Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD fails to detect children in the road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's technically false advertising. It's an AEB test, and not a test when the FSD was turned on. All the video evidence that they show us are with FSD turned off, as pointed out by the very observant electrek.co:

Screen-Shot-2022-08-10-at-11.21.13-AM.jpg

The green icons of the steering wheel and path predictor (single solid green line in front of car icon) were never turned green.

Even when FSD was never turned on, the standard AEB should have kicked in, but as the Tesla manual claims, you can't rely on its AEB to prevent collisions, injuries, or death.

They hired professionals to test the FSD and they should demand a proper retest.
Wonder what the warning popping up on the screen says as well. They can afford 4K REDs for outside of the car, but inside it needs to be filmed on a 2005 Razr apparently.

Thanks for that info @Tam

I didn’t know this guy’s background. Now that I know better, it does seem like false advertising.

AI addict has also done videos where he tests the ability to avoid obstacles on the road, and shows the inability to avoid them.

This too, falls under AEB, though the video is titled with FSD. One could argue that AEB should stop the vehicle and avoid hitting the objects. Anyway..

The green icons of the steering wheel and path predictor (single solid green line in front of the car icon) never turned green.
Electrek has corrected their story (it was always very, very obvious that FSD Beta was engaged at the time of the collision; just had to view the webpage).

That egregious collisions easily avoidable by a human can occur should surprise no one.

I would expect that FSD Beta will avoid many collisions of this type. But not as many as a human would.

...Electrek has corrected their story...
Thanks for the update. I went to its site and downloaded the footage (before editing for the advertisement), and it turned out that the ad was edited poorly because the car operated in FSD but the ad failed to visualize that.

Nice and clear blue icons of the steering wheel and the path predictor. They lit up. The scene below was when it didn't display the obstacle on the instrument cluster yet, maybe due to distance limitation.

8wpHSYy.jpg

A bit closer, and the FSD now identified the obstacle:

C295LOH.jpg

FSD/AEB did not do the braking at the last moment, and it passed the buck to the human driver, as evidenced by the red steering icon, barely before the collision. NHTSA also noted this FSD/AEB disablement at the last minute.

vpgouiT.jpg

On another test run, FSD/AEB was not disabled as the path predictor was plotted to go around the obstacle shortly before the collision, and the collision (flying hat) happened anyway.

dCwukFF.jpg

In conclusion, although the ad visualization was poorly edited to give the impression that the FSD was not on, the non-ad clip is consistent with what we already know about how the FSD would function (it's beta, and don't place the kids in front to test it out) and, as reported by NHTSA (automatic last-minute system disablement).

Last edited:
Nothing I would imagine, since this is what Tesla says should happen. The media makes the mistake of making up capabilities that don’t exist at human levels of safety.

When in doubt, listen to Tesla, not the media. And not Elon of course.

This whole thing about ‘handing control back to the driver at the last moment to avoid responsibility for a crash’ is so Elon. And so scummy.

But, but - didn’t Elon say ‘it will do the worst thing at the worst possible time’?

Yeah, and charged $12K to do that, too.

This whole thing about ‘handing control back to the driver at the last moment to avoid responsibility for a crash’ is so Elon. And so scummy.

But, but - didn’t Elon say ‘it will do the worst thing at the worst possible time’?

Yeah, and charged $12K to do that, too.
Luckily FSD is a customer option so no fear it shouldn’t matter to you your saved!

Also the driver was always in control.

didn’t Elon say ‘it will do the worst thing at the worst possible time’?
No, that was Tesla, although Elon may have repeated it (can’t find an exact tweet).

The people love me. They love the transparency and lack of f-boism that I display.

Compare your forum reaction score to mine. And get back to me.

There is also a reason why you havent used the "ignore" feature on my account. You LOVE ME

🤣🤣
Oh jeez… this is one of the more pathetic posts on this forum. You know negative rep and positive rep both add to your score right….

Reactions: Yelobird
Oh boy, so FSD was on all the time. Wonder what the fanboy mafia has to say, now.

That you are in control of the vehicle at all times because guess what, that is what Tesla says. You are in control. This isn’t a reason to get rid of the beta.

But obviously AEB doesn’t exist in a Tesla and NSHTA should tell Tesla it has to remove that from its advertising. I wonder how a Tesla that used radar would have performed….

Oh boy, so FSD was on all the time. Wonder what the fanboy mafia has to say, now.
That it's still somehow filmed on a 2005 razr flip phone, and conveniently cuts off the bottom part of the screen, which in their ad has a giant warning dialogue being display that looks awfully close to the size of "cruise control will not break, accelerator is currently pressed".

If they want to be honest about this as a true test give crystal clear videos of the entire thing. Not selectively filmed portions that they then label as "unedited" when it's been spliced and slowed down.

Dear @Krugerrand

Do you have any credible arguments why you disagree with everything critical of Tesla?

Do you want Tesla to improve, or do you think behavior like not avoiding children on the road, or lack of AEB a ‘good thing’?

We need to acknowledge Tesla's collision avoidance technology issues and work on them to improve.

I read the owner's manual warnings, but I didn't think Tesla would put out a dangerous automation system that sometimes brakes for obstacles and sometimes doesn't.

My thinking did not change until I heard of Florida's first Autopilot fatality in 2016.

That's when I started to connect the dots between the owner's manual and the natural world: Yes, people could die if they don't follow instructions.

Elon Musk didn't deny the problem. He said he would modify the radar to work as if it's a LIDAR:

Some people do place their trust in Tesla as stated by Param Sharma (who has been arrested multiple times for "driving" his Model 3 from the back seat): "Elon Musk really knows what he's doing"

tesla-back-seat.jpg

Photo: TheDrive.com

Thus, we must be reminded that Tesla's collision issues have not been solved, even though many insist otherwise.

Even an influencer rallied the owners to bring their children in front of the Tesla to test the automatic braking in response to the smear ad:

Just like the response to the fatality in 2016 when Elon Musk stepped up and explained why it happened and what his plan was, this is a good time for Tesla to step up and explain the ad's campaign and how it could solve that problem again just like the way he did in 2016.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2101Guy
Reactions: Matias