interested in buying another Tesla if they would allow us 'old FSD' buyers to transfer BOTH FSD and unlimited SuC to a new car. Five minutes ago I got another call and he said they are going to be posting on their the website that BOTH will transfer to your new vehicle if you take delivery by March 31st. If this it true, I might be pulling the plug!

Reactions: Akikiki
My FSDb v10 car no longer "sees" cars 1 or 2 ahead of the lead car. At least not on the GUI.
The RADAR-equipped versions of the cars, when RADAR was active, was bouncing signals back and forth under the car in front of one, which is why one could sometimes see two and maybe three cars in front of one.

The Vision-Only versions don't do that thing. Although if one is in a steep enough curve so that one can see the other cars far ahead, they do pop up in the visualization.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
The RADAR-equipped versions of the cars, when RADAR was active, was bouncing signals back and forth under the car in front of one, which is why one could sometimes see two and maybe three cars in front of one.

The Vision-Only versions don't do that thing. Although if one is in a steep enough curve so that one can see the other cars far ahead, they do pop up in the visualization.
Yup! I loved that feature. My car started slowing down before the car in front of me did. It gave me the feeling that if the guy in front of me was thumbing his phone, that my car would slow down before he slammed into someone.

Yup! I loved that feature. My car started slowing down before the car in front of me did. It gave me the feeling that if the guy in front of me was thumbing his phone, that my car would slow down before he slammed into someone.
Actually... Was bombing up I95 in Connecticut one day in ridiculously high-speed, heavy as heck traffic, in a 2018 M3 LR RWD that had the RADAR, along with EAP. Was in the left lane of a four or five-laner, and we're all doing 60+. There was this pickup truck who was trying to get ahead. Nothing really obnoxious. Ducked out of the left lane, got into the next lane over, it moved ahead, then slowed down, and we sort of passed him. Just normal traffic. He got back into the leftmost lane and was three cars behind, no biggie.

And, suddenly, without warning, the car braked, HARD. And semi-simultaneously, the car in front of me was also standing on the brakes: Somebody ahead of us had come to a halt (heavy traffic, right?) and the Tesla was in Full Slow Down mode. At that instant it was pretty clear that the car was holding its own, so I snapped-judgement'd it and didn't touch anything. The car came to a halt with about a 6' gap in front (not much). The SO and I both reached up and tapped the dash, saying, "Good girl!"

Around this point I looked in the rear view mirror to see if I was going to be hit; luckily, the answer was, "No", since the person directly behind me had good reflexes, too. But that pickup truck had clearly been following Too Darn Close, dodged to the left to avoid a direct hit, and managed to scrape the left side of the truck on the Jersey Barrier and the right on the car two cars back.

And traffic picked up and those of us not in an accident on I-95 left.

I've thought about that event from time to time. The Tesla had a decent following distance when it all started; I hadn't been goosing the car or anything. But my first noticing of all the fun wasn't the brake lights of the car in front of me - it was the sudden deceleration from EAP, presumably caused from the detection from a car or three up the road that the RADAR was monitoring. I might have avoided an accident on my own; for one thing, the tires didn't run in ABS in that sudden stop, so presumably hitting the brakes harder would have worked.

But that's about the time that I decided that TACC was very definitely a safety feature, with likely faster reaction times than a human.

Published six years ago.

Hi guys!
I decided to replace the cameras on my MX 2017 (MCU 2 + HW 3). But unfortunately, now it is not possible to visit a service center to install cameras for free and I have to do it myself.
I checked the table that the guys created here (thanks to them!) and none of the installed cameras in my car are suitable for Autopilot 3. Again, no luck in the lottery)
I have a number of questions:
1. Will there be any problems with the mounting pad if I install 1120520-00-B? I currently have the 1095516-00-G ASM, MX TRIPLE CAM GLARE SHIELD For vehicles built on or after Oct. installed. 18, 2016. Option codes: APH0, APH2
2. Does camera 1120520-00-B require additional adjustment after installation? On the Internet I found a phrase that it is adjustable.
3. Are Model 3 or Y SIDE REPEATERS suitable for 2017 MX?
4. In the invoice from the service center I was offered INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3 (1120520-00-C). Will I have any disadvantages if I install 1120520-00-B (I have the opportunity to get it for free)?
5. Do you have to do any additional procedures (except for changing the config) after replacing the cameras?
I would be grateful for any of your advice and recommendations

Last edited: