Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Speaking of videos .... couple of interesting ones here.

You can see how FSD looks like from behind. Noticeable only at stops (esp. empty intersections). FSD has trouble at empty intersections because it takes more time to ascertain there is noone around than it takes to figure out what cars are nearby.

Second video is a comparison between Waymo & Tesla on the same route in Pheonix.

Tesla ofcourse beats Waymo handily in terms of time. Waymo also seems to confuse the passenger with a u-turn at the end.

Last edited:
I dunno about the 1x videos- but I've caught outright lies when he's posted his sped-up ones.... like a year+ before FSDb came out he posted one claiming his car took him to his favorite restaurant without intervention.... slow it down and it's super clear he was manually making turns and turning AP back on after each intersection. When this was called out in comments he said he meant no "unexpected" interventions and of course you have to do turns manually.

Pretty much gave up on anything he says about self driving at that point.
If you are going by what he posted 2+ years back ... you are missing out a lot.

He has made a lot of changes including even showing the brake/accelerator because people claimed he was pushing the accelerator when he was not. Also see his commentary in some of the videos - he calls out all the issues.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and jebinc

You can see how FSD looks like from behind. Noticeable only at stops (esp. empty intersections). FSD has trouble at empty intersections because it takes more time to ascertain there is noone around than it takes to figure out what cars are nearby.

Second video is a comparison between Waymo & Tesla on the same route in Pheonix.

Tesla ofcourse beats Waymo handily in terms of time. Waymo also seems to confuse the passenger with a u-turn at the end.

The Waymo's 3 point cul de sac turn was pretty cool.

He’s such a sad shill I have blocked him on Twitter. Plus I don’t watch any FSDB videos since I get to experience it live almost 100 miles every weekday 🤨
Yea I can’t remember the last time I watched an FSDb video. Seems like a waste of time considering how different everyone’s experience is in different places.

This is the good stuff! For the first video, I love this format. Most of us who are into FSDb have experienced FSDb by this point ourselves and came to realize just how over-hyped FSDb was. For the vast majority of trips, zero intervention drives without being a nucance to other drivers was so unlikely that it seemed like the early FSDb videos which showed such drives were either lying or vastly under emphasized FSDb mistakes. Finally, with v11, I think a good portion of us, but not all, are in low intervention territory. Personally, I went from disengaging in almost every intersection with v10 too only a few in v11. Sometimes I even get a no intervention drive. However, what is harder to get a grasp on is how FSDb looks to other drivers. I think this is kind of an ultimate turing test for FSDb. Ideally other drivers, especially none tesla geeks, shouldn't be able to tell a FSD driven tesla from a manually driven tesla. When you are in the front seat of a tesla, all the little mistakes like wheel shakes and hesitations, feel massive. But to other drivers, I'm not sure they'd notice as much. I think the ultimate FSDb video would be pairing a front seat view with a follow car or 3rd person following drone view to get an idea of how bad the many 'soft' mistakes FSDb makes would appear to other drivers on the road.

The next video I love too. Even though waymo vs Tesla is a apples to oranges comparison (waymo can drive with no driver, Teslas cannot), comparing the fruits of the two different development methods is intriguing. It's interesting how waymo, despite being so restricted, still has significant wheel micro shakes (the kind which I think we saw heavily with v10) and how smoothly the Tesla operates. It almost feels like waymo's development style is an ultimate dead end (it's taking too long to make competent in too narrow conditions, with endless problems as it's area of operation is expanded. Going niche to generalized may be too costly and take too long to be practical), whereas Tesla could geofence Teslas to safe roads where it performs well and could outperform waymo in the robotaxi department by as soon as next year. With FSD drivers mapping out zero intervention drives which could, after review, be added to the robotaxi fleet, dynamically, overtime. However, I don't think Tesla is or is going to try seriously developing a robotaxi for some time and I'm quite happy with a super capable L2 system than a sparse and highly restricted true FSD robotaxi system. Maybe in another 5 years, waymos may reach my city but by that time FSDb may not only reach every city (Edit, I mean it already technically does, but I mean as released by default to all Teslas. As in it's the default version of the software instead of being sequestered to the awkward opt in system which it currently is) in the US but possibly other countries (I think there are rumors about expanding FSDb to China).

In any case, I hope both formats catch on for FSDb videos going forward as first person test drives increasingly lose value to everyone but those considering buying FSD or a Tesla for the first time.

Last edited:
Took my first drive on V11.3.6 this morning. Previously had 11.3.4. No noticeable changes in the updated version. Still having problems where the car pulls into a turn-only lane instead of remaining in the right lane to continue forward. Fairly smooth acceleration and deceleration with these versions, though, much less "slamming on the brakes" than I had in 10.69.

I'm satisfied with the ongoing improvements, and understand I have to closely supervise my car instead of texting or reading a book while driving.

I did drive for several miles without actually touching the yoke, by remaining perfectly still with my eyes on the road ahead. I like that a lot!

Took my first drive on V11.3.6 this morning. Previously had 11.3.4. No noticeable changes in the updated version. Still having problems where the car pulls into a turn-only lane instead of remaining in the right lane to continue forward. Fairly smooth acceleration and deceleration with these versions, though, much less "slamming on the brakes" than I had in 10.69.

I'm satisfied with the ongoing improvements, and understand I have to closely supervise my car instead of texting or reading a book while driving.

I did drive for several miles without actually touching the yoke, by remaining perfectly still with my eyes on the road ahead. I like that a lot!
I get the normal nags with 11.3.3 so maybe things changed with 3.4? My eyes and head are always scanning for what ifs so maybe I won't notice an improvement.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I get the normal nags with 11.3.3 so maybe things changed with 3.4? My eyes and head are always scanning for what ifs so maybe I won't notice an improvement.
I never got 11.3.3, I went straight to 11.3.4. The nags were significantly reduced for me on 11.3.4, and now seem to be even further reduced on 11.3.6. If you take your eyes off the road to look at your phone or at the touch screen for too long, you do get a quick nag still, along with an admonishment to pay attention to the road. I'm okay with that, and it does feel like we're heading towards a time that we'll be able to drive hands-free so long as we are clearly paying attention to the road.

Once I catch someone pretty clearly outright lying to deceive I'm not super interested in what they have to say- especially when we've got plenty of clearly more honest folks like Chuck Cook to listen to.
Up to you ... but I find his videos very interesting and informative. I want to see FSD driven on roads I'm (atleast somewhat) familiar with. Noone else seems to drive in SF.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
On a short drive this morning had 2 turning lane failures. 1) Was turning left and got into the (2 left turn lanes) right left turn lane. When light changed it just plowed ahead straight and recalculated route. 2) Driving down one-way multilane needing to go straight and it got over in the far left lane that was turn only and even had a UPS truck double parked in it.

On a short drive this morning had 2 turning lane failures. 1) Was turning left and got into the (2 left turn lanes) right left turn lane. When light changed it just plowed ahead straight and recalculated route. 2) Deriving down one-way multilane needing to go straight and it got over in the far left lane that was turn only and even had a UPS truck double parked in it.
See what you were missing? ;)

11.3.6 not very different for me versus 11.3.3. Drove it about 20 miles this morning and afternoon in a mix of city streets and highway.

Worked well for the most part but still slowed down rapidly on an on ramp for what I can only assume was because of shadows from the trees on the road?

I also had to intervene once because it had gotten over to the left lane and I was less than 0.3 miles from needing to turn right into a store and seemed to have no desire to move over with traffic present. Path planner needs to plan ahead better for upcoming turns. On city streets I’d expect it to start to get over a half mile before and on highways at the one mile mark.