Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Went out for another drive yesterday and the car completely came to a stop on side street with center marking because it thought there wasn’t enough room while a car came toward me. Flat-out hard brake to a stop. I can repeat this all day long on any road which is relatively narrow but still with plenty of space for a below average driver to navigate without a full-on stop.

So embarrassing.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Went out for another drive last night and the car completely came to a stop on side street with center marking because it thought there wasn’t enough room while a car came toward me. Flat-out hard brake to a stop. I can repeat this all day long on any road which is relatively narrow but still with plenty of space for a below average driver to navigate without a full-on stop.

So embarrassing.
Spill your coffee type of stop?

So I had two events on my drive yesterday. One was entering a rotary with a car on my left. It didn't give way to a car already in the rotary, it was just aggressive, generally I felt like it was pretty conservative and gave way to others really well.

The second one, little hard to describe, just basically it was a merge that was forced my some jersey barriers. It moved over nicely but as we got closer it pulled me hard right at the jersey barriers. That was the only actual intervention on my part.

Other than that it was really solid. Since my ride has completed, it there any opportunity for me to describe at least the event where I intervened?

Went out for another drive yesterday and the car completely came to a stop on side street with center marking because it thought there wasn’t enough room while a car came toward me. Flat-out hard brake to a stop. I can repeat this all day long on any road which is relatively narrow but still with plenty of space for a below average driver to navigate without a full-on stop.

So embarrassing.
Are you sure this isn't just a safety margin? Yes you, as the human driver, can risk whatever you'd like, but the car may be playing it safe. Did your car fold in the side mirrors? Did the car move over to the right as much as possibly to allow for the oncoming car to pass a little easier?

When you say "plenty of space", be more precise. 10 foot clearance? 5 foot? 2 foot? 1 foot? What one person deems "plenty", another person might think is too close for comfort.

To be clear, I'm not defending FSD Beta - just trying to understand the actual metrics of what's happening, and put a light on what the car may be doing correctly or incorrectly for others' benefits.

I’m sure FSD will work as well as the new vision system for parking. Embarrassing. Absolutely embarrassing.

This image sums up Tesla perfectly.

View attachment 924353
Yes, that's what many expected. Ignoring known limitations, cameras can be real-world revealing but all that data needs to be reduced down to a manageable size and that changes everything. From there the data needs to be reconstructed so there's lots of room for inaccuracies and failures which isn't what I need when I'm trying to safely maneuver a vehicle in tight quarters. Hopefully they can make improvements. This is another failed Tesla effort to contain cost without having a suitable plan in place.

Are you sure this isn't just a safety margin? Yes you, as the human driver, can risk whatever you'd like, but the car may be playing it safe. Did your car fold in the side mirrors? Did the car move over to the right as much as possibly to allow for the oncoming car to pass a little easier?

When you say "plenty of space", be more precise. 10 foot clearance? 5 foot? 2 foot? 1 foot? What one person deems "plenty", another person might think is too close for comfort.

To be clear, I'm not defending FSD Beta - just trying to understand the actual metrics of what's happening, and put a light on what the car may be doing correctly or incorrectly for others' benefits.
Several feet (let's say 2 feet) on either side, no mirrors folded in. And these roads are common as muck in Seattle. I would have been pulled over by the police for reckless driving coming to a complete standstill. The car did not move to the side any further. It just came to a full stop. This is what happens when you use cameras to judge distance and no other sensors.

JB did you get an error message telling you to push the gas pedal to proceed?
I didn't get anything exceptional. It was just another intersection as far as FSD was concerned. Note that I did my test at 11am. FSD is a vision system, so just the change in lighting could have implications to its behavior, though I'm obviously speculating there,

• Informative
Living a Tesla NIGHTMARE. No 11.3.x update this morning so on the way to gym decided to do a MCU reset. Of course not much chance of that working but what the hell do you have to lose? In a word: EVERYTHING. First the AC starting blowing full blast and came on as Low setting. Then I got what at first glance seemed like an improbable optimistic screen (keep in mind I'm driving). Saying Software Version V11.

What HELL happened? As best I can tell it appears I have experiences a full Factory Rest and lost EVERYTHING. I have no idea what to do. I did scedual a Service Appointment hoping that can get back. But I deafly afraid everything is gone for good.

Here is my Service Request:
While driving I did a MCU (2 button) reset. When screen came back on EVERYTHING was missing and AC was on LO/full blast. It was like it did a Factory Reset. I have NOTHING. Don’t have Acceleration Boost, Premium Connective, Profiles, Navigation, Favorites, Car Name, Trips, etc. How do I restore it or can you do it remotely?

Anyone have any idea on what can be done?

IMG_2656.jpeg

The V11.3.x rollout is curious. Gotta wonder if this is the new rollout strategy. Take time before pumping out an initial major release but then keep introducing small fast tweak improvements (bug fixes, data training set changes) for the fleet to see which has the least major complaints and/or near misses.

Otherwise why not keep the pump primed on daily fleet downloads? After a 2 day ramp up, v11.3.4 downloads are already fading. It's as if the Breaking Bad cooks don't know if they are coming or going.

Screenshot 2023-04-03 100541.png

Several feet (let's say 2 feet) on either side, no mirrors folded in. And these roads are common as muck in Seattle. I would have been pulled over by the police for reckless driving coming to a complete standstill. The car did not move to the side any further. It just came to a full stop. This is what happens when you use cameras to judge distance and no other sensors.
You're experiencing something similar to this?

We know that it can handle tight spaces - watch this recent clip - so it may be a safety margin that will get adjusted as they continue validating.

Thought Id share my 1st drive. Keep in mind that I am scheduled for computer replacement beacsue of FSD crashing so that might account for some of this BUT until this update (.4) I had not had any of these "issues". This was a 20 mile trip into town to eat breakfast, all surface streets.

1st the goods:
-much smoother in turns
-Braking was much better sometimes, others about the same, but never worse.
-4 way stops with traffic were great.
-BTW, love the on screen notifications of what its "thinking" and I like the new placement of them also.
-Speed limit changes (deceleration) are almost too abrupt... If we could split the difference from before and now it would be great..but Ill take this way over the old any day.

Now for the issues:
-about 1 mile into the drive FSD disengaged and would not give me the steering wheel icon again, I had do a 2SW reboot to get it back.
-on the way back I had to disengage to take an alternate route and once the nav picked up the new route I could not re engage FSD and I noticed the steering wheel icon was flashing on and off...not like a warning, it appeared like it was just confused? A 2SW reset fixed it again.
-sitting at stop light with green arrow, just waiting in traffic, the red wheel of death popped up and the sirens all went off. Once I hit the brake pedal I got a notification that "FSD disengaged due to system error" (bad computer??)

-The next 2 are the most curious. I hope I can articulate them good enough.
-getting near our destination (which was to the left of us on a 6 lane main road) I noticed the nav had us going to the right and through a parking lot to an intersection about 800 ft past the one I needed, then crossing the main rd I was on into the parking lot past our destination (but in the same lot). On the screen the intersection I needed to turn at was not even showing (on the turn by turn ion the IC display). I think it was showing on the main screen but did not really pay attention to that. This car has drove it self here many times and never had this issue until this morning.

-Next I was pulling out of a parking lot into a 4 lane (UPL), the nav had us pulling out and going right for 200ft and then making a u-turn to end up on the correct route...really not sure about this unless it was simply trying to avoid the UPL...but the U turn (which was right at a HUGE intersection) seems like a way riskier maneuver than the simple, very visible, UPL???

Did not get a chance to get on he interstate.
All on all if felt better (above issues not withstanding).
But I have also noticed the 1st day or 2 of a new release is always a bit wonky on my car, then it "Seems" to straighten out and get a lot better. Might be my imagination...but its awful consistent unlike my imagination lol
Another update worth mentioning...
Today on the way to the office had the following events that were NOT present before this update, Once again I have to keep in mind that my computer is getting replaced in 2 weeks. Also this is a 6 mile trip that I do every morning.

-Pulling out of my neighborhood, car stopped at stop sign and started creeping forward. A car was coming form the left so I figured FSD was going to stop (albeit a little too close to the road for me), when it shot out in front of the on coming car. Thank goodness it was traveling the same direction as I was going.
I am very familiar with FSD behavior and this one almost caught me off guard. It has NEVER done anything like that before and I am not one to sound alarms over "beta" software doing starnge things. I am confident behind the wheel AND with FSD and I am taking time to type this because I thought it was worthy of a post.

-other issues other than the bad navigation logic was the phantom slow downs (not out right braking) are back...I counted 11 of them in the 6 mile trip. I have not had this issue for many revisions (like 10.6 or so). Its like its seeing the shadows from the trees again.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: JB47394 and jebinc
Living a Tesla NIGHTMARE. No 11.3.x update this morning so on the way to gym decided to do a MCU reset. Of course not much chance of that working but what the hell do you have to lose? In a word: EVERYTHING. First the AC starting blowing full blast and came on as Low setting. Then I got what at first glance seemed like an improbable optimistic screen (keep in mind I'm driving). Saying Software Version V11.

What HELL happened? As best I can tell it appears I have experiences a full Factory Rest and lost EVERYTHING. I have no idea what to do. I did scedual a Service Appointment hoping that can get back. But I deafly afraid everything is gone for good.

Here is my Service Request:
While driving I did a MCU (2 button) reset. When screen came back on EVERYTHING was missing and AC was on LO/full blast. It was like it did a Factory Reset. I have NOTHING. Don’t have Acceleration Boost, Premium Connective, Profiles, Navigation, Favorites, Car Name, Trips, etc. How do I restore it or can you do it remotely?

Anyone have any idea on what can be done?

View attachment 924500
Try powering down the car completely - disable Sentry Mode and leave the car for 20 mins. Or use the power off option, but we need the main pack to disengage.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1

• Informative
Reactions: kabin

We know that it can handle tight spaces - watch this recent clip - so it may be a safety margin that will get adjusted as they continue validating.

Exactly like Chuck's except it had a center staggered yellow line. That, I'm sorry, is crap. Just because in the second video it can handle narrow spaces when stopped does not mean it can handle it at speed. That may require different sensors.

Such a weird idea for me as I've never felt the need to drive through a space so tight I needed to fold mirrors and that includes towing toy haulers.

But here, and in the other thread, it seems like you really are (defending poor/unsafe FSDb behaviors)... Why, is the question.

Try powering down the car completely - disable Sentry Mode and leave the car for 20 mins. Or use the power off option, but we need the main pack to disengage.
Already tried that when I first got home. Have also done a couple more MCU resets. May go down and do a MCU reset and the another Power Off. The problem is if the data is missing it must be gone. How the hell could this happen?

EDIT: Just to add every switch was cut off or disabled when this happened. Hell it was raining and it even cut the Wipers to Off.