Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like how people say it only works in California because that's where it was trained, but then you show a video from another state and it's this reply... There's just no satisfying you people.

A lot of people who don't follow FSD closely have the wrong idea that FSDb was mostly trained on California roads, lol.

Tesla trains on data from the entire fleet. But since the engineers are from California, they're familiar with California road / driving heuristics, so they make design / planner decisions based on their collective lack of experience with other locales.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow and Dewg
I'm curious what people think:

If Tesla spent 3 months focusing all their CPU clusters, planner designs, and training data from fleet cars within X city, and then deploying a 1 billion parameter NN based solely on the road geometry, intersection, and heuristic data from X city. Would it pass a driving test in X city?

Where X city can be any city in the USA or just one easy city.

Last edited:

If Tesla spent 3 months focusing all their CPU clusters, planner designs, and training data from fleet cars within X city, and the deploying a 1 billion parameter NN based solely on the road geometry, intersection, and heuristic data from X city. Would it pass a driving test in X city?

Give us the parameters of the driving test.

1) Make a left turn (controlled and uncontrolled)
2) Same with right turn
3) Lane change with signal
4) 4 way stop
5) Traffic signal (basic intersection)
6) Keep speed limit

What else?

Give us the parameters of the driving test.

1) Make a left turn (controlled and uncontrolled)
2) Same with right turn
3) Lane change with signal
4) 4 way stop
5) Traffic signal (basic intersection)
6) Keep speed limit

What else?

I'm just doing a thought experiment for people to gauge how far ahead Tesla is in fsd lol

But I guess:

1) Pull over
2) Parallel park?
3) Yielding?

I had to perform a U-turn as a part of my driving test. But I bet the requirements vary greatly state to state.

Would be interested to see which states FSD Beta could pass a driving test in right now.
Yes! The old put-up or shut-up. At some point it would be telling to take a licensed state motor vehicle employee for an FSDb eval ride in a few different states. The video might even go viral. :)

If Tesla spent 3 months focusing all their CPU clusters, planner designs, and training data from fleet cars within X city, and then deploying a 1 billion parameter NN based solely on the road geometry, intersection, and heuristic data from X city. Would it pass a driving test in X city?

Easy. A driving test from a particular center takes one simple route. 4 years back they did it at AI day.

In the area where Dirty Tesla drives for people in their 80's would you prefer they drive with or without FSD? The caveat being they would need to take over for construction sites where manual gestures are used, school buses and school zones. Or any other unusual situation. I think based on his latest video I'd probably vote for with FSD. If you asked me that question a year ago I'd say definitely no. And if you asked that question of me when I got my first FSD release in October 2021 I'd say you were nuts for even asking. So progress just not enough progress.

In the area where Dirty Tesla drives for people in their 80's would you prefer they drive with or without FSD? The caveat being they would need to take over for construction sites where manual gestures are used, school buses and school zones. Or any other unusual situation. I think based on his latest video I'd probably vote for with FSD. If you asked me that question a year ago I'd say definitely no. And if you asked that question of me when I got my first FSD release in October 2021 I'd say you were nuts for even asking. So progress just not enough progress.

Are you saying that a 70 year old dude is better off letting Jesus take the wheel, and hopefully figuring out whatever wonky nonsense FSD is doing or is about to do and correct it, than use his 50 years of driving experience to just drive manually?

Debatable.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Are you saying that a 70 year old dude is better off letting Jesus take the wheel, and hopefully figuring out whatever wonky nonsense FSD is doing or is about to do and correct it, than use his 50 years of driving experience to just drive manually?

Debatable.
Why did you change my example from "people in their 80's" to a "70 year old dude"? Accuracy matters. My range of drivers is 10-20 years older than your example. And I also used the example of where Dirty Tesla drives not big city driving.

Pretty painful to watch video but this gives a more realistic picture of Beta driving in the city. He lives in the burbs and even states how much better it drives there.

Most of the issues I see there are:

1) Guy's max speed is 5mph over the limit
2) Road geometry perception and heuristics perception issues

In Tesla's approach, planning is intimately dependent on perception.

The big question is whether Tesla can achieve the generalized perception necessary with HW3 (to adequately navigate large urban downtowns). The answer is likely no.