Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When your lane is the one merging, you should signal out of courtesy, and FSD should aspire to be "better than average human", right?
You must signal if you cross a white line - I was taught - such as a dotted white line at a merge point. This video has no line at this particular merge point (some do), but since our lane is ending it is courtesy to signal. For one thing it confers information to cars behind you that something is happening causing you to leave the lane. They are thus advised even if they are well back before the signs.

Like the signalling in / out of roundabouts, there are rules, courtesy, and some people may not know/obey any of them but they still exist for the "above average driver".
Why signal out of courtesy? What benefit does that serve? Honestly it’s discourteous as it is extraneous noise that could interfere with legitimate signals.

Of course my comment was in response to “two lanes merging” and not the “one lane ending” scenario you mentioned. Yes, if you are leaving your lane to enter another, you should signal.

I spent many years developing systems that responded to real world uncontrolled inputs. Simulations never fully replicate real world conditions.

Regardless, I find it curious that you complain about Tesla doing real world testing. Do you also fault Boeing for doing the same? Or all the other auto makers? How about Waymo, who boasts great simulation capability, yet has driven hundreds of thousands to test miles in the Phoenix area alone?

No doubt NASA's wasting an entire Artemis spacecraft by planning to send it unmanned to the moon must slightly ruffle your feathers.
The difference between simulation and reality is greater in reality than in simulation.

(Or something like that.)

But why couldn't they have used to all of Chuck's data to create the simulation? Or use their test vehicles to capture data? It looked much more like the were iterating by doing real world testing. When you look at the failures it's hard to imagine that they couldn't be covered by simulation.
Asking only because I don‘t recall ever seeing any. Prior to .69 was Chuck ever able to actually complete this turn to provide any useable data? I recall it giving up and turning right repeatedly. Unless I missed some vids. Unless he had many or any data fail vids my guess is they had to force collect their own.

But why couldn't they have used to all of Chuck's data to create the simulation? Or use their test vehicles to capture data? It looked much more like the were iterating by doing real world testing. When you look at the failures it's hard to imagine that they couldn't be covered by simulation.
Extrapolating from your statement, FSDb has been out for almost a year so at this point Tesla should have all the data they need from the current beta testers and should therefore be able to make perfect simulations eliminating the need for further beta testing.

If that sounds ridiculous it’s because it is.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Asking only because I don‘t recall ever seeing any. Prior to .69 was Chuck ever able to actually complete this turn to provide any useable data? I recall it giving up and turning right repeatedly. Unless I missed some vids. Unless he had many or any data fail vids my guess is they had to force collect their own.
I have seen FSD beta make this turn successfully many times on Chuck's videos. I've also seen him take over many times. There was one version, 10.12.1, maybe, that repeatedly rejected doing a left turn and bailed to the right.

Chuck's complete video library is on YouTube. I might have missed one, but as I recall, there are many videos of the car completing the ULT. The early videos did include many attempts where the car bailed and turned right. There are also many attempts where Chuck disengaged and took control. But there are also successful attempts. You'd have to ask Chuck for the exact percentage.

A366C52B-3892-4725-ACFE-EDC3BD25E87F.png

Siqq rollout

He was. He also made the turn many times manually. The usable data is the camera data which can be used to create a model of the area. The weather, time of day, vehicle types and trajectories are all generated by the simulator.
Extrapolating from your statement, FSDb has been out for almost a year so at this point Tesla should have all the data they need from the current beta testers and should therefore be able to make perfect simulations eliminating the need for further beta testing.

If that sounds ridiculous it’s because it is.
Yeah, that's ridiculous. I thought I made it clear that I'm not talking about edge cases or getting near human performance. I'm only talking about getting the turn to ~99.9% success.

So, I made good on my bet with @AlanSubie4Life and bought him a beer. While I'm very disappointed in the FSD team for failing to meet Elon's goal, the beer was good. Because of the harsh criticism @AlanSubie4Life has received here lately and because, let's be honest, he does need to appreciate the massive safety benefits of FSD beta more; I also bought him a road beer. Here's to another 🔥 update. Cheers!

1661319493103.jpeg

He was. He also made the turn many times manually. The usable data is the camera data which can be used to create a model of the area. The weather, time of day, vehicle types and trajectories are all generated by the simulator.

Yeah, that's ridiculous. I thought I made it clear that I'm not talking about edge cases or getting near human performance. I'm only talking about getting the turn to ~99.9% success.
Appreciate the clarification. Yeah I only watched his last video that I suspect triggered this interest by Tesla. Let’s hope they continue taking aggressive bites out of FSD improvements like they committed on this.

And for the not-road beer, there was doubt expressed about the value of this beer, so for the record, it was $10 after tax and tip. It was an SGS (Seriously Good Stuff) “Triple dry-hopped West Coast-style IPA w/ Cashmere & Strata”, whatever that means.
E3D046D0-70E3-4F3C-8D50-367AEB9325E1.jpeg

In retrospect since I was using FSD to get me home, I should have gotten the 9.5% Virtual Background, which unbelievably comes in a 16-oz pour. (No I am not serious.)

Anyway, I feel like my FSD investment has finally started to pay off.

Last edited:
Why signal out of courtesy? What benefit does that serve? Honestly it’s discourteous as it is extraneous noise that could interfere with legitimate signals.

Of course my comment was in response to “two lanes merging” and not the “one lane ending” scenario you mentioned. Yes, if you are leaving your lane to enter another, you should signal.
What I would like to know is why it often signals when going around a curve (sometimes even the wrong signal direction) BUT rarely signals when moving into a turn lane.🙃:rolleyes:

What I would like to know is why it often signals when going around a curve (sometimes even the wrong signal direction) BUT rarely signals when moving into a turn lane.🙃:rolleyes:
I've noticed that, too. In MN you're required to signal a turn 100 feet prior and it seems like FSD takes that very literally. If there's a 200' turn lane it won't signal until it's 100' from the intersection. Personally, I signal prior to entering the turn lane, as soon as I start to slow down to let other drivers know my intent. I don't know if that's legally required, but it's what most people do around here and seems like the courteous thing to do.

Reactions: Massive Attack
I've noticed that, too. In MN you're required to signal a turn 100 feet prior and it seems like FSD takes that very literally. If there's a 200' turn lane it won't signal until it's 100' from the intersection. Personally, I signal prior to entering the turn lane, as soon as I start to slow down to let other drivers know my intent. I don't know if that's legally required, but it's what most people do around here and seems like the courteous thing to do.
Agree. I've always thought FSD turned on blinkers too late. I will sometimes, depending on the turn, initiate the blinker earlier if there is a car close behind me,