Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Ripoff or Not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many folks actual buy FSD @ 15k? I've had 3 cars an MS with enhanced and currently MY with FSD and boy do I feel like a sucker paying 10k for it! This BS has been going on for many years and how do they feel that ists now worth 15K? I recently drove an ICE vehicle which had lane guidance and adaptive cruise and I feel it did just as good a job if not better than FSD. I know it doesn't recognize signals and other things but Jezz it was standard with the car!!! Had a friend pick up his car last week and he asked SA how many people are buying FSD and he answered about 1% :(
It’s ass and it’s not worth it. I love my car but FSD is as much, if not more, of a dumpster fire as Tesla’s customer service relations.

Now, you may call them jackasses, and they will indeed be found at fault under the law in a rear-end, but this sort of following distance is very common on that bridge. Thus the many cars in a row.

In addition, if what Autopilot did was first cut in front of somebody and then hit the brakes, that is a rare example where the car in front can be at fault in a rear-ending.
Yes, we tend to do this, but it's our collective fault then when it leads to these pileups. There are legit (and not) reasons for swerving and hard braking on the highways....I recall a killed motorcyclist on the San Mateo bridge earlier in the year where he had stopped. We can't rationalize tailgating as a justifiable practice...or worse, rely on vehicle systems to then brake for us when needed. This particular event *could* be an example of the cure being the disease.

My understanding was the collisions occurred in the tunnel at Yerba Buena, where the lanes all curve to the left. I have a city street near my house that also curves and I frequently get the alert/red car on display warnings when driving it as it sees the parked cars and doesn't like the development.

Was proud of my Tesla today, had it on FSD and while going 40 mph, it abruptly slowed down to about 15 mph. There was nothing in front of me so I thought it was a mistake, then I saw a boy between two city garbage cans next to the curb, all I could see was his head. Tesla had seen him before me. He didn't cross the road but Tesla was ready if he did. With all of the anti FSD from O'Dowd and the Dawn Project, it was nice to see one more reason why FSD is way ahead of everything else, and has a far better safety record on average, than human drivers.

FSD is way ahead of everything else, and has a far better safety record on average, than human drivers.
No it isn’t, and NO IT ISN’T!

FSD is a hands-on, eyes-on driver assistance feature. There are both hands off, and eyes off systems available to buy right now.

A humans has an accident about 2 times per lifetime on average and FSD goes only 10-15 miles per DE (or 80 miles per critical DE) - source fsd community tracker. Let’s say this would cause an accident 1/100 times of the critical DE:s. That would mean it’s only a small fraction of human level safety. FSD would have 780 accidents per human lifetime vs 2 for humans.

Last edited:
No it isn’t, and NO IT ISN’T!

FSD is a hands-on, eyes-on driver assistance feature. There are both hands off, and eyes off systems available to buy right now.

A humans has an accident about 2 times per lifetime on average and FSD goes only 10-15 miles per DE (or 80 miles per critical DE) - source fsd community tracker. Let’s say this would cause an accident 1/100 times of the critical DE:s. That would mean it’s only a small fraction of human level safety. FSD would have 780 accidents per human lifetime vs 2 for humans.
Not twice per lifetime. Double that. Source.

How many crashes does the average driver have?

But there is some data from the NHTSA that can be used as an estimate. The NHTSA reports that the average driver in the United States will be involved in three to four crashes in his or her lifetime. Insurance companies estimate that these crashes occur every 17 to 18 years.

FSD is an all but certain money maker at $15k given the endless opportunities for a 24/7 robotaxi money making business. It will change the human transportation world and the price for FSD will keep going up. Sit on sofa while making money hand over fist. At least that what I heard. :)
It's bad enough owning an actual taxi and worrying about the guy you hired to you it. Now, assume you own a Tesla robotaxi, I''d be sh*tting bricks worrying
if the car crashes or the occupant destroys it. Elon is not going to make YOU rich owning a "robotaxi". He's going to get richer selling you FSD

It's bad enough owning an actual taxi and worrying about the guy you hired to you it. Now, assume you own a Tesla robotaxi, I''d be sh*tting bricks worrying
if the car crashes or the occupant destroys it. Elon is not going to make YOU rich owning a "robotaxi". He's going to get richer selling you FSD
If you owned a robotaxi used it in commercial service, you would get insurance to cover damages and liabilities. Cost of doing business.

Yes sir, until the jig is up. Last I recall Tesla wasn't very forthright about FSD sales #s so maybe it's already come to pass?

I subscribed ( own EAP) , and honestly - could not tell the difference
Dont you have to be on some kind of elite list of beta testers to actually see the FSD at work? Other wise its just same as EAP?

what am i missing here?
Did you get the download and Install it? You might need to request the FSDb version of the software from your settings screen if I remember correctly

Nav data is : 2022.44

I am lost with all of this - why so many numbers :oops:
The numbers are the year.week.revision number.

So you have FSD Beta software, if you have 2023.20.7 and are still subscribing. Have you enabled FSD Beta?

You need to go into Autopilot, select the FSD Beta profile (under your profile, not easy entry) and turn it on.

1688738802651.png

The numbers are the year.week.revision number.

So you have FSD Beta software, if you have 2023.20.7 and are still subscribing. Have you enabled FSD Beta?

You need to go into Autopilot, select the FSD Beta profile (under your profile, not easy entry) and turn it on.

View attachment 953988
yeah - I don't have that, and don't remember ever seeing the "third " button ( full self driving ) when I was subscribed.

currently not subscribed

Will try this weened if someone confirms that it is actually possible / I am eligible. ( I do not have tesla insurance anymore)