Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD Beta 10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed 10.4 and 2021.36.8.6 Monday morning in my 2018 Model S 100D. I lost all FSD visualizations, AP, and cruise control. Immediately, 2021.36.8.5 was pushed to my car and I downgraded. The loss of functionality persists and now I'm waiting for a service appointment Nov 18. Anyone else?
Did you try turning off Sentry Mode and letting the car sleep? I get what you have if I have Sentry Mode on and let the car sit while it isn't charging. Strangely, it doesn't do it if the car is still charging.

Great that you're having a really good experience with 10.4 but I believe there a growing realization that 10.4 is a bad build for a significant number of beta testers. As Elon said sometimes FSD will take 1 step forward and 2 steps back. I believe this is one of those times.

@Dirty Tesla just posted a tweeter poll asking if he should post his negative 10.4 video and the response was overwhelmingly yes. What was also interesting is how many FSD beta testers replied with really bad 10.4 experiences some deciding to stop using FSD until the next release. I'm going to stick testing 10.4 hoping it helps Tesla make improvements for the next release.

I took a testing day off today. feeling recharged to try again tomorrow :) I get to navigate to my service center to pick up my Model S, which got the eMMC daughterboard replacement. 10.3.1 did very well getting to the service center, which required some mall parking lot roads. Hoping I'll get to see the improvements in 10.4 that others seem to be experiencing.

Reactions: Ramphex
I got stuck behind a bike a while back. the dumbass was doing 15 MPH on a 2 lane road 55MPH limit. AP would NOT go around him. If it makes sense go for it. just beware .

most likely the cyclist is legally entitled to take up the entire lane if they chose. Also, a competitive cyclist will likely only be going 20-25mph on a flat stretch, which is still going to feel absurdly slow in a 55mph road. I know there are tons of stories of cyclists being aholes and not abiding by traffic lights, esp in the city. But they are also incredibly squishy. They are considered VRU (vulnerable road users) by FSD for a reason. Please try not to rage at cyclists if all they're doing 'wrong' is slowing you down.

There has been some attrition in TeslaFi FSD Beta over the past several days. There are 1,446 total vehicles with 2021.36.5.3, 2021.36.8.5, 2021.36.8.6 software now. There were 1,461 vehicles several days ago. Some may have voluntarily dropped from the beta while others may have been terminated by Tesla. There may be other reasons for the decline in FSD Beta vehicles that escape me

View attachment 731113
Most likely dropped, given that it’s easy to switch a beta off if you don’t like it, therefore it is u likely a great many are asking to be removed from the Beta program.

10.4 still is horrible (does nothing about) school zones. Be careful
I expect there will be mention of it when they implement school zone and bus related items. They must be working on it - the first step was recognizing the lights on vehicles.

I’d not call known, consistent limitations horrible - just features yet to be implemented.

I got stuck behind a bike a while back. the dumbass was doing 15 MPH on a 2 lane road 55MPH limit....
most likely the cyclist is legally entitled to take up the entire lane if they chose. Also, a competitive cyclist will likely only be going 20-25mph on a flat stretch, which is still going to feel absurdly slow in a 55mph road. I know there are tons of stories of cyclists being aholes and not abiding by traffic lights, esp in the city. But they are also incredibly squishy. They are considered VRU (vulnerable road users) by FSD for a reason. Please try not to rage at cyclists if all they're doing 'wrong' is slowing you down.
[rant]As a runner and sometime biker this "car driver" attitude always concerns and irritates me. Just because you wrap yourself in 2 tons of metal doesn't make bikers and pedestrians inferior people. People often look at me like I'm roach on their floor when I even legally hinder them for 1 second when I have the right of way.

Oddly the percentage of these drivers goes WAY up as you move out of the city and into the burbs.

Also don't even get stated on the high percentage of drives heading towards me with their head's looking DOWN.

Last edited:
10.4 still is horrible (does nothing about) school zones. Be careful
A significant downgrade from 10.3 and I am not sure why Tesla has not done something about it. A little less of those phantom braking "taps" but when it does phantom brake, it slams them for no apparent reason and often disengages . Left turn inaccuracy and hesitations are now downright scary! I have turned FSD off until the next build.

That’s cool. It does a pretty decent job of turning them off when it recognizes an oncoming car.
Are there new vehicles sold nowadays that don't have auto lights and high beams? Even my 2014 Cadillac has them

Always amusing driving down the highway, encountering another vehicle, and watching both of our high beams switch off at the exact same time like the sensors are nodding to one another

• Funny
Reactions: dillon and EVNow
I did my test drive of 37 miles in all kinds of roads.

I had one pleasant surprise: Finally FSD is recognizing and reacting to Speed Bumps, including a graphic line in the display on my Model S. Speed limit was 35mph and it slowed to 15mph in plenty of time for the speed bump.

I did register about 2 dozen aborts in the 37 mile drive for a wide variety of reasons.

All stop signs were perfectly executed slowing to a stop in plenty of time and stopping right at the line.

Making left and right turns from a traffic light was still erratic and in some cases caused the abort as it wanted to turn into oncoming traffic-- That was real scary.

Had only 3 phantom braking instances.

I'm ready for v10.5+ now. Hopefully they are getting enough data to correct all the reports.

First FSD 10.4 test drive around Marco Is., FL today. This is not ready for the public! Very Jerky around corners if it tries to do them at all. Hard left turn on straight road. Panic braking on green light for left turn with no oncoming traffic. Usually either too aggressive or too cautious. NASCAR speeds on turns. Hit the video camera icon a dozen times to report to Tesla. Turned FSD off for now. Too stressful. Don't be impatient to get this.

First FSD 10.4 test drive around Marco Is., FL today. This is not ready for the public! Very Jerky around corners if it tries to do them at all. Hard left turn on straight road. Panic braking on green light for left turn with no oncoming traffic. Usually either too aggressive or too cautious. NASCAR speeds on turns. Hit the video camera icon a dozen times to report to Tesla. Turned FSD off for now. Too stressful. Don't be impatient to get this.
It sure isn't. This "beta" tag is not just some legal CYA. It is really immature ... that is what makes it interesting for some of us ;)

Reactions: dillon
First #FSDBeta impressions (10.4): I was thrilled to get to finally try it out!! Impressive in some ways, but very far from prime-time. 15-mile drive through Pacific Palisades, ten necessary interventions/disengagements. I’ll list what I can remember:

1) Phantom forward collision warning on San Vicente. (A stopped bicyclist was in the median, no collision risk.)
2) The car tried to make right turn from San Vicente onto 7th St from the middle lane; I had to disengage and get into right-turn lane (there was traffic behind me).
3) On West Channel Rd, the car was supposed to go straight, but for some reason it got into a right-turn lane for a side street and I had to take over to correct it.
4) On PCH North, the road narrowed from 3 lanes to 2 and the car was in the rightmost disappearing lane. Plenty of chances to merge over but the car didn’t take them, and didn’t signal; eventually it got stuck and panicked (collision warning chime) and I had to take over.
5) On a two-lane segment of Coastline Drive going uphill, the car was in the right lane and a driver was exiting a parked car on the shoulder. The car simply stopped in the middle of the lane, when it should have merged left into the adjacent lane and continued.
6) On West Channel Rd, “Changing lanes” on a 1-lane street to avoid phantom cones (no real cones); there was nowhere to merge to, so I had to take over.
7) Left turn from 7th onto San Vicente with green arrow: the car stopped dead in the middle of the intersection for no reason, had to take over.
8) Unprotected left turn from San Vicente onto Gretna Green: a car was approaching fast in the oncoming lane, the car got halfway through the oncoming lane and stopped, and FSD spontaneously disengaged (no alarm chime, just ordinary disengagement chime); I had to immediately accelerate to get out of the way.
9) Right turn from Gretna Green onto Sunset; “Waiting our turn”, when it was obviously our turn. (Another car was turning left; we were turning right.)
10) Left turn from Sunset onto Bundy on a yellow light: the car stopped in the middle of the intersection, in front of cars on Bundy who now had a green light. Had to quickly take over and get out of their way.

Other notes: turning corners can be extremely wobbly and squirrelly, and several times the car creeped through entire intersections even when there were no other cars around. Several elective disengagements where the car was taking far too long at stop signs, stopping far too short at intersections, or being overly slow and cautious (on the middle setting) and annoying drivers behind me.

Looking forward to 10.5. Expecting the software to improve quickly; Tesla has their work cut out for them!

Last edited:
Reactions: Krock65 and EVNow
I have seen several of the issues mentioned above happen to me after a few more days with 10.4. I honestly think many parts of 10.3.1 were more stable, but regression is expected with NN.

I think that giving this to the public without any real training might be the downfall. I am not sure that humans will self-select the correct behavior and responses. People are expecting this to work, and don't understand. If you have FSD at this point, you acknowledge it DOESN'T work yet and agree to try and help make it better.

Some posters above seem to be expecting a mostly working product. If that was the case we would be riding in robotaxis. Regardless of what anyone was expecting as far as a 99.9999% solution, we are at a 99% or 99.9% solution. This is the march of nines. Consider what that means for 10,000 beta testers:

If the car makes 1000 decisions on your drive, you the individual will see 1-10 total failures. These failures will be corrected, slowly at first, then faster as the dataset grows and dojo comes online. As a whole, we see tens of thousands of failures but do we recognize millions of successes?

Despite owning my Tesla for 3 years now, I still do not focus on anything else while driving. I know it is a tool that requires human supervision, and that is still the expectation today. I don't check out on my phone, I don't play the video games while driving (why do allow the on-screen video games while driving anyway?) The chances are smallest of getting into an accident when both Jeeves and myself are driving together.

It will take many drivers many hours of this difficult work to get true FSD. I will continue to opt in and give feedback until it works better, but I know that is a choice only some people will make. Anyone who participates now really needs to have patience, wisdom and thick skin. In many ways, the old autopilot was much easier to use because it was more trustworthy. That current release version also completed 0% of unprotected left turns, and was a total failure on unmarked roads. The fact that this 10.4 version can somewhat succeed on some unmarked roads and unprotected left turns is remarkable in my opinion.