Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't seem to grasp the meaning or purpose of beta software. That's OK. You don't have to use it whether you understand or not. Chose appropriately for yourself.

FSD is extremely difficult to solve. No need to tear down the real progress being made.

Regarding safety concerns: FSDb users are responsible. It's clearly stated by the system, and FSDb users must agree to the beta terms to test it. Yes, test it and provide feedback. Remember it's beta. This includes keeping hands on wheel, being attentive, and being ready to take over at all times.

Therefore, your driving with FSDb should be no less safe than when you're driving since you're supposed to intervene. That's kinda the point!

If you don't like that, you just shouldn't be using it. Don't worry though, it'll continue to improve without you. At some point it'll be out of beta and ready for you.
And yet it can't detect motorcycles or children. Doesn't care of your hands are on the wheel or not, as you can just flick the volume wheel to satisfy the annoying as heck nagging. Used to drive perfectly when there was radar, but then just had to get rid of that and give everyone whiplash with constant phantom braking - "OMG, I saw the shadow of a leaf. I better slam on the brakes". Used to park fine, but we can't have that, so they'll just remove ultrasonics and have the car slam into various objects in the garage and parking spaces while showing that the lawnmower next to the car is a semi truck in your garage. So much progress made, and yet there is Tesla FSD video of the car driving the exact same as today from several years ago.

• Funny
Reactions: Oil Freedom
Any news on the release that was expected this weekend?
Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 2.00.14 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Oil Freedom
Progress? Really?

That's from 2016, almost 7 years ago, and it's driving about the same as today, which is to say a complete failure and a danger to all other cars and humans around it.

That's not a fair comparison. That 2016 video was jerry rigged to show FSD. Tesla premapped the route and used hard coding to do the driving. They also repeated the route many times until they got a "zero intervention" drive that was good enough for the PR video. That video was not representative of the actual state of FSD in 2016. If you recall, when Tesla released AP2, it was only limited lane keeping, not at all what the video showed. In fact, it has taken Tesla several years just to get to feature parity with that 2016 video.

The fact that early FSD beta could not do any zero intervention drives at all and now we have many zero intervention drives on FSD beta is concrete proof that Tesla has made progress with FSD beta.

Thanks everyone for indulging me in a little thought experiment I had after reading an article on reverse psychology. I was trying to see if I could out-troll the trolls. Turns out I'm pretty good at it. :)

My apologies for my little excursion. Most old-timers here know I'm very pro-Tesla and pro-FSD Beta. And I'm one of the few guys who legitimately tries to help people as best I can so they can have the same amazing experience I have.

I just had an FSD Beta drive yesterday with a friend who hated it. I quietly turned it on, hoping he wouldn't notice. After about 4 miles of lane changes and various turns, it finally had a little jerk on a right turn and he said "Wait, did you turn on FSD?" I said "Yup, since we got off the freeway". He was a little annoyed with me, but had to admit "Okay, it's much smoother than before." I think if they improve the planner with 69.3, it's going to be impressing quite a few more people.

I also drove home from a party last night and we're having more of that weird monsoonal rain in SoCal, and the auto wipers did just fine, at night, in the rain. I still don't understand why it doesn't work for other people...
Agreed on the wipers. Mine have worked 100%.

The more you complain, the more I'm convinced you're actually a really bad driver who is simply incapable of intervening appropriately when FSDb needs correcting.

Or wait... Do you even have FSDb???
The more Dewg complains the more I believe Dewg is just enjoying our reactions and isn't actually serious. Just enjoys trolling.

I also drove home from a party last night and we're having more of that weird monsoonal rain in SoCal, and the auto wipers did just fine, at night, in the rain. I still don't understand why it doesn't work for other people...
Interesting, they were garbage for me last night on the 405. Maybe they work better on HW3!
It needs to learn that I want more wiper if I keep pressing the button...

Reactions: Dewg
Thanks everyone for indulging me in a little thought experiment I had after reading an article on reverse psychology. I was trying to see if I could out-troll the trolls. Turns out I'm pretty good at it. :)

My apologies for my little excursion. Most old-timers here know I'm very pro-Tesla and pro-FSD Beta. And I'm one of the few guys who legitimately tries to help people as best I can so they can have the same amazing experience I have.....
Funny just went for an afternoon drive and started on the mid west side (ATL). It was a lot of failures, one after the other. Oddly it always struggles the mid west side and today was no deferent. Navigated to the Rivian store since it was on easer west side streets and they only had 1 R1T's but did have 4 R1S's. It still had a few failures. I was about ready to agree with your alter-ego.

I then navigated across town to the east side. So strange since traffic was a lot heaver and pedestrians/VRUs was MANY times more but Beta started acting a little better. Still had several disengagement and had an odd "freak out" left turning across the Rainbow Crosswalk. Not sure if all the colors fooled it into thinking someone was crossing but it beeped, flashed red (didn't look down) and tried to stop with cars turning behind me. I have crossed it before without a problem but today there were a lot of people all around.

After that I did a little NW side (Buckhead) residential streets to calm my nerves. Amazing the closer you get to the burbs the drives seem to get exponentially better.

I don’t want to be the only one around here who is optimistic about the future of autonomous driving (and auto high beams)!

While I am critical of some aspects of Tesla's FSD approach (I think Tesla's FSD would benefit greatly from sensor fusion, a greater focus on driving policy and better maps), I am super optimistic about the future of autonomous driving in general.

I see lots of complaints about auto high beams but they actually work really well on my 2022 X. The only thing they do that isn’t correct is they initially see street lamps from a distance as headlights and will turn off the high beams but they realize pretty quickly it’s not a car and turn them back on.

Otherwise I haven’t had issues with it not turning them off for both taillights and headlights - it even turns them off for divided highways when the other cars are angled on a curve and my lights would hit them. I wonder if there have been camera improvements in the newer vehicles that make them work better?

Reactions: Dewg
The only thing they do that isn’t correct is they initially see street lamps from a distance as headlights and will turn off the high beams but they realize pretty quickly it’s not a car and turn them back on.
Exactly the sort of issue that is a problem for me. I benefit from high beams on main streets in my neighborhood in spite of street lights (normally means no need for high beams) due to the high speeds and presence of coyotes. Plus it dips lights for very bright and reflective signs (on occasion).

Hopefully when they start using the FSD stack and the 🔥 10.69 setup, detecting vehicles at over 200 meters with extremely high confidence, this will all go away. No need to dip the high beams for street lights and signs if the car knows no vehicles exist!

First step to being safer than a human is detecting all the vehicles a human can detect! Getting there with 10.69, maybe 10.69.3 will be the one!

Last edited:
Reactions: ironwill96
Exactly the sort of issue that is a problem for me. I benefit from high beams on main streets in my neighborhood in spite of street lights (normally means no need for high beams) due to the high speeds and presence of coyotes. Plus it dips lights for very bright and reflective signs (on occasion).

Hopefully when they start using the FSD stack and the 🔥 10.69 setup, detecting vehicles at over 200 meters with extremely high confidence, this will all go away. No need to dip the high beams for street lights and signs if the car knows no vehicles exist!

First step to being safer than a human is detecting all the vehicles a human can detect! Getting there!
I’m waiting for them to leverage the matrix headlights. I thought they used to blame regulations on why they hadn’t, but that hasn’t been a good excuse for a while now. Maybe when they can finally detect other vehicles with higher certainty, we’ll finally get that functionality.

I’m waiting for them to leverage the matrix headlights. I thought they used to blame regulations on why they hadn’t, but that hasn’t been a good excuse for a while now. Maybe when they can finally detect other vehicles with higher certainty, we’ll finally get that functionality.
It’s still not approved for implementation by US DOT. The excuse is still good

I've had some pretty good drives recently with several zero disengagement drives today

The one exception was a new interaction with a tractor trailer I let Tesla know about. The truck clearly needed extra room from the lane I was in to make his/her turn. Seeing that I disengaged and stopped well before the truck so there was room for the turn. Not sure what would have happened if I let FSD play out but there was traffic to my right and if we had gotten closer the truck would not have had room to turn.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
better maps
Just a hunch here, but maybe Tesla is having beta ignore maps for now. That would allow quicker training on how to handle situations where the maps are wrong or missing. Once it does well on pure vision, merging maps back in would suddenly vastly improve it's confidence in many situations. Heck, it could then automatically send in map corrections with description, gps and video...

Another hunch is that expanding the beta fleet results in more quickly accumulating miles driven on FSD beta so that meaningful safety statistics can be used in regulatory conversations and promotion. Take for example, California DMV's concern that calling it "Full Self Driving" may be deceptive. If FSD beta is statistically proven safer than human driving, then this "deceptive marketing" is saving lives. DMV would look pretty bad if they tried to argue against this name for the product when it successfully sells the product and improves everyone's safety when people buy it. I.e. Watch what it does, not what they call it.

Like I said, just hunches.

In other news, one last random thought: We understand that the cars themselves do not learn, but I wish they did. For example, there are pot holes on my usual routes which I simply drive around. The Tesla hits them every time, unless I intervene. It would be nice if the car noticed and remembered to do the same. Further, if it noticed and imitated how I drive, I would intervene less often - how much to slow down for turns, following distance, acceleration habits, etc. All just tweaks on parameters in how it drives. Would be cool if it paid attention. I'm fine with getting it working reliably safely first, but limiting the "machine learning" to what the development team teaches it would mean, no matter how they decide to make it drive, that drivers of one style or another will not be comfortable with it because it goes faster or slower, more or less aggressive, just drives differently than each owner would. And then there are my preferred routes...

SW

I don't know if this is a bug, but I certainly spotted this one this morning.

When I was in a double turn lane turning left. I bumped the turn signal to the left. The car jumped from the outside lane to the inside lane without hesitation. I wonder if the computer even looked it moved over so fast. Unlike trying to change lanes on a straight level road where it thinks about it for a half mile.

It made me think of my incident the day before when I had the car veered right into a car that was right there in that spot. He swerved and I disengaged or I would have hit him.

I tried it a couple more time and it doesn't seem to hesitate changing lanes. Oh you want me to go right Shure what ever you say, boom. I'm about to head home and will try it on the curve that gave me problems yesterday, provided there is no one there this time. I really don't think I would have hit the turn signal the wrong way.

Reactions: DarkForest