Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets summarize...
In this tweet, @verygreen is saying/implying that Tesla would be embarrassed and thus has to "save face" by hiding info of how this particular radar sees the world... because it resembles how lidar sees the world..

Now, for the same summary in pictures
View attachment 601414
View attachment 601415
View attachment 601417

Exactly. But the pic you posted is 360 lidar, not forward facing lidar.

Elon said that Lidar is a crutch and that the extra data from Lidar isn't needed, since autonomy can be achieved with the current hardware package. In the meantime, Tesla is apparently working on integrating higher resolution data, presumably because they need the higher res data to achieve FSD. What am I missing?

Reactions: ord3r
Elon explained why LIDAR is "stupid" for FSD during autonomy day. This would be a mischaracterization per Elon. Radar is occlusion penetrating vs lidar. So lidar isn't "basically just better radar."
True, RADAR does have that advantage for sure but I doubt it comes close to offsetting the lower resolution. Here's a video of LIDAR in the rain. I suspect that even in the rain it provides higher resolution than RADAR.

This is not directed at anyone in particular. I enjoy reading this thread and all the different opinions and viewpoints. It is reading the different viewpoints that help me form my own. Skepticism and having a high bar for evidence of a claim is essential to scientific reasoning, and it is not the same as being negative. I hope these aren't controversial statements. Someone with concerns should not detract from your enjoyment or excitement. I think we're all excited about whatever the future brings and looking forward to whatever progress is made. This is not in conflict with wanting more confidence in solutions. Being a fan of the technology should not limit you to only being excited about the progress of company A or company B. (Or company T or Company W) Whoever gets it right, we all win.

What's the difference between a LIDAR point cloud and a RADAR point cloud?
Both are generated by transmitting and receiving pulses of electromagnetic radiation.
If you can't tell the difference between the two images, then there is not much to discuss.

upload_2020-10-22_18-59-40.png

• Disagree
Reactions: ord3r
That's why I said "he", as in green, would not confuse lidar output with radar point cloud.
I still have no idea what you are talking about. A high-res radar produces a point cloud, i.e. a set of points in a 3-dimensional space. So does lidar. You seem to think that they are fundamentally different because there are different visualizations and resolutions.

Reactions: Cheburashka
I still have no idea what you are talking about. A high-res radar produces a point cloud, i.e. a set of points in a 3-dimensional space. So does lidar. You seem to think that they are fundamentally different because there are different visualizations and resolutions.

Yeah exactly. That's how I see it as well. High res radar is a slightly different approach to provide you more or less the same data as a lidar would. Resolution depends on the model, and visualization depends on many factors including software used to interpret and display the data.

Reactions: diplomat33
And L3 cars will still get in accidents. Hopefully not their fault, but there are things that just happen.
Not sure it's faster than the current version, but at least it's staying on the right side of the road.
that might end up making it even slower. Has to take the “long path”.

Kinda funny. I totally forgot my car has smart summon. Past the first week I tried it frequently.