Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until there is map data updating weekly there will be problems, once a year is not going to lead to success for navigation
Tesla doesn't need to update the navigation map data every week if it's acceptable to do some unnecessary maneuvers and reroute as it currently already behaves. If Tesla does start updating map data from the fleet, even once a year will gradually almost catch up as the same roads don't typically change every year.

Even faster than needing periodic navigation updates, Tesla has online navigation that could send back updated lanes/turns data for the specific route. Part of the reason why navigation updates are huge is that it covers all roads in the region/country/continent, so data just for your current trip would be much more compact.

Tesla doesn't need to update the navigation map data every week if it's acceptable to do some unnecessary maneuvers and reroute as it currently already behaves. If Tesla does start updating map data from the fleet, even once a year will gradually almost catch up as the same roads don't typically change every year.

Even faster than needing periodic navigation updates, Tesla has online navigation that could send back updated lanes/turns data for the specific route. Part of the reason why navigation updates are huge is that it covers all roads in the region/country/continent, so data just for your current trip would be much more compact.
I disagree with the first statement because roadways are constantly being changed and for the nav. to make correct lane choices it has to have the correct current info. Rerouting is not an answer to this problem because you could end up with an endless reroute if the car cannot chose the correct lanes. If the goal is in fact full self driving the info must be accurate and current.
I do agree with the second statement and would welcome nav. data updates that are route specific, possibly eliminating the need for weekly updates.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Those 30 ft crawls to the stop sign are painful. As well as braking to stop and dawdle at the entrance of a roundabout when there's no traffic or pedestrians anywhere in sight. They seem to be more than simple s/w bugs - these dot releases aren't the answer. Maybe the team needs to hire an exorcist.
or stop working at Twitter

Something I noticed on 10.69.25 is that it doesn’t always wait until the last minute to get into a turn lane like it used to.

During heavy traffic, turning could become useless if the turn lane became backed up.

Today, I noticed I hadn’t been having that issue lately when FSD entered a turn lane as soon as it was available. I think it’s still kind of clunky (entering the center turn lane earlier than it needs to), but it’s a step in the right direction.

There was too much rain to turn on FSD Beta, so I tested out the navigation / map data's understanding of turn lanes newly displayed with the holiday update. I set navigation to places I was driving away from, so on a multilane 1-way road, it would keep rerouting to head "back" at every intersection as I manually drove straight. Out of 17 intersections that could have shown upcoming turn lanes, only 6 showed the lanes data, so around 35% coverage.

Anybody else have a sense of what percentage of intersections in your area actually have turn lane data?

I can confirm that the auto wipers are as bad as they've always been. However, it looks like we can finally manually select wiper speeds - not sure this was available on past FSDb versions. This morning, the rain was sprinkling lightly and the auto wipers were going at full speed. I manually selected the 2nd speed and it was plenty. On the way back, the auto wipers allowed the windshield to get covered completely in road spray for several blocks until I manually set them to some speed. Both instances with FSDb enabled. Ironically just a few minutes before the wipers refused to activate, the system deemed the rain to be so heavy that FSDb disabled completely until I traveled under an overpass for a few blocks.

I can confirm that the auto wipers are as bad as they've always been. However, it looks like we can finally manually select wiper speeds - not sure this was available on past FSDb versions. This morning, the rain was sprinkling lightly and the auto wipers were going at full speed. I manually selected the 2nd speed and it was plenty. On the way back, the auto wipers allowed the windshield to get covered completely in road spray for several blocks until I manually set them to some speed. Both instances with FSDb enabled. Ironically just a few minutes before the wipers refused to activate, the system deemed the rain to be so heavy that FSDb disabled completely until I traveled under an overpass for a few blocks.
Junk

• Funny
I had to turn them off yesterday and it was sunny and dry all day

Something I noticed on 10.69.25 is that it doesn’t always wait until the last minute to get into a turn lane like it used to.

During heavy traffic, turning could become useless if the turn lane became backed up.

Today, I noticed I hadn’t been having that issue lately when FSD entered a turn lane as soon as it was available. I think it’s still kind of clunky (entering the center turn lane earlier than it needs to), but it’s a step in the right direction.
Yeah clunky is what's going to get people into robotaxis

Thats nice.

Usually autowipers take some time to get going - so I push the left side stalk button once - which will run the wipers once. Usually enough to get the auto wipers going.

There was too much rain to turn on FSD Beta, so I tested out the navigation / map data's understanding of turn lanes newly displayed with the holiday update. I set navigation to places I was driving away from, so on a multilane 1-way road, it would keep rerouting to head "back" at every intersection as I manually drove straight. Out of 17 intersections that could have shown upcoming turn lanes, only 6 showed the lanes data, so around 35% coverage.

Anybody else have a sense of what percentage of intersections in your area actually have turn lane data?

I'm surprised it's that low for you. I'd say in my area it's closer to 75% coverage. I've only noticed the lane display not coming up on smaller 2-3 lane intersections. They seem to have done a good job finding legal U-turns as well, as my lane displays now often also show a possible U-turn on quite a few lefts.

These FSD updates keep getting crappier and crappier. It's like the programmers have hit a wall (coding wise)
And do you read those release notes? I need a physicist to explain the to me about the photon stream and all
Agreed. The last 2-3 releases have been less than desirable. Some improvements, but a slew of regressions. My wife really cannot stand the phantom braking, which was mostly gone in 10.69.3.2, now, she’s like “just drive the $ucking car”. Whatever, maybe magical v11 will solve world hunger.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Thats nice.

Usually autowipers take some time to get going - so I push the left side stalk button once - which will run the wipers once. Usually enough to get the auto wipers going.
For the last couple of weeks the auto wipers have reliably come on 10 minutes into my ride, even though there’s no need to and the windows are completely clear.

These FSD updates keep getting crappier and crappier. It's like the programmers have hit a wall (coding wise)
And do you read those release notes? I need a physicist to explain the to me about the photon stream and all
in fairness they were previously panned for releasing "bug fixes and improvements"
there really is no pleasing everyone
folks complain about not getting specific
so they get specifics and folks complain that specifics don't make sense.
Do we really need someone to interpret FSD developer code during a beta?

In my experience the updates always improve something