Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How big is this update? I noticed my car was awake, but charging had finished hours ago. I then checked my router and can see my car has downloaded over 360 MB in the last hour, and it's still going. When I hit the software screen in my car, it says "up to date"
The Y uploaded over 130 Gigs last night from 12.3 driving.

Another plus for me with 12.3 is that a lot of arterials around my area have 55mph speed limits according to Tesla's nav data but that is too fast. The streets around here are fairly new and have no posted speed limits so the nav data gets it from a database I guess. Sometimes Apple maps, Google maps, and Tesla have three different speed limits. Today I tried 12.3 on one of those streets and it decided to go 44mph instead of 55. Happy with that! Seems like FSD is going what it calculates as a safe speed for the conditions.

The Y uploaded over 130 Gigs last night from 12.3 driving.
Are you checking Google Home / WiFi? I've noticed the default device-specific view can be inaccurate for the current day, but other views might show more realistic numbers. Our 12.3 HW3 vehicle uploaded about 15GB last night checking the number of hours it was uploading multiplied by the upload speed (rate limited because the vehicles have uploaded nearly 1TB in a month).

First drive on V12.3. Very impressed. It was an easy route, about 5 miles, around town on 30 mph roads with just a couple intersections, left protected turns from turn only lane, and right turns at stop signs. But the steering, braking and acceleration were incredibly smooth. No jerkiness or sudden braking or uncomfortable accelerations at all. There were cases where V11 would have been a little jerky stopping at the stop sign where V12.3 slowed down super smooth. It made for a very comfortable ride. I could have been a passenger and felt very relaxed.

IMO, the most impressive move was when it needed to move over to the left turn only lane. Instead of getting behind the line of cars and then moving over to the left turn lane, it moved over without any hesitation and passed the line of cars, squeezing between the line of cars on the right and the oncoming traffic on the left, and moved straight into the left turn only lane. Lane changes were also super smooth. Turns at stop signs were super smooth. Leaving my residential subdivision, it creeped forward twice, very comfortably and then assertively made the left turn. V12.3 handled my residential subdivision super smooth. There are cars parked on the side of the curb so you have to zig zag a bit. V12.3 was super smooth navigating around parked cars on the side of the curb, slowing down at the stop sign, gently turning perfectly.

The only issue was at one point, it almost got into the wrong turn only lane when it needed to go straight, but it self-corrected very smoothly. It was not jerky at all when it self-corrected. And leaving the parking lot, it should have cut into another parking lot to make a right turn on the main road and instead went straight and looked like it was going to go down a one way street the wrong way so I preemptively disengaged. That was the only disengagement.

In conclusion, obviously, it was just a 5 mile first drive. There is a lot of scenarios that I have not tested yet. But one thing that Tesla seems to have nailed is making the steering and braking very smooth for lane keeping and following a route.

So, 12.3 really throttles back the speed based upon weather condition with speed set to “auto”. Light snow and wet roads, drove 10mph under posted speed limit. Turning off “auto speed” really didn’t change much. Have to see how it works with better weather conditions.

Otherwise, logged about 85miles today on 12.3, much better than any 11.x release. Lots of issues fixed. Looks promising!

Also, on V11, the car would just stop in the middle of the road and say I have arrived at my destination. On V12.3, it did not park itself, but it did actually go in the parking lot of CVS and stopped in front of the door. So nice little improvement there.
Did the car nip into the store and pick up your drugs for you??? :)

I also forgot to mention that making a right on red, V12.3 was overly cautious. It waited awhile even though cross traffic was stopped, and eventually started to go. I did press the accelerator to give it a little nudge.

I also forgot to mention that making a right on red, V12.3 was overly cautious. It waited awhile even though cross traffic was stopped, and started to go. I did press the accelerator to give it a little nudge.
I can't say for sure, but I think I'm noticing that there's actually a difference between chill and average drive settings for the first time ever. Haven't tried aggressive yet.

Re stopping behavior, as noted above it does tend to stop a bit aggressively initially then ease up to a complete stop. It really doesn't bother me so much but definitely an area for improvement.

That said, I've found little else to take issue with! Two BIG improvement I've seen are in signaling properly and also looking to get in the correct lane for an upcoming turn at the appropriate time which is huge. If it sees traffic is backing up it starts looking for an opening then signals and make the move just as I would. This is MUCH less stressful and really improves the whole experience.

Edit: One more comment; while auto speed has room for improvement with tweaks I expect it to get lots of use. If going too slow I touch the accelerator a bit and it speeds up and stays where I'm comfortable for a time, I haven't measured how long yet. Other times it picks the right speed and will speed up based on traffic etc... With updates I believe this will be a very useful feature.
I agree with everything except the harsh stopping. In every scenario I've driven over the last 300 miles off interstate, lights where v11 would make me either disengage or brace myself, v12 has done nothing more than what would happen with taking my foot completely off the accelerator and use Regen. even when I look at the bar, I can't see it applying brakes, just Regen.

Granted, it does do it too early. But I've by no means had head slamming slow downs like I did on v11.

Turns at stop signs were super smooth.
Hard not to be, it does it so slowly. I’ve noticed jerking of the wheel when it is uncertain though.
V12.3 slowed down super smooth.
I believe this on streets where it is traveling below 30mph.

As before, slowing from 50mph-60mph on a nice sleepy suburban residential arterial is where the issues start to arise. (With less smoothness.)
Leaving my residential subdivision, it creeped forward twice, very comfortably and then assertively made the left turn.
You should try to do the turn with someone right behind you. Assuming a turn onto a quiet road, if honking does not occur, they have the patience of a saint.

It can take literally 10 seconds to decide to make a turn when no traffic is present (I checked the tape). And that doesn’t include the SLOW roll up to the line. Did you notice it stopping a few feet back from the stop line (if present)?

Am I the only one on a 25mph street who just smoothly releases the accelerator completely, so that I come to a stop right at the line, with maximum allowed regen? I don’t think so.

My only complaint is that it has trouble staying at my set Max limit. I didn't bother testing auto Max, but I'm guessing it's always on, even if it's toggled off and you are setting it manually?
Both modes are completely borked. So in a way, yes, Auto Max is always on. The old mode simply allows you to set a cap on speed (you’d need it to be set 10mph or so below the limit for it to fairly reliably cap the speed below Auto Max desires, so use fixed offset of -10mph, set it to 35mph in a 45mph, 15mph in a 25mph zone, etc. Obviously this is not useful). If on v11 you set your speed offset 10% high or whatever, it will now reliably drive around 10-20% below the limit (variable).

Pressing accelerator will override for 10s of seconds or so (length of time dependent on many factors). Then it will decay back to turtle mode. 🐢

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner