Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that they have done some code merging I wouldn't be surprised to see the new visualization released to a much larger group of FSD software owners but without the actual FSD Beta software for driving " city roads".
That would be a good move by Tesla by year end. They would then gradually release FSD beta to more owners.

SAE Doc said:
SAE INTERNATIONAL J3016TM JUN2018 Page 30 of 35
8.2 Levels are assigned, rather than measured, and reflect the design intent for the driving automation system feature as defined by its manufacturer.
So it is level 5 just like Elon said (because level are assigned by mfg and not measured) and all of you buffoons who thought Tesla wouldn't reach level 5, like me, are just wrong. haha Who knew Tesla has been level 5 since 2016?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
You might wanna take your own advice since my description was entirely accurate and your....guessing what's in them I supppose? is not.

With my earlier post, I'm not saying that Tesla will have achieved level 5 with the FSD beta wide release. With the FSD beta wide release, they've essentially achieved it "in my eyes." Since I don't really care for the sae levels anyway, the fsd beta has essentially all the features needed for level 5, and once it's widely released, Tesla will have deemed it reliable enough for the average Joe to use.

So it is level 5 just like Elon said (because level are assigned by mfg and not measured) and all of you buffoons who thought Tesla wouldn't reach level 5, like me, are just wrong. haha Who knew Tesla has been level 5 since 2016?

Uh... no.

Tesla has never stated the released system is intended for unmanned use.

In fact they explicitly say the opposite of that a bunch of places in the manual, the actual sales page for the option, and directly on the screen every time you turn the system on.

You're misunderstanding the use of the word "intent" there. Badly.

• Disagree
Reactions: DanCar
With my earlier post, I'm not saying that Tesla will have achieved level 5 with the FSD beta wide release. With the FSD beta wide release, they've essentially achieved it "in my eyes." Since I don't really care for the sae levels anyway, the fsd beta has essentially all the features needed for level 5, and once it's widely released, Tesla will have deemed it reliable enough for the average Joe to use.

...except you're missing the most fundamental difference between an L2 system (what they've actually released- including the FSD beta) and an L5 system.

One actively requires a human to be paying attention and supervising the driving task 100% of the time.

The one that is L5 never requires a human to even be in the car at any time.

• Disagree
Tesla has never stated the released system is intended for unmanned use.
Many times Elon and Tesla have.
Autopilot
Tesla said:
All new Tesla cars come standard with advanced hardware capable of providing Autopilot features today, and full self-driving capabilities in the future—through software updates designed to improve functionality over time.
In fact they explicitly say the opposite of that a bunch of places in the manual, the actual sales page for the option, and directly on the screen every time you turn the system on.
Yes, that is about current operation, not about future intent.

Admit it. First you said SAE levels have nothing to do with intent. I quote the manual where intent has everything to do with level and you completely fail to admit you are completely and absolutely wrong over and over again.

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
.except you're missing the most fundamental difference between an L2 system (what they've actually released- including the FSD beta) and an L5 system.

I know what you mean. I'm trying to make two different points:

1) the sae levels are meaningless to gauge progress, and they're stupid to me

2) the fsd beta has essentially all the features needed for level 5. This has been surprising for all of us. Many of us were thinking that Tesla would only release FSD in small bits and pieces. Once they release the FSD beta widely, it will show that Tesla is confident in the features and to me, that is essentially level 5 (or the best fsd feature set for a consumer release). Since I don't have many other options than to use sae levels for dramatic effect, I'll say level 5.

The wide release will optimistically be in 5-8 months.

• Disagree
Reactions: M@dHatter
Many times Elon has.

He absolutely has not said the current released system is for unmanned use.

Your claim is grossly, factually, untrue.

Yes, that is about current operation, not about future intent.

"future" intent doesn't even make sense in this context. You keep misunderstanding the SAE standard and adding words that don't exist in it.

The system sold today is not intended for unmanned use

Despite your just claiming otherwise 10 seconds ago.

Here it is in writing in case you're still unclear you're wrong about it.

fsdlevel.png

Admit it. First you said SAE levels have nothing to do with intent

Nothing to do with the FUTURE intent of things it does not currently do

Because it doesn't.

That seems obvious to everyone other than you here.

. I quote the manual where intent has everything to do with level

This, again, is grossly and factually wrong.

Your ignored 95% of their requirements and definition, then added words to the 5% you liked that aren't there.

SAE lists a bunch of things that are required functionality for L5.

Then states they don't test it personally or anything- they go by the stated intent of the system from its maker.

If a car maker says "Here is our L5 system. It is intended to do all the things SAE requires on an L5 system" then it's an L5 system.

In other words they're telling you the system as they are selling it to you is intended to work without ever needing a human under any conditions

Because that's what L5 driving is

By SAE definition.

Tesla has never, ever, ever made such a claim about any system available to the public (including the FSD beta)

They hope to offer a system like that someday.

Today is not that day.

Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

You keep not understanding the fundamental difference between:

"The system we are offering today is intended to do this thing"

and

"The system we are offering today ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT DO THIS THING but we intend to improve it some nebulous day in the future to do so"

SAE is discussing that first one.

You are confusing it with the second one.

and you completely fail to admit you are completely and absolutely wrong.

Mainly because I'm not wrong at all.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you I'm afraid.

It's not that complicated:

Tesla FSD is intended to be used as a robotaxi without driver intervention / without a driver

A future version of FSD is intended to be that.

That version does not currently exist.

The small beta test system is also not that and explicitly tells you it's not

Tesla FSD beta warning message said:
'Full Self-Driving' is in early limited access Beta and must be used with additional caution. 'It may do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road. 'Do not become complacent.

That is by definition and intent level 2

Elon on twitter has repeatedly explicitly said it's not reliable as recently as 2 days ago

Elon Musk said:
please be super cautious. Expect two steps forward, one back. Lot of new code was merged

When SAE says they trust the stated intent of a system from the car maker at a given level, they mean the CURRENT INTENT OF THE EXISTING system, not "we someday hope some future version will do this"

The system as sold TODAY is L2- INTENDED for use with CONSTANT human supervision. They tell you this half a dozen places including the owners manual, the actual sales page, and literally every time you turn the system on.

I agree it's not that complicated, yet people keep getting it wrong. Kind of remarkable.

I agree with you. It's level 2 right now, but it's designed to be a level 5 system, so whatever you think or however you want to interpret the sae levels is fine. Like I said, the sae levels are stupid, so to argue over something stupid in the first place doesn't get anyone very far. That's the reason there have been constant discussion over this level or that level. Once Tesla provides a robotaxi service, it can be level 0 or 10 for all we care.

It is a prototype Level 5 system.
Prototype Level 5 systems require human supervision to be tested safely.
There is nothing wrong with the SAE levels, people just have a hard time comprehending the quantum leap it takes to go from L2 to L3 or L4 (L5 is a pipe dream). There is nothing in between.