Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW where does it show what version of Beta FSD we're on?

For most people, good luck finding it, that further confuses things.

Why not on the App? Or the web page?
Also it is ........well surprise, surprise....listed under software.:oops::oops:🤣

IMG_0313.jpeg

My car successfully made a u turn On a divided Highway! It crossed the highway to get into the left turn lane crossing 3 lanes. Came up to the uturn and quickly 90 degrees and stopped I think it was Checking on coming traffic then took of. This has never worked in pasted versions.

Last three days the car has been performing spectacularly. 1/3-1/2 of my trips have be with out disengagement at all .

My car successfully made a u turn On a divided Highway! It crossed the highway to get into the left turn lane crossing 3 lanes. Came up to the uturn and quickly 90 degrees and stopped I think it was Checking on coming traffic then took of. This has never worked in pasted versions.

Last three days the car has been performing spectacularly. 1/3-1/2 of my trips have be with out disengagement at all .
Nice. I am with you with regard to the lack of disengagements. Not perfect yet, but still working incredibly,

I have found the key to successful drives is patience. I will admit, I’m not the most patient driver. When I see someone pull up behind me at an intersection, I feel the pressure to go now if at all possible. So I hit the accelerator and FSD does its herky jerky thing. But if I just wait a second or two longer, FSD handles the same situation impeccably.

I would definitely advise those who can’t seem to go more than a few seconds without disengagements to be more patient. FSD will probably do the right thing. Of course disengage if there is a safety issue. But if it’s just a “courtesy” issue, just be patient. You probably won’t even upset the other driver who is likely off in their own world anyway.

Nice. I am with you with regard to the lack of disengagements. Not perfect yet, but still working incredibly,

I have found the key to successful drives is patience. I will admit, I’m not the most patient driver. When I see someone pull up behind me at an intersection, I feel the pressure to go now if at all possible. So I hit the accelerator and FSD does its herky jerky thing. But if I just wait a second or two longer, FSD handles the same situation impeccably.

I would definitely advise those who can’t seem to go more than a few seconds without disengagements to be more patient. FSD will probably do the right thing. Of course disengage if there is a safety issue. But if it’s just a “courtesy” issue, just be patient. You probably won’t even upset the other driver who is likely off in their own world anyway.
I completely agree on needing patience. Often, whether I use FSD depends primarily on how much patience I have at the time. I also tend to use it less during congested times partly out of consideration for other drivers but also because during rush hour everyone has less patience and the other drivers are less likely to be understanding or accommodating of an unpredictable Tesla.

There are many times when Tesla's hesitation causes problems, though. This is part of the learning and development process so I know it will get better, but when turning onto a moderately busy road hesitation will cause problems.

I'll also add that this is something that people complaining about not getting FSD don't fully appreciate or understand. (I don't think I would if I were waiting, either.) Using FSD is really neat at first but after the novelty wears off it's often a bit draining precisely for the reasons you mention. There are areas I know my car will handle just fine, other areas I know it will mess up and then there's all the places where I'm watching like a hawk with my hands perched over the wheel because I'm not sure if it's going to turn properly or veer into the car next to it - that part can be downright stressful.

Interesting. I recently had a u-turn on my navigation, and a message on the screen came up “can’t complete the maneuver. Take over”. So I’m pretty sure 11.2 can’t do u-turns.

B3FDED19-3868-4CC9-9EF5-4BDA7EE2CDF0.jpeg

I got a little excited yesterday when the nav showed a u-turn coming up. But then instead FSD turned left and the nav updated to use a roundabout to turn around.

E8EF342F-D405-4A95-91DA-43817E6461C9.jpeg

That’s also cool, but then I was disappointed again when it took the 2nd exit on the roundabout. Finally it circled the block to get going back the other way.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
I know. But I got a ticket once for doing it (had to get it dismissed by a lawyer).
That's just a bad law because it's impossible to comply with it. Most states state that you need to stop if it's safe to do so, otherwise you proceed through the intersection. That's the whole purpose of a yellow light. The way WA's law is written, if you're 10 feet outside of the intersection and the light turns yellow you're technically breaking the law.

That's just a bad law because it's impossible to comply with it. Most states state that you need to stop if it's safe to do so, otherwise you proceed through the intersection. That's the whole purpose of a yellow light. The way WA's law is written, if you're 10 feet outside of the intersection and the light turns yellow you're technically breaking the law.
Now that I think more about it (over 2 decades back and wasn't WA), in my case it was unprotected green and I'm allowed to go into the intersection when its green and then turn left - even if the light turns red. Got a ticket anyway - even after explaining the rules. I don't want to go on a tangent on why POC will always get stopped or get tickets ;)

Reactions: sleepydoc
I’m not a lawyer and haven’t been up on that whole red light intersection thing for a while. But that I recall here you were required to be out of the intersection before it turns red. However as many law “people” explained to be its quite common for it to be impossible in a number of cases because the city sets the yellow to such a short time that if you enter and then it turns yellow you will never make it out before it turns red if your only going the speed limit. The answer given is that to keep traffic moving yellows are set at a time that is impossible to meet if you enter at last moment while still green. This is increasing worse the larger the intersection is. The case can be won mathematically. If you can prove based on speed limit, distance, and length of light. It’s basic math. But it will have to be done as court case. I do k ow of several people that went down this case and got off.

Actually they don't. They aren't included in the "reaction score" calculation.
When did that change?
I think a each “dislike” reduces your reaction score by one. It’s like losing a “like”.
I 100% remember this being the case about 6 months ago or so.
Nope. It originally did but they changed it a while back.
Link?

On topic: my commute from work to home has about 10-12 miles of straight 3 lane road with speed limits of 55+. There’s a solid couple mile stretch where the car likes to take every single right turning lane at full speed, despite not having to actually make any turns. GPS also indicates going straight. Extremely annoying. This was not the case prior to .11.2

Reactions: sleepydoc
Off Topic:
I think a each “dislike” reduces your reaction score by one. It’s like losing a “like”.
Why does your ‘reaction score’ matter?

On Topic:
I’m not a lawyer and haven’t been up on that whole red light intersection thing for a while. But that I recall here you were required to be out of the intersection before it turns red.
FSD 11.2 seems to be a bit less conservative with yellow lights. I’ve had a couple of occasions in the last week where I was approaching a light that turned yellow. FSD proceeded through the light without slowing, entering the intersection just before or right as the light turned red. The lights here are timed appropriately so there’s adequate time to stop without braking excessively hard and a reasonable driver would definitely have stopped.

On topic: my commute from work to home has about 10-12 miles of straight 3 lane road with speed limits of 55+. There’s a solid couple mile stretch where the car likes to take every single right turning lane at full speed, despite not having to actually make any turns. GPS also indicates going straight. Extremely annoying. This was not the case prior to .11.2
IMO this is the biggest problem with 11.2, and a pretty significant one. It’s definitely improved in other areas but depending on where you drive the problems with it inappropriately entering turn lanes can make it practically unusable because you’re constantly taking over to correct its mistakes.

Reactions: Ramphex
I’m not a lawyer and haven’t been up on that whole red light intersection thing for a while. But that I recall here you were required to be out of the intersection before it turns red. However as many law “people” explained to be its quite common for it to be impossible in a number of cases because the city sets the yellow to such a short time that if you enter and then it turns yellow you will never make it out before it turns red if your only going the speed limit. The answer given is that to keep traffic moving yellows are set at a time that is impossible to meet if you enter at last moment while still green. This is increasing worse the larger the intersection is. The case can be won mathematically. If you can prove based on speed limit, distance, and length of light. It’s basic math. But it will have to be done as court case. I do k ow of several people that went down this case and got off.
In Texas, the Transportation Code, Section 544.007 states:

(d) An operator of a vehicle facing only a steady red signal shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. A vehicle that is not turning shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. After stopping, standing until the intersection may be entered safely, and yielding right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk and other traffic lawfully using the intersection, the operator may:
(1) turn right; or
(2) turn left, if the intersecting streets are both one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.

(e) An operator of a vehicle facing a steady yellow signal is warned by that signal that:
(1) movement authorized by a green signal is being terminated; or
(2) a red signal is to be given.

There is no prohibition on being in the intersection when the light changes to red. The only prohibition is against entering the intersection once the light has turned red.

Other states may, of course, vary. But it's a simple matter to look up the code for any jurisdiction and read it for yourself.

There is no prohibition on being in the intersection when the light changes to red. The only prohibition is against entering the intersection once the light has turned red.
This makes sense. Afterall you can't be expected to be able to calculate when the yellow light might end and red begin and whether you will be able to cross an intersection before that. Even if you can, you might encounter someone in the intersection which forces you to stop or go slow.

Last edited:
My thoughts on 10.11.2 after a few days. (vs 10.10.2)
- overall much improved
a) turns are smoother with less jerking the wheel
b) lane choices are better, thought not perfect yet. It seems to commit to the correct lane earlier (with vision).
c) forecasting lane placement based on route (when the car is unable to see that far) is still no perfect, though in my usual routes it is a bit improved
d) car goes more confidently into a bike lane when making a right, positioning itself to the right much better and confidently
e) much less phantom breaking. There are some minor reductions, but I have not had any hard braking as if it was trying to slow down to zero.
f) my car is completing more drives without disengagement, and substantially fewer accelerator pushes

- still problematic
a) turns on multi-lane roads it still tries to switch lanes in the middle of the turn
b) speed limits still have issues (map problems)
c) it should creep only until it has enough visibility to confidently turn, not until the edge of where it can possibly go. it often stops just shy of an active lane when it doesn't really have to go that far.
d) still slowing down quite a bit for yellow flashing lights, thought that's what you should be doing if going by the book i guess
e) sometimes it brakes quite late for stopped traffic, especially in curves where it can't see, it should be more cautious knowing (from the map) that there's a traffic light ahead that might be red

Overall very happy with this version and this seems to be good progress.