Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dirty Tesla skipped commenting on some 10.69 behaviors in the most recent "10.69 Dominates Downtown Driving" video where early on, FSD Beta 10.13's new behavior for "Improved in-lane positioning on wide residential roads" seems to be causing a regression for parking lots almost driving into a parking sign pole:
View attachment 844185
Although parking lot behavior has always been pretty wonky with 10.x, and that might not be addressed until later in 11.x with single stack (initial release for highway and later improvements for parking lots?). Also interesting that the occupancy network didn't show the gray "little bumpies" in the visualization for that concrete sign base.

On the flip side, 10.69 is doing some maneuvers so naturally that maybe they aren't even worth pointing out anymore and just fast-forwarded such as being able to switch 2 lanes to the left within 200 feet after turning into the right-most lane and needing to get to the left-most:
View attachment 844186
The only reason I didn't comment about it is as i said, the intro was way too long so I cut it down. In the raw footage I did mention it got too close. I can post that later if people want. Nothing too exciting I said something along the lines of "jeeze do you see this pole" lol

At the same time, I recognize beta is not advertised for parking lots yet and they haven't been mentioned in updates yet. But, the car did route itself that direction.

Nothing too exciting I said something along the lines of "jeeze do you see this pole." At the same time, I recognize beta is not advertised for parking lots yet and they haven't been mentioned in updates yet
Thanks for checking. Seems like you can do a whole series of tests with the new occupancy network even outside of parking lots. That parking lot pole / concrete base was oddly placed in a parking spot, but it could have very well been in the street or on the side of a dirt road.

Last edited:
The only reason I didn't comment about it is as i said, the intro was way too long so I cut it down. In the raw footage I did mention it got too close. I can post that later if people want. Nothing too exciting I said something along the lines of "jeeze do you see this pole" lol

At the same time, I recognize beta is not advertised for parking lots yet and they haven't been mentioned in updates yet. But, the car did route itself that direction.
I'll "honk" your horn. Here is his latest 10.69. Have you got 10.69.1 yet?

Appreciated this drive since yesterday had to drive out in the burbs. Coming home was about 15 miles (about ½ on NoA stack) and I had BY FAR my longest disengagement drive (did disengage once but for my convenience to make a "squeeze" by right). I was so excited. Of course today in the city it Karmaed me and had a horrible drive.....but. Damn the burbs are soooooo much easer for Beta.

As expected imo...the x.x.1 and .2 builds are only meant to fix any gating bugs or safety concerns.
Since he says “early version of 10.69,” I expect these changes and adjustments in 10.69.1 or 2 (though the Tweet is ambiguous).

That’s why there is a new bet. This should close the 5-second gap issue and render me awestruck (and perhaps speechless though that seems unlikely).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Since he says “early release of 10.69,” I expect these changes and adjustments in 10.69.1 or 2.

That’s why there is a new bet. This should close the 5-second gap issue and render me awestruck.

given that the recall improvement percentages and dataset # of clips/percentages are exactly the same (from release notes), i'm guessing there are no algorithm changes. Maybe they tweaked a parameter to make it more aggressive. increased assertiveness probably means it could be be a little better sometimes, and maybe a little worse in other cases where it misjudges and jumps out in the middle of traffic when it shouldn't. Overall i don't expect any change to overall success/fail rate.

I mean do you really expect 10.69 -> 10.69.1 in 9 days is going to be significantly improved over 10.12.2->10.69 development over 3+ months?

Maybe they tweaked a parameter to make it more aggressive.
I mean, that is what he suggested they will do. What that looks like and when of course I don’t know.
Overall i don't expect any change to overall success/fail rate.
I expect an improvement (1 out of three of the failures, a missed 5-second gap, would theoretically be solved).

But we’ll see. They are such small sample sizes and so dependent on traffic it is hard to say how any given sample will do.

increased assertiveness probably means it could be be a little better sometimes, and maybe a little worse in other cases where it misjudges and jumps out in the middle of traffic when it shouldn't
Increasing crossing speed (it is inconsistent and they should push to a peak of 15-20mph or so, rather than 8mph (!!!) or 12mph) would only improve safety, from what we have seen in all recent clips. Obviously there may be exceptions in cases of u-turning traffic, etc.

This peak speed increase can be achieved with very little to zero impact on initial jerk, which impacts the safety and comfort.

I mean do you really expect 10.69 -> 10.69.1 in 9 days is going to be significantly improved over 10.12.2->10.69 development over 3+ months?
I mean, there were huge improvements in 10.69 vs. prior versions (at least 3x reduction in fail rate, perhaps more in busy conditions). It would require a much smaller improvement to get above 90% (less than 2x).

The biggest challenge I see for them is the inconsistency of stopping pose, and the root cause of that. But increased assertiveness should fix a lot of what we have seen. There have been an incredible number of perfectly safe gaps in all the videos we saw recently.

Remember, this is an easy, low complexity turn.

I would not have taken the bet if I thought there was no way they could fail, though!

Last edited:
No biggie but what the hell since it is 10.69.1. It is now on TeslaFi on a Model Y. Wonder if that is DirtyTesla?

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 5.41.37 PM.png

I'm curious what you think is a hard, high complexity turn. 😁
Much harder because only a few of the vehicles are driving on the right side of the road.
As @MrTemple says though the driver policy heuristic as to what to do once the car is presented with this situation in vectorspace is absolutely trivial to implement.
Seriously though, no interactions with other cars = easy newtonian physics problem (assuming good perception). Obviously the edge cases for Chuck's turn could be very challenging (I haven't seen any).

Last edited:
I'm curious what you think is a hard, high complexity turn. 😁
While I don't think that Chuck's turn is easy, I can think of much worse:
  • Turns with 70 MPH cross traffic speed limit. These are not uncommon in my area.
  • Turns with railroad crossings just before or after the turn.
  • One-two punch turns. Turns where you turn left followed by immediate right or vice versa, especially with multiple lanes.
  • Turns with worse occlusions. I have one or two of those just waiting, scary as it may be...

While I don't think that Chuck's turn is easy, I can think of much worse:
  • Turns with 70 MPH cross traffic speed limit. These are not uncommon in my area.
  • Turns with railroad crossings just before or after the turn.
  • One-two punch turns. Turns where you turn left followed by immediate right or vice versa, especially with multiple lanes.
  • Turns with worse occlusions. I have one or two of those just waiting, scary as it may be...
Unprotected left turns with 70MPH cross traffic?!? That sounds like terrible city planning - that should be a protected left!