Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
The recent map update has corrected the speed limit for a very narrow and twisty country road. Now at 20mph down from 30mph which is good.
However while FSD can do Lombard Street FSD cannot drive this narrow road since FSD often is partly in the other lane. So I disengage since there is no way to know if a car is coming around the corner.

My question is why bother even using FSD on this road if Tesla needs V12 to train on human driving done correctly? Or should I just continue to disengage at every blind corner since FSD will never drive the road safely the way FSD works now?

The latest update 11.4.7.3 has gone many steps backwards.
  • A lot of phantom braking on the hwy. Car was going at 75 mph and suddenly dropped to 55 mph and there were no speed limit sign changes. This was on I 95S going towards Fredericksburg, VA from MD. It occurred a few times and traffic in that part is packed and a few times the car behind me had to go to the shoulder on the left side. Somehow, accidents were avoided. It occurred with a motorcyclist too once that almost crashed into me.
  • Lane selection is deteriorating. I have seen this the last few months and it is getting worse. The car would travel very fast on the merge lane and at least on two occasions it did not pay attention to 18 wheelers coming on that lane. (Some examples: I 81 S going to Blacksburg, VA from Front Royal, VA a big truck route; I 295 near Richmond; I 95N between Richmond and Springfield, VA.) I froze being so close and I disengaged and reported. FSD could have killed me. Also, the car would go on the left lane telling me that it is going to a faster lane. But that lane ends and the signs say very clearly. It happened both on local and hwy. I have attached pics. I disengaged and moved to the lane properly instead of being on the lane that was ending. This is the biggest blindspot for Tesla FSD as it is getting more junk and useless these days and also dangerous.
  • If there is a vehicle on the right lane to my car that has the turn signals on, my car would slow down and probably thinks the other vehicle is going to come in front of my car. That driver forgot to turn off the turn signals and my car was hesitant. It happened during the stop and go heavy traffic on I 95 N between Richmond and Woodbridge on numerous occasions whenever that vehicle is next to my car.
  • In MD the HOV lane travel depends on the time of the day and on other times any car can travel in that lane. So, I toggle it "on" and they are not toll lanes. However, in VA the HOV lanes are toll lanes and applicable any time of the day. Even tho I have "no toll lane" option selected in navigation, since our cars are illiterate, it will go to those HOV lanes because that is selected. So, I have to manually turn HOV lane off in the selection depending upon the jurisdiction as they are toll lanes in VA but not in MD in my DMV area. The car should read signs.

PXL_20231021_164347604.MP.jpgPXL_20231022_195442194.jpg

Sometime ago I recall Elon talking about using all cameras to detect rain, and not just the front windshield camera. Are they testing that out?
You mean they don't already? might explain the dry wipes, probably the most obvious example that AI is many times neither artificial or intelligent!
many animals do not have radar, but if you want to fly around and eat mosquitos at night, vision only is not your friend. Tesla should use "Prevision" based on weather radar, other realtime Teslas etc., to already be expecting raindrops. It should warn you on the display, rain on your route in 6 minutes.
will catquest be dojo AI enabled on the cybertruck?
when will the benefit, other than economic bottom line for Tesla, of removing radar and ultrasonic be realized? 23, 24, 25 or beyond? when will my 5 year old car be able to park in my garage safely?

Last edited:
Reactions: plumazul and enemji
I had two long trips, one about 400km, the other around 300km. I am familiar with both routes and I did this repeatedly with other versions recently.

I detected zero differences compare to the previous version.

Even the steering wheel nag didn't seem to change - no matter what I do, I always get the blue warning after about a minute or so. Sun glass on, or off. Hands near wheel or not. No biggie since just resting my hand on the wheel is enough to say by by to the warning.

As usual, minimal phantom braking - just one in my case, but at least it is consistent at that spot. It absolutely behaves fine during dusk with long shades projected by trees which used to an issue. Routing/lane choice making is still as bad as before.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Full year after the decision was made to ditch the USS sensors:
Yes, the lack of USS worries me a lot. I have a no USS model Y and regulary "check" the accuracy of the distance measurements to see if it improves, and unfortunately it hasn't improved at all.

If the car can't measure distance correctly, how can it ever self park (reverse smart summon, anyone?) or navigate tight spaces/parking lots autonomously?

I hope this improves with more AI but I am so very very skeptical.

Yes, the lack of USS worries me a lot. I have a no USS model Y and regulary "check" the accuracy of the distance measurements to see if it improves, and unfortunately it hasn't improved at all.

If the car can't measure distance correctly, how can it ever self park (reverse smart summon, anyone?) or navigate tight spaces/parking lots autonomously?

I hope this improves with more AI but I am so very very skeptical.
As the latest Pixel 8 Pro shows, AI can only take you so far without proper hardware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madmolecule
and the unimaginable happened today, and it was not good.

v11.1(2023.32.9) / v11.4.4

I was on FSDb. Came to a traffic light and it was red. Came to a stop. All good.

There were no cars ahead or behind me. Traffic was going across as they had the green. Then there was no traffic going across. I still had the red light. However the car starts creeping forward and then goes on full ahead. I glad I don’t trust technology so much and always keep my foot on top of the brake pedal while using FSDb. I was able to stop before it went any further.

It behaved almost like this was a stop sign, or maybe that the traffic signal was a recommendation only. 🤷🏽‍♂️

The recent map update has corrected the speed limit for a very narrow and twisty country road. Now at 20mph down from 30mph which is good.
However while FSD can do Lombard Street FSD cannot drive this narrow road since FSD often is partly in the other lane. So I disengage since there is no way to know if a car is coming around the corner.

My question is why bother even using FSD on this road if Tesla needs V12 to train on human driving done correctly? Or should I just continue to disengage at every blind corner since FSD will never drive the road safely the way FSD works now?
I've still got problems with FSD switching back and forth between 20 and 25 mph just about every side street in a residential area (where the speed limit is 25 everywhere). I need to check more carefully next time, but I think that if you're not using FSD, the speed limit actually stays at 25, I wonder if there is some additional logic that lowers the FSD speed limit for safety reasons.

Similar as to blind corners, I find FSD still takes a right turn into my street to wide. I let it continue with a car coming the other way yesterday, and it still did that (and the car moved away to give me space). There's absolutely no need for taking it wide as the parked cars are perfectly visible.

BTW: I am still on 11.4.4 (2023.32.9) I guess because the factory software it came with was newer than what's used for the current 11.4.7 branch.

many animals do not have radar, but if you want to fly around and eat mosquitos at night, vision only is not your friend.
My car doesn't seem to have any trouble intercepting bugs at night. BTW, humans are the only animal that uses radar. Bats, whales, and a few other mammals, use sonar. However, despite having sonar and a significant size advantage, whales have little success hunting mosquitos after dark.

Today it finally rains, while sitting at the SC, it started to drizzles, then after a while the wiper moved to wipe it, it's all good ... but that's it, then for the next 20 minutes drive, it never wipes, glad I still have the stalks and I can control it. From my experience, that so called "AI" auto wiper function never works well, sometimes it works, sometimes I have to start it manually, I am not sure this instance of failure is because of the FSDb software or it just plain broken.

Disappointed with 11.4.7.3 regression this morning. FSD didn't move to the 2 designated left turn lanes to go to freeway. I manually changed lane to the second left turn lane then reactivated FSD. FSD then deliberately moved to the main traffic on the right and missed the chance to enter freeway. This bug was fixed in 2, 3 earlier visions and now I come back to haunt me. Tesla developers should know I don't like Halloween.

Also there was some rain this morning but auto wipers didn't work.

On FSDb 11.4.7.3, anyone getting the annoying reroute to fastest route after picking an alternate route? I have the car set to reroute if saves 30 minutes or more. I always take an alternate route that is only 5 minutes longer but has much less traffic. About a minute after I choose it and start driving the car changed it to its preferred fastest route. Help!

Disappointed with 11.4.7.3 regression this morning. FSD didn't move to the 2 designated left turn lanes to go to freeway. I manually changed lane to the second left turn lane then reactivated FSD. FSD then deliberately moved to the main traffic on the right and missed the chance to enter freeway. This bug was fixed in 2, 3 earlier visions and now I come back to haunt me. Tesla developers should know I don't like Halloween.

Also there was some rain this morning but auto wipers didn't work.
FSD can work in the rain without wiping the windshield???

• Funny

I was on FSDb. Came to a traffic light and it was red. Came to a stop. All good.

There were no cars ahead or behind me. Traffic was going across as they had the green. Then there was no traffic going across. I still had the red light. However the car starts creeping forward and then goes on full ahead. I glad I don’t trust technology so much and always keep my foot on top of the brake pedal while using FSDb. I was able to stop before it went any further.

It behaved almost like this was a stop sign, or maybe that the traffic signal was a recommendation only. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Had this happen to me several times at One Particular Light. In both S->N and W->E directions. And at no other place.

One thing I think I noticed was that, on the display, the red lights were blinking. But to my eyes, they most definitely weren't.

I came up with a hypothesis that, perhaps, the sample rate of the camera and the blink rate of the LED-powered lights were in some kind of beat frequency. Once I started looking for that, "red light blinking on the display" thing, I noticed it at other lights, but without the, "Drive straight through" behavior.

So: Did you see notice anything squirrely on the display when this happened? Be nice if there's some corroboration..

It's only a light rain. I used manual wipers. I don't know whether it works in heavy rain.
I heard a lot of complaint of auto wiper does not work! But what is not working properly?

My other car's (not Tesla, but a Lexus) auto wiper sometimes don't start when it's raining too! I often have to adjust the wiper intervals also to adjust to my liking. I also some times wipe the windshield when I feel its dirty. So what is the problem if FSD think that the windshield needs some wipes. Dry wipes may be some ways of telling if its raining or not too. So???

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: plumazul
I heard a lot of complaint of auto wiper does not work! But what is not working properly?

My other car's auto wiper sometimes don't start when it's raining too! I often have to adjust the wiper intervals also to adjust to my liking. I also some times wipe the windshield when I feel its dirty. So what is the problem if FSD think that the windshield needs some wipes. Dry wipes may be some ways of telling if its raining or not too. So???
Those dry wipes never happened (or maybe once in a blue moon) on older firmwares. So it's definitely a regression. It's so bad that I switched the wipers to 'off'. Admittedly it hardly ever rains in SoCal :) Dry wipes happened every time when getting into the car (after opening the garage door).

On the other hand, the old problem of the wipers going crazy even with a small amount of rain has now changed to them not wiping enough. I do prefer that as it's easy to manually trigger some extra wipes when needed. Such a change is really bad in terms of software maturity though.

Same version and something similar for me today. Right on red, from a 35 mph side road to a 55 mph secondary highway and a gentle curve away from the intersection (not the best visibility but plenty good enough if you look - and I could see fine). It first stopped behind the light, then a couple seconds later I saw it say it was creeping forward for visibility. More like *lunging* forward! It wasn't creeping... it was accelerating. I had to hit the brake pretty quickly, noting for anyone on cross traffic they must've jumped seeing that silly Tesla driver barely in control. :eek: Disengage and report...

Today I was thinking about getting an "AI Student Driver" placard or similar, hoping to help cut me some slack. Now having second thoughts as that may net a lynch mob if this kind of stuff keeps up. I'm starting to get used to seeing drivers behind me, at a safe distance, then when my car does even a mild phantom braking (which it does relatively often) and they drop much further back... as exactly would I if the car ahead of me was behaving that way.

Last edited:
My car doesn't seem to have any trouble intercepting bugs at night. BTW, humans are the only animal that uses radar. Bats, whales, and a few other mammals, use sonar. However, despite having sonar and a significant size advantage, whales have little success hunting mosquitos after dark.
Agreed. But whales are on the top of the evolution food chain. They have a 10 foot tongue, and breathe through a hole in the top of their head. No need to hunt, the prey comes to them.