Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Short drive to Waffle House for breakfast this morning. Car made the left turn leaving driveway made right turn onto main road, made left turn at light, got into left lane of 4 lane roadway, 1000 feet from WH announced it was getting into the right lane to follow route and it did, the only problem is the WH was on the left.
Similar thing happened to me, came off the interstate, car signals left, says it’s going to turn left, then proceeded to get into the two right turning lanes from the two left turning lanes.

Short drive to Waffle House for breakfast this morning. Car made the left turn leaving driveway made right turn onto main road, made left turn at light, got into left lane of 4 lane roadway, 1000 feet from WH announced it was getting into the right lane to follow route and it did, the only problem is the WH was on the left.
I swear there is a logic error/bit flip in sorting out left and right. I'm still on 11.3.6. I get the occasional need switch to the left lane, but FSD ends up switching to the right lane and vice versa. If it was human, you would attribute these kinds of errors to getting left and right backwards.

My yesterday's late night FSD driving home was beautiful. The car merged flawlessly with 3 freeways, each merge had 2 merging lanes. The car also exited from freeway and drove me home through 4 left, right turns and 4, 5 stop signs without hiccup. There was one thing strange though: at one point on a freeway, I saw a message "Full Self Driving is not available" or something like that. I had to cancel FSD. Does anyone see that before?

I always have one or two lane selection issues in every drive (except for very short ones). I've to intervene to force lane change to the correct lane.

IMO, one of the reasons we don't see this much on YT is because the drivers there just let FSD miss the turns and reroute. I guess they have plenty of time.

I always have one or two lane selection issues in every drive (except for very short ones). I've to intervene to force lane change to the correct lane.

IMO, one of the reasons we don't see this much on YT is because the drivers there just let FSD miss the turns and reroute. I guess they have plenty of time.
Anything to avoid showing a disengagement they will allow…

Just to ease any concerns some may have had I did get to the WH, I had a blueberry waffle two sausages and a decaf coffee.

This bit of changing lanes “to follow route” is baffling. Sometimes it makes sense, but there are others in which the decision making is an enigma. I used to drive north on I5 though South Orange County. The road is 4 or 5 lanes wide, all going to the same place for many miles. Repeatedly I had to fight against the car putting me in the #1 lane (fastest) “to follow route” when every other lane also followed route, and being somewhat slower than others I had no business in the fast lane. I eventually just gave up on it in that area. The last version (11.3.6) I used in that area was better, but there are others. I wish we could get some explanation of what it is thinking when it makes these choices.

I don't like how the car does during an exchange where a car is exiting onto a feeder on the off ramp in the exact same place that the on ramp is starting. The car gets very confused on how to get into the on ramp and always assumes it needs to slow down to let the car exiting the off ramp to have room even if it is quite a bit behind. Often times the other driver even slows down to give room so that they can change lanes and take your place. I have to use the accelerator to accelerate and force the lane change.

I think something that is desperately needed is a +5 offset that is available to the car during lane changes and passing maneuvers. This should be on top of any offset that is manually set. The car will always try to cruise at the speed of the offset but then it sometimes stays neck and neck with another car in the adjacent lane and then only has the choice of slowing down for the person in order to change lanes. If it had an extra offset for passing it would be able to make lane exchanges much smoother.

This bit of changing lanes “to follow route” is baffling. Sometimes it makes sense, but there are others in which the decision making is an enigma. I used to drive north on I5 though South Orange County. The road is 4 or 5 lanes wide, all going to the same place for many miles. Repeatedly I had to fight against the car putting me in the #1 lane (fastest) “to follow route” when every other lane also followed route, and being somewhat slower than others I had no business in the fast lane. I eventually just gave up on it in that area. The last version (11.3.6) I used in that area was better, but there are others. I wish we could get some explanation of what it is thinking when it makes these choices.
I5 just north of San Clemente (Aviara pkwy) it repeatedly tries to exit the carpool lane, to 'follow route', even though the next turn is over 20 miles away. Same thing sometimes happens near Solana Beach.

In general, carpool route control is not very good. In other places (LA 10/110 freeway) it tries to use the regular lanes at an interchange to go from one to the other freeway even though there is a carpool-specific route.

BTW: this was with 11.3.6, I'll try 11.4.2 next time.

Trip home from the cabin. Vehicle wanted to merge back to the slow lane multiple times despite traveling probably 5 mph faster in the left lane, and despite there not being a significant gap to merge into. Vehicle set to chill and reduce lane changes so unsure what it was wanting to move back over for. Daytime drive, sunny conditions, divided highway with two lanes each direction.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I don’t know if this is a common problem but 11.3.6 seems to be unable to navigate a left-hand turn where two lanes are turning at the same time in both directions. If I am in the far left lane, it swings wide and cuts off the car in the near left lane. If I am in the near left lane, it swings wide and threatens to ram the car turning left in the opposite direction.

Reactions: Pdubs