Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD is a fraud

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I don't know but for my 02 if the system is full self driving then there should be no need to even have controls in a vehicle that is "full self driving" capable. The controls would be redundant and useless unless provided just for the novelty of driving the car yourself. That is probably sometime down the road before we see cars and systems that will be able to competently handle anything that they would encounter in the wild and truly be able to drive themselves without any driver intervention whatsoever from point A to point B doorstep to doorstep / parking stall to parking stall.

Well I don't know but for my 02 if the system is full self driving then there should be no need to even have controls in a vehicle that is "full self driving" capable. The controls would be redundant and useless unless provided just for the novelty of driving the car yourself. That is probably sometime down the road before we see cars and systems that will be able to competently handle anything that they would encounter in the wild and truly be able to drive themselves without any driver intervention whatsoever from point A to point B doorstep to doorstep / parking stall to parking stall.
I'm not sure if you're implying that you bought FSD therefore the car should be doing that today. Which I would agree, but it's not what Tesla is selling therefore not something anyone bought. You bought the FSD Capability, which is currently a set of features + a promise for future upgrades.

Absolutely, it always is. And always will be, at any given point in time!

Same sign at my favorite watering hole it says "free beer tomorrow". Actually I know some people that have paid as much as 5K or more for FSD and have nothing, probably don't even still have the car they paid for the option on. Certainly wouldn't be anything I'd be willing to pay for until it is prime time and it works and it has cleared all regulatory hurdles and can be used in all 50 states. YMMV ..

Reactions: Stan930
I'm not sure if you're implying that you bought FSD therefore the car should be doing that today. Which I would agree, but it's not what Tesla is selling therefore not something anyone bought. You bought the FSD Capability, which is currently a set of features + a promise for future upgrades.

No I have not nor would I have paid for FSD even if it was an option at the time. My car is a 2012 model S 85. No self-driving on that baby I still have to do it the old fashioned way.

But if I were to and likely we'll order a new model S in relatively short order there's no way I'm going to check the FSD box I just don't see any value in it without knowing when it's actually going to happen. But again that's just me.

No I have not nor would I have paid for FSD even if it was an option at the time. My car is a 2012 model S 85. No self-driving on that baby I still have to do it the old fashioned way.

But if I were to and likely we'll order a new model S in relatively short order there's no way I'm going to check the FSD box I just don't see any value in it without knowing when it's actually going to happen. But again that's just me.
In 2 weeks? :cool:

I like how you see it. I respect your point of view. I decided to jump in because I am confident that prices will increase. Paid 8K but financed. I think it made sense and I have no regrets, but again, I read a lot about it and I knew where I getting myself into. I think we both have different (but educated) opinions, and it's fine!

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
"Fraud" requires malicious intent. Neither "irrational exuberance" nor even incompetence rise to the level of "fraud".
It can be an attempt to acquire money by deception. When Elon oversaw construction of the November 2016 video and allowed it to say "Awaiting Regulatory Approval" when he knew the video was not their FSD software, and that regulatory approval was least of the limitations of the system, while encouraging people to buy an 'unlock code' that turned on Full-Self Driving, he intentionally collected money he was not entitled to. That Nov 2016 system was not powerful enough to do FSD, and it still isn't. Watch how slowly it reacts to sudden changes in the lane markers or barriers. We aren't even nearly quick enough to avoid moving objects since we can't always avoid static objects.

This is an observation. I did not go into FSD blindly. But the OP does have a valid point. It's been almost 5 years since it's been "just waiting for approval".

I love the down votes.

can you show me where your car is level 5?

can you show me where Tesla admitting they are level 2 is wrong?

can you show me where FSD isn’t some half ass beta version?

can you show me anything?

im waiting.…..

yea that’s what I thought.
Can you show me where Tesla guaranteed level five full self driving by a specific date in your bill of sale?

And before you go digging up old tweets from someone who owns only a fraction of Tesla shares, and has been scolded for his Twitter antics before, and has previously admitted he doesn’t know the difference between two weeks and two decades, for time is eternal to him, December isn’t a date, it’s a month. As long as it’s released in a December, Elon wins!

I agree 100%. Having just traded my C8 in on the Tesla Plaid and still owning a C7Z and having taken both on road courses and HPDE, the Plaid yolk is a joke. That is the first thing most other high performance car owners have asked me and I'm honest when I give feedback about things based on my experience and ownership, not just what I read on the internet or hear from somebody else reading on the internet. The C8 steering wheel is the best steering wheel I have ever placed my hands on. The only other place I have used a yolk is flying co-pilot in an airplane. If you look at a high performance aircraft...they don't use a yolk either they use a stick. If Tesla called today and said would you like a standard steering wheel replacement for the Yolk I would say gladly. I have been driving the Plaid with the yolk now for over a week and it is cumbersome to manage in some circumstances. Fine when driving in a straight line and managing corners at speed...not so much in day to day traffic handling sharp slow speed turns and u turns. Example I was making a U turn on the green light and a driver pulled up on the other side of the intersection to make a free right (which happens frequently) turning into my lane, I had to quickly adjust to avoid hitting the car making a free right. It meant I had to rapidly change the steering wheel positions when in full clock....it was challenging and I have been to race driving schools and tracked different cars for many years. It's only a matter of time until it causes and accident with an inexperienced driver.

*yoke.

Where did Tesla claim that? Are you saying the name "Full Self Driving", implies level 5? I would tend to agree it at least means something close to that. Otherwise it should be called almost full self driving or wannabe full self driving.
This was the original description of FSD.
1626273655987.png

ROFL at that above promise/pipe dream!!

This is Elon once again trying to give this impression of "autopilot" "flight navigation" blah blah...like this car is a F*&ng plane. I'm a pilot...trust me, the yoke is a great invention, for a plane, and operating it on the 3 axes of flight. Car, well IDK...haven't tried one.

What makes a stupid round steering wheel so great BTW? Or a flat bottom one for that matter many put on vehicles now?

An airplane yoke only goes about 90 degrees either direction, whereas a steering wheel goes lock to lock many times. So, that could be a bit strange..but likely wouldn't bother me at all.

Agreed about FSD in general, even crappy "autopilot" which slams on the breaks when it gets 75ft from a car ahead and you stare at the review mirror quickly wondering if the person behind is going to smash into the rear of you due to the stupid "vision" system. I know, it isn't intended for anything but divided highway operations...but hey, that means stop/go as well on a highway with traffic many have daily.

But I know, there are great "beta" videos of FSD v9 that shows the car driving smooth for like 70 people that actually have it in the wild.

People should be pissed, at themselves and Tesla for buying into something that has never existed for the average consumer.

With that said, let's hope V9 driving characteristics for vision cars trickles down to regular autopilot use/function to make it a better experience in general, and of course for the FSD people, you know...to make them feel like they got at least $100 worth of something for their $10k!!

This was the original description of FSD.
View attachment 684431
What seems especially questionable here is how much of the onus is put on regulatory approval and not on the technology/software, I'd say this blurb suggests the tech/software is already there but deployment hinges on validation and regulatory approval in each jurisdiction.

Strong usage of the word "will" seems dicey as well, these statements are not very open to interpretation. Your car will do this and your car will do that, and then finishing with a statement about using your Tesla to generate revenue through car sharing and ride hailing with details to be released "next year".

Not a legal expert but those seem like huge risks. I remember when the big story was people being able to have their car out making money driving other people around when the owner wasn't using it -- how soon do we see that happening?

Last edited by a moderator: