Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Anyone else experiencing this side-to-side wobble? See video. It's pretty bad! It started with 11.3.6 and no change with recent update to 11.4.2

Only when the car is driving. I tried both FSDb or TACC same thing.
If I disengage I don't feel anything our of the ordinary. Even without touching the wheel the car goes straight as an arrow.

Below 50 mph hardly any wobble at all, but above 65 mph it gets really noticeable.
The faster I go and the more it wobbles. It's making my GF sick so this is serious!!

Only on AP/FSDb. Driving manual ... smooth as butter.

Had an alignment, made no difference.
Tires are in good shape; rear are new and front have lots of thread left... suspension inspected and all is tight ... no idea what to do :(

Yes, I've forgotten to note this, the car feels like it is oscillating. Like a system try to target value but always overshooting and having to come back.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
11.4.2 seems to be worse than 11.3.6 as it approaches the first stop sign when leaving our neighborhood. It brakes firmly well before the limit line and creeps slow from there.

This was bad before 11.3.6 and was fixed with that release. But the problem is back. Sigh.

On the other hand, 11.4.2 now manages to merge onto the freeway, out of a short merge lane which turns into an exit lane. 11.3.6 would often take the exit instead of merging, or veer across the clearly marked triangular gore, which is supposed to be a no-go zone.

We did a 600 mile round trip along CA 101, and the FSD version of highway autopilot was active most of the way. It also did well on curvy 2 lane roads in the foothills, far, far better than the old AP. It slows nicely for sharper turns. 11.3.6 did these well too. I am hoping my wife will finally give FSD a try, but on freeways only for now.

Regarding those 600 miles, I'm thinking it will sure be nice when I don't have to pay so much attention to the flashing blue display. It will be nice when/if we ever do get to just let go of the wheel and keep an eye on the situation rather than hang a hand on the wheel but keep an eye on the display, traffic, rear view, route, lane choice, etc. It is getting pretty close to being ready, in my view. And I have never liked the steering wheel torque sense as a measure of attention - dumb that on AP, no torque is bad, a moderate torque means you are there, but more torque is disengage but keep TACC active. Either a wheel touch sense or much more sensitive torque sense would be better, I think. I have yet not notice a vision based in-attention warning. But my hand on the wheel is not enough, as it is too light a touch. End of rant.

Reactions: tivoboy
I'm particularly talking about this
- The car is coming close to an exit, the lanes are slowing down
- Now FSD needs to change to the right lane for exit
- Instead, FSD changes to the left lane !
- After 100 ft FSD changes back to the original lane
- Then it tries to change right to the exit lane - but too late

Or
- The car is coming close to an intersection
- Now FSD needs to go straight
- Instead, FSD changes to the right, turn lane !
- After 100 ft FSD tries changing back to the original lane
- But too late, so turns right ....

I've driven on these routes umpteen times without such issues. I doubt its a mapping issue (I've to check whether I got a map update at the same time as 11.4.2).

Seems to me - FSD long term planning is disconnected from short term planning to overtake vehicles or avoiding traffic jams. So, even though the car imminently needs to turn/change in one direction - it does the opposite.
Come to think of it, there is one spot where it does this for me - instead of staying on the current lane to go straight, it briefly tries to take the new right lane (turn only lane), but corrects itself within a split second, signals and come back. Recent older versions didn't do this before.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Regarding those 600 miles, I'm thinking it will sure be nice when I don't have to pay so much attention to the flashing blue display. It will be nice when/if we ever do get to just let go of the wheel and keep an eye on the situation rather than hang a hand on the wheel but keep an eye on the display, traffic, rear view, route, lane choice, etc. It is getting pretty close to being ready, in my view. And I have never liked the steering wheel torque sense as a measure of attention - dumb that on AP, no torque is bad, a moderate torque means you are there, but more torque is disengage but keep TACC active. Either a wheel touch sense or much more sensitive torque sense would be better, I think. I have yet not notice a vision based in-attention warning. But my hand on the wheel is not enough, as it is too light a touch. End of rant.
I’d like the introduction of an option to make the NAG, some sort of tone or bing or something. Especially when on highways, yes I focus on the road and let the car drive mostly - but sometimes I miss the nag, or when I’m doing something with the NAV I often tell my co-pilot to just stare at the screen and tell me if there is a nag or red wheel or something. I’d like to be able to turn on an audio indication - if one wants to - of either the initial nag or the incremental nag.

I had an interesting behavior on HW4 and 11.4.2 today. On a two way stop at an intersection where the cross traffic is a 55mph rural road, 11.4.2 blew right through the stop sign. I had enough visibility to see that there was no traffic coming on the cross road so I waited to see what 11.4.2 would do, and it ran right through the stop without slowing down (from 55mph) at all. The stop sign is in clear view (the intersection is all farm land with low height crops) and is completely upright, correct shape and color, and I can think of no reason why it failed to stop other than a failure to recognize the stop sign. The sun was fairly high in the sky and was not a factor. I will set up my camera and film this and post a link.

Joe

Both 11.3.6 and 11.4.2 still seem to be unable to recognize a speed limit sign like these. coming into this gated community last week and this, prior set road speed is 35, but enabling FSDb well in advance of these signs the car completely doesn’t recognize them - even the 2nd one which is pretty close to a standard sign. Anyone ever see signs like this get correctly recognized?

Attachments

• IMG_9517.jpeg
    IMG_9517.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9518.jpeg
    IMG_9518.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 44
Both 11.3.6 and 11.4.2 still seem to be unable to recognize a speed limit sign like these. coming into this gated community last week and this, prior set road speed is 35, but enabling FSDb well in advance of these signs the car completely doesn’t recognize them - even the 2nd one which is pretty close to a standard sign. Anyone ever see signs like this get correctly recognized?
No

Those speed limit signs do not meet DOT requirements and I would not expect Tesla to ever try to design in FSD detection for them, nor in my opinion, should they. Think about the computing requirements necessary for FSD to detect every possible mom and pop speed limit sign that could be created, and you will quickly realize that it would unnecessarily consume compute cycles.

Joe

Those speed limit signs do not meet DOT requirements and I would not expect Tesla to ever try to design in FSD detection for them, nor in my opinion, should they. Think about the computing requirements necessary for FSD to detect every possible mom and pop speed limit sign that could be created, and you will quickly realize that it would unnecessarily consume compute cycles.

Joe
Agree somewhat, but if one takes FSD worldwide, the variations for speed limit signs get even more varied so they have to be building additional libraries for regional and country signage.. not to mention language of course.

I guess robo taxis won’t ever be able to drive someone to their destination or pickup from inside an either gated or residential community where this type of signage is present.

Its all NN based. Just a question of having enough such signs to train.

Since there are probably not enough such signs, trying to recognize them will probably lead to more false positives.

Anyway, before these weird signs, I want Tesla to start recognizing school zones speed limits.

Agree somewhat, but if one takes FSD worldwide, the variations for speed limit signs get even more varied so they have to be building additional libraries for regional and country signage.. not to mention language of course.

I guess robo taxis won’t ever be able to drive someone to their destination or pickup from inside an either gated or residential community where this type of signage is present.
Each country will have their own standards. Expecting any automation to accept signs like that but still reject others is not a realistic expectation.
You have to wonder if those random neighborhood specific signs are legally enforceable.

Reactions: GSP and sleepydoc
In other interesting news. Joe Tegtmeyer did another interesting video about 11.4.2 and posted it on his twitter feed
This time he re-ran his batch of tests after doing a camera recalibration. The recalibration appears to had a positive effect on many of the issues.
The two things I took from his various comparitive tests
1-There is no difference between 2017 Model S and Model 3 versions of FSDb in the same situations
2-Camera recalibration actually does something ;)

In other interesting news. Joe Tegtmeyer did another interesting video about 11.4.2 and posted it on his twitter feed
This time he re-ran his batch of tests after doing a camera recalibration. The recalibration appears to had a positive effect on many of the issues.
The two things I took from his various comparitive tests
1-There is no difference between 2017 Model S and Model 3 versions of FSDb in the same situations
2-Camera recalibration actually does something ;)
I've been urging recalibration since starting on TMC. I recalibrate every major point release. Example: 11.3.6 -> 11.4.2 = recalibrate. 11.4.2 -> 11.4.3 = no recalibration

Each country will have their own standards. Expecting any automation to accept signs like that but still reject others is not a realistic expectation.
You have to wonder if those random neighborhood specific signs are legally enforceable.
Yes, I doubt it’s LEGALLY enforceable vis a vis the police from the city or county, probably more the HOA or residential community and it’s probably not a FINE per se but a demerit or penalty. For the home owner in such a community, that is probably enforceable to some extent, but for a car for hire service they could probably only BAN the vehicle (by license plate I guess) or possibly driver from access.

This area, BTW was all of PGA west which is a pretty sizable community in La Quinta/Palm Springs area.. there are many such communities like this there, and around the country. I’d be interested what their signage looks like across the spectrum - probably somewhat random and as others have noted, probably NOT the DOT official signage. As I said above, for the ethereal RoboTaxi fleet, this wouldn’t bode well.

I've been urging recalibration since starting on TMC. I recalibrate every major point release. Example: 11.3.6 -> 11.4.2 = recalibrate. 11.4.2 -> 11.4.3 = no recalibration
I have done recalibration about six times since starting FDSb about 20 months ago.. each time, it hasn’t appeared to do anything to correct the errors that I have encountered. My hope was that re-calibration would correct the median / center line offset issue that I continue to have (car wants to drive about 3-4 FEET from the center line, so VERY close to cars parked on the side - usually about 10-12 inches away when passing by) but sadly it has never adjusted that at all.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Its all NN based. Just a question of having enough such signs to train.

Since there are probably not enough such signs, trying to recognize them will probably lead to more false positives.

Anyway, before these weird signs, I want Tesla to start recognizing school zones speed limits.
And stop for school busses with flashing lights.