Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know he uploads all of them? If he causes an accident, I have a hunch he’s not gonna show it.

The fact him hiding the audio of his raw footage (i.e. honks) probably means he has more to hide.

Mars shows the whole drive, no editing whatsoever. He also does a lot more drives than others, who mostly do the same routes or loops. Obviously he doesn't show every single drive he makes. He even says that when he's not recording, he's a lot more conservative with fsd beta.

I also like that Mars doesn't usually comment during his videos. He lets you make your own conclusions. Others will nitpick about stuff that the locals do that fsd doesn't, etc. That's fine, but I'm more interested in general performance and safety.

Twisty countryside roads are generally not a problem. I used it in my Yosemite and Big Sur trips extensively, multiple times a year. Nice to see its improvement in each drive.
Yes, those roads I would expect it to do well on, since they generally aren’t too twisty. I would think on the (brief) twistiest sections of Big Sur it would be a little annoying briefly (can be a little jerky around right corners), but maybe not.

I’m actually curious if we’ll see regressions here on 10.69, now that the car may have a better idea of what it can’t see. No tests that I am aware of.

In general, from the responses here, it is all making sense and is consistent:

People do use it on city streets, disengaging or overriding with the accelerator very often. That is what I would expect.

I’m a bit surprised there aren’t more passenger complaints though. It’s pretty annoying! Not a big deal if I’m the only one in the car.

I usually forget I have FSD in these situations. While on a freeway it is almost automatic to turn AP on (or consider if the conditions allow it to be used safely), I don’t even think about doing it on surface streets unless I consciously want to try it out. So for me, definitely not “weird to drive without it” (on city streets).

I’m a bit surprised there aren’t more passenger complaints though. It’s pretty annoying! Not a big deal if I’m the only one in the car.
I had a friend in the car several weeks ago, driving home from a dinner party and he wanted to see FSD in action. I set home as the destination, and enabled on the freeway. He started white knuckling pretty fast as it drove normally on the freeway. Like he was freaking out when it signaled and started lane changing, getting ready for the exit. He was convinced it was going to side swipe someone. Another moment someone was entering the freeway, and signaled in their lane to come over, but my car was moving much faster, and it just kept driving past him, so he changed lanes behind me. My friend panicked and asked why the car didn't slow down and let the other car in. He made me turn it off. 😂

I had a friend in the car several weeks ago, driving home from a dinner party and he wanted to see FSD in action. I set home as the destination, and enabled on the freeway. He started white knuckling pretty fast as it drove normally on the freeway. Like he was freaking out when it signaled and started lane changing, getting ready for the exit. He was convinced it was going to side swipe someone. Another moment someone was entering the freeway, and signaled in their lane to come over, but my car was moving much faster, and it just kept driving past him, so he changed lanes behind me. My friend panicked and asked why the car didn't slow down and let the other car in. He made me turn it off. 😂
This friend sounds like no fun, and maybe needs an anxiolytic. Usually freeways are fine. Car should have moved over with the merging traffic or otherwise avoided any risk though. It has no concept of good defensive driving, and that can be quite disconcerting. And it can cut people off like in that situation. It just drives where a human never would. Topic for another thread though really.

Reactions: outdoors
Yes, those roads I would expect it to do well on, since they generally aren’t too twisty. I would think on the (brief) twistiest sections of Big Sur it would be a little annoying briefly (can be a little jerky around right corners), but maybe not.

I’m actually curious if we’ll see regressions here on 10.69, now that the car may have a better idea of what it can’t see. No tests that I am aware of.

In general, from the responses here, it is all making sense and is consistent:

People do use it on city streets, disengaging or overriding with the accelerator very often. That is what I would expect.

I usually forget I have FSD in these situations. While on a freeway it is almost automatic to turn AP on (or consider if the conditions allow it to be used safely), I don’t even think about doing it on surface streets unless I consciously want to try it out. So for me, definitely not “weird to drive without it” (on city streets).
I love to use FSD. You definitely have to learn how to drive with it just like you have to get used to somebody else’s driving style when you are in the passenger seat and are used to driving everywhere yourself. I find that 10.12.2 has been very good at steering, but very often needs the accelerator applied at intersections to get it going. I actually enjoy this because it puts me in a little more control than if it did all the accelerating itself.

This friend sounds like no fun, and maybe needs an anxiolytic. Usually freeways are fine. Car should have moved over with the merging traffic or otherwise avoided any risk though. It has no concept of good defensive driving, and that can be quite disconcerting. And it can cut people off like in that situation. It just drives where a human never would. Topic for another thread though really.
It wasn't even a merge. The incoming lane was a separate lane, he was just trying to signal a lane change.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I love to use FSD. You definitely have to learn how to drive with it just like you have to get used to somebody else’s driving style when you are in the passenger seat and are used to driving everywhere yourself. I find that 10.12.2 has been very good at steering, but very often needs the accelerator applied at intersections to get it going. I actually enjoy this because it puts me in a little more control than if it did all the accelerating itself.
It’s the best of both worlds: the car drives itself like a responsible adult but you can still gun it like a teenager on the green light and leave everyone else behind in the dust (streets have speed limits but no acceleration limits).

I find that 10.12.2 has been very good at steering, but very often needs the accelerator applied at intersections to get it going. I actually enjoy this because it puts me in a little more control than if it did all the accelerating itself.
Yes, I go around with the accelerator vigorously pushed all the time. It results in near constant FCWs, haha.

One thing about the steering to be careful of is that you’ll find if you gun it around the corner to make it go a reasonable speed, the pathing will both steer it wide (well into the opposite lane) and then veer it all the way around and make a beeline for the inside sidewalk (usually gets very close before straightening up)! It’s kind of fun, like a slalom! I would never drive that way, but it is kind of fun to just gun it all the time while it beeps about everything. Hopefully some day the driving assertiveness will be reasonable.

The incoming lane was a separate lane, he was just trying to signal a lane change.
Yep. So annoying that the car does not understand this and get over like a normal human (traffic conditions permitting).

One thing about the steering to be careful of is that you’ll find if you gun it around the corner to make it go a reasonable speed, the pathing will both steer it wide (well into the opposite lane) and then veer it all the way around and make a beeline for the inside sidewalk (usually gets very close before straightening up)!
I've experienced this too. It's like the system wasn't ready for that acceleration and couldn't keep up in terms of its path planning. Now I avoid giving it too much juice in those turns, and it does better.

It’s the best of both worlds: the car drives itself like a responsible adult but you can still gun it like a teenager on the green light and leave everyone else behind in the dust (streets have speed limits but no acceleration limits).
I actually got pulled over for speeding.. The cop asked for all my information, which I gave him. Then I asked why I was pulled over. He said speeding. I said how fast was I going... no answer. He said "I was right behind you at the light when you took off".
I said ok, how fast was I going. No answer.... At this point I pretty much knew I wasn't going to get a ticket. He then goes back to his car for a few minutes, comes back and throws my drivers license through the window across my face, it lands on the passenger floor, and he says "slow down, this isn't a spaceship". I said "I wasn't aware it was against any law to accelerate quickly up to the speed limit." No response..He got back in his car and left. Since then I have asked a couple of police officers and deputies if there is a law against fast acceleration. They all said the same thing. As long as you aren't spinning your tires or making noise, hit the pedal as hard as you want... So that is what I do. One of the benefits of Tesla's... they don't make noise or spin tires!

Yes, I go around with the accelerator vigorously pushed all the time. It results in near constant FCWs, haha.

One thing about the steering to be careful of is that you’ll find if you gun it around the corner to make it go a reasonable speed, the pathing will both steer it wide (well into the opposite lane) and then veer it all the way around and make a beeline for the inside sidewalk (usually gets very close before straightening up)! It’s kind of fun, like a slalom! I would never drive that way, but it is kind of fun to just gun it all the time while it beeps about everything. Hopefully some day the driving assertiveness will be reasonable.

Yep. So annoying that the car does not understand this and get over like a normal human (traffic conditions permitting).
I use a very smooth acceleration curve when I’m giving Tessie a nudge through an intersection. I disengage when I’m in the mood to gun it at green lights. FCWs are no fun. Like if I want that I’ll just put a backseat driver in the car

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I think we have to be clear about what we're talking about, but I do have questions!

First, I completely understand prior to the beta, what the use cases were, and that many of those are quite useful. I'm not at all talking about NoA/AP etc.; this is not part of FSD so that's not what I'm talking about (it's part of EAP). I use these frequently. On the freeway it does pretty well, although I do sometimes have to apologize to my wife or passengers. Overall, these features are useful.
I don't do much freeway driving (post-covid). But when I do - I use AP all the time. Not NOA - mainly because I like to select my lane and stick to it. I avoid driving in peak traffic.

I'm really not talking about outside the city use. There's also a lot of additional value on country roads outside the city (where perhaps AP might be unavailable sometimes). It probably does very well on these types of roads as long as they're not too twisty.
I use it on country roads 100% - but I rarely drive on those.

However, that's not what we're talking about here. We're discussing the city streets aspect ONLY of course, since we're talking about FSD Beta. So in that context, I have a lot of questions about it being "weird to drive without it."
Yes, city/sub-urban driving is what I do most and use it "all the time".

1) What sort of city-type roads do you use it on?
- Mostly sub-urban
2) What sort of traffic do you use it in?
- low to medium. I do disengage in school zones.

3) Do you use it to turn corners, negotiate complex intersections, etc.?
- Yes, but will disengage based on how its doing. Will also disengage at roundabouts, when needed.

4) Do you use it with passengers in the car frequently?
- Yes, but mostly kids. My wife used to be very worried, but not so much after I pointed out she drives similarly ;)

5) If you're not using it to turn corners, and you're on surface streets, you really re-engage it all the time for just the straight stretches?
- I let it do 80% of turns.

6) If you do use it to turn corners, what do you do when it goes super slowly? Do you use it when other traffic is around? Do people honk at you?
- I've not had many occasions when it goes super-slowly. But in general I'd disengage when it goes slowly with lot of traffic. If the traffic is low, I'll press the accelerator.

7) What % of the time do you use it in these situations?
I disengage frequently - but will reengage unless I'm literally within a 100 ft of destination. But according to my analysis - over 50% of disengagements are because of roundabouts.

1662314389473.png

I'm just trying to understand.
I understand.

It's very strange to see Whole Mars' use scenario, for example - it doesn't seem useful at all for him (it's extremely slow, doesn't do stop signs well, etc.)! So I wonder if you're talking about that type of scenario, or something a bit different? I definitely can understand that in simpler city situations (for example I have a several mile long straight stretch with a lot of traffic lights, where it could be useful, if it could figure out not to camp next to other cars when driving), it would be a lot more useful.

Just want to know what we're discussing.
Omar is mostly driving in the "city" - and I drive mostly in sub-urbs. That is the key difference - so I've longer stretches of roads, but also easy traffic lights and turns. But overall my disengagement rate is not great ... but, then it is better than just AP on city roads before FSD Beta. I used AP on surface streets all the time too (where it worked - obviously not on unmarked roads).

1662314576460.png

Last edited: