Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I had my first opportunity last night to try out V11. 3 after getting it over the weekend. I had a great ride.
2018 Model 3, Dual Motor, HW3, FSD Beta, V11.3.4, 147.8K miles

Like Joshuagreene stated, I had a excellent 56 mile ride last night w/o any disengagements. Started out in a parking lot in a town, it drove through the town and back roads to the highway, handled the interchange off onto a secondary highway, through an ezpass tollbooth and through the town streets. The tollbooth was challenging for it, seeing there was a Stop sign on the adjacent cash tollbooth, a press of the accelerator nudged it along.

I did have to use the accelerator to move it along when a car was behind me at an intersection. Also had to manually use blinker to move it back to center lane on highway when cars closed on me in the left lane. This would happen if there was traffic in the center lane, if there wasn’t it would do it on it’s own.

Still has issues that need to be worked. Gets in a left turn only lane, when it should have stayed straight, never did this before on this road. Takes to long in neighborhood intersection. I just turn it off until on a regular road. Phantom braked this morning with sun blinding it and the building to the right recently demolished creating wide open space off to the right. Have to try it again this afternoon and see what happens. Doesn’t slow for railroad crossing, tracks are really bumpy, don’t want to lose the front end going over them. Track crossings back here in the east are not all smooth like in CA.

It slows down very quickly now with speed limit change. Hurray. It did stop for the notorious stop sign at top of hill, many version ago it started accelerating towards it, would brake hard ending in middle of intersection. This is an old horse and carriage 5 way intersection with all the roads converging on the top from blind angles and a driveway thrown in for good measure. Yesterday it started accelerating towards it, braked hard but stopped in time. The earliest versions it would almost stop on the way up the hill (>50’), way to early, then slowly drive up to it.

I agree with others, this is a significant improvement compared to all the V10 releases, seemed like we were dead ended with those. Yes it still needs work and retains the Beta status. I almost forgot, I was able to go long distances on the highway with my hands right next to the wheel without getting a nag every minute or so. Granted I was very focused on the road and wasn’t glancing around plus traffic was very light. I hope there is more of this to come in the future. It was a little unnerving not having your hands on the wheel and constantly ready to take control, but it was also insightful of the future. When we did reach areas with vehicles around I put hands back on, not sure I trust it that much. I think hands free will really take time psychologically to accept, maybe because of my age and years of driving. It’s great when cars aren’t around, but not so when you see them approaching. Kind of like the glass floor on the high rises, go ahead, walk out on it, or even jump on it, ugh you go first.

Go Tesla.

First highway drive to work on the new version. I had a few occasions where the car wanted to change lanes (blinker on but no actual lane changing) despite still going significantly faster than traffic in the adjacent lane. I wish it would require confirmation to change lanes like how NoA used to do. It's just one drive so I can't fault it too much yet. Hell, I haven't even checked all the settings yet. Everything did seem to be smoother, from acceleration and braking to lane changes.

That's right, when I went to get my cream earlier I did try to autopark in the CVS parking lot...... it backed half way into two spots, directly over the white line, then started to pull forward and another car came around the corner, then it got all confused and I had to take over. It was a bit annoying because I had to cancel auto park first before I can take over. I'll have to try it again somewhere quiet without other cars possibly interrupting it do it's magic.
Your AutoPart report reminds me of my “bitch-Summon” experience, back in the day when that parlor trick was released 🤣

First highway drive to work on the new version. I had a few occasions where the car wanted to change lanes (blinker on but no actual lane changing) despite still going significantly faster than traffic in the adjacent lane. I wish it would require confirmation to change lanes like how NoA used to do. It's just one drive so I can't fault it too much yet. Hell, I haven't even checked all the settings yet. Everything did seem to be smoother, from acceleration and braking to lane changes.
I noticed something very similar to this yesterday.. first time trying 11.3.4 on highway. Travelling about 75 in a 65 (this was just slightly above flow of traffic) car was in lane 2, initiated blinker for no reason to move RIGHT one lane, but another car was approaching fast in lane 3 (the next right lane) I waited and waited and then disengaged as I was quite concerned it would TRY and move right one lane while a car was approaching from the rear in that anticipated lane.

Same thing happened about five minutes later. No real need to move right a lane, but there was actually a CAR in the right lane in a HUMAN blind spot, that car was not shown as a RED spot in the NAV/FSD display, blinker was on till I cancelled within about 3 seconds.

I left it off the remainder of the drive home as the wife had had enough.

More and more, I’m thinking that IF I buy another Tesla I am most certainly NOT going to be adding FSD at time of purchase at all.

Last edited:
Definitely a lot of promise on the freeway. Seems like much more natural lane change behavior and has made some fairly impressive lane changes to hit exits. I do like the moving for trucks though it is too exaggerated and as others have said it should take all traffic into account - and why not do this for all vehicles especially those drifting in lanes?
In general, I agree with you...FSB seems more "natural", "smooth", "human-like" in its lane changes and lane selection, but I've also noticed that here in Maryland it isn't NEARLY aggressive enough in getting into some exit/interchange lanes... My morning commute takes the MD295->MD32 exit each morning but it waits until the literal last moment to get into the exit lane. This morning it was fine since no one was behind me but in most cases, someone will be behind me and think I am not taking the exit, cutting me off in the process. I keep reporting with verbal bug report of "you need to be way more aggressive when merging into exit lanes," hoping they'll up the aggression in the next release. (V11.3.3 here)

Reactions: FSDtester#1
That's right, when I went to get my cream earlier I did try to autopark in the CVS parking lot...... it backed half way into two spots, directly over the white line, then started to pull forward and another car came around the corner, then it got all confused and I had to take over. It was a bit annoying because I had to cancel auto park first before I can take over. I'll have to try it again somewhere quiet without other cars possibly interrupting it do it's magic.
I am yet to try autopark and it's "thanks, no thanks." Maybe if I really want to get my car damaged and have a lot of extra money under my pillows.

In general, I agree with you...FSB seems more "natural", "smooth", "human-like" in its lane changes and lane selection, but I've also noticed that here in Maryland it isn't NEARLY aggressive enough in getting into some exit/interchange lanes... My morning commute takes the MD295->MD32 exit each morning but it waits until the literal last moment to get into the exit lane. This morning it was fine since no one was behind me but in most cases, someone will be behind me and think I am not taking the exit, cutting me off in the process. I keep reporting with verbal bug report of "you need to be way more aggressive when merging into exit lanes," hoping they'll up the aggression in the next release. (V11.3.3 here)
Yeah. I noticed and posted too. Both on 270 and 495 on a Sunday evening when it would not exit you know how the drivers are in our DMV, they swiped closer to me to get ahead.

but I've also noticed that here in Maryland it isn't NEARLY aggressive enough in getting into some exit/interchange lanes...
Would you want the current software being aggressive in merges? FSD is a nervous teenager, and we're stuck with that until the development team has another insight into making automation work better. Unfortunately, I think their latest insight is to use a bigger hammer, which is why they're moving to HW4. Dramatically better cameras and more processing so that FSD can perceive the world with greater clarity.

There are moments where it clearly gets it and there are times when it just doesn't seem to recognize them (not soon enough for me anyway). The only disengagements that I have recorded a voice memo are speed bumps so far.

In earlier versions it looked like it "saw" speed bumps but was inconsistent at planning for them. I wasn't able to notice today if the visualization was recognizing the ones it didn't slow down for. It feels like there is specific training for speed bumps yet. Appropriate slow downs are probably just luck where the general planner recognizes that going fast was not the thing to do.
My car recognized two speed bumps in a parking lot that were painted solid white. It even seemed to understand that these were the more severe variety and slowed all the way down to 5 mph for them. It also clearly dodged a pothole in the same parking lot. There was no visualization for any of these, but the car clearly performed the correct maneuvers.

I'm not holding out hope that either will be a reliable feature yet, but there's some improvement there.

My car recognized two speed bumps in a parking lot that were painted solid white. It even seemed to understand that these were the more severe variety and slowed all the way down to 5 mph for them. It also clearly dodged a pothole in the same parking lot. There was no visualization for any of these, but the car clearly performed the correct maneuvers.

I'm not holding out hope that either will be a reliable feature yet, but there's some improvement there.
Sadly, recognition of speed bumps with cheverons still seems to be a fail with speeds on streets of 25-30 (on some streets around here that is still/also way too much) and even seeing the speed bump not decelerating enough in advance or at all or having a rough de-celeration just prior to the front wheels coming up to the leading edge of the rise. Black rubber speed bumps on black aspahlt ones which for some reason FEEL even harsher don’t get seen at all In one street near me.

Reactions: outdoors
Got 11.3.4 Saturday and used it yesterday morning for an I10 trip from Phoenix to Tucson. Cruising along about 80 when the dreaded red wheel of death appeared. Sister was following me and said car barely slowed while I reacted to it but a Highway patrolman gave me a warning for driving too slowly in the lane. I did have slight pressure on wheel and the warning for lack of pressure did not appear so it was just one of those weird bugs that happen to everyone but the YouTubers.

P.S. Of course there was no FSD strike for inattention. BTW my car is an older S with no interior camera so this was not caused by my eyes either.

Last edited:
I just did a quick run over.

Route 7 Westbound to Loudoun County Parkway Southbound from the right lane

I engaged FSD as I approached a yellow light. Car stopped, waited for the green, then navigated the intersection perfectly.

Loudoun County Parkway Northbound to Route 7 Eastbound from the left lane

I pulled up to a red light on FSD, but had a lead car. I disengaged, moved over to the left lane and reengaged. Car waited for the green, then navigated the intersection perfectly.

I'm on 11.3.3

I had other stuff to report such as a dangerous merge, and choosing to change lanes such that it would take Route 28 Southbound when I was on Route 7 Eastbound. Sigh. I noticed that FSD really works nicely when nobody is around, but the moment you introduce other cars, it gets pretty nervous. I wonder if HW4 is needed to give it enough information to relax.
JB did you get an error message telling you to push the gas pedal to proceed? I got the message the first time I tried to go through the day before. then the fun started the next day. That intersection always gives my car trouble when I'm alone trying to turn. It doesn't like the expansion joint and quits driving once and a while. If I'm following someone it behaves.

I reported to FSD beta this morning but cant send video which is to large. It caught two of the three attempts and cut off to soon. I didn't wait long enough to hit the save button.

FSD have been great, its been doing U-Turns no problem, reducing speed when in speed zone, but like you mostly driving in light traffic. I drove at least 300 miles this weekend and rally only had this one particular issue. This version has taken care of all my big issues related 69.2.1 or what ever version of 69 we were on. There are still minor bugs to work out.