Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I weren't in New England with traffic behind me, I wouldn't mind about those things so much either. But the behavior at stop signs around here is beyond embarrassing, and it gets worse now as the flora thickens up.
Tesla needs to provide some type of external indicator on the outside of the car to let others know that the car is being driven autonomously.

Then drivers may be more forgiving of some of the odd behaviors that the car is doing like making a complete stop at stop signs, creeping, etc.

Im guessing that SF drivers probably anticipate some of these behaviors when they are driving behind a waymo car because they know its not a human driver.

Tesla needs to provide some type of external indicator on the outside of the car to let others know that the car is being driven autonomously.

Then drivers may be more forgiving of some of the odd behaviors that the car is doing like making a complete stop at stop signs, creeping, etc.
Or purposely try to make it mess up by doing dangerous things.

Im guessing that SF drivers probably anticipate some of these behaviors when they are driving behind a waymo car because they know its not a human driver.
Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 4.44.45 PM.png

If I weren't in New England with traffic behind me, I wouldn't mind about those things so much either. But the behavior at stop signs around here is beyond embarrassing, and it gets worse now as the flora thickens up.
I've read some people's experiences where FSDS is paralyzed at 4-way stops, taking 10+ seconds to execute a maneuver. That's a bummer, and I'm not sure what the deal is there. The stops near me, and most right turns on red with proper visibility, are just a few seconds long, typically 5 seconds. It comes to a stop, then creeps for a few seconds, and if it's clear, proceeds. I've had it stop at a red light and not make a turn, requiring me to intervene - but in those cases there is usually a visibility issue. Would be nice if there was more verbose information displayed to help us in those cases. For example, "Poor visibility, waiting for traffic signal", meaning it's just going to sit at the red light until it turns green before making the right turn, but I'm also not sure that's possible with NN black-box training. It would be easily possible with hard-coded systems.

Reactions: danharr and lzolman
Well just buy one off Amazon. I actually had one (probably still have it somewhere) from back in the VERY EARLY days of FSD Beta 10.2-10.6 or so when it did drive like a drunk robot.

View attachment 1052026

we need one that says "caution, robot driver, makes complete stops and creeps". Somebody figure a better way to word it. :).

Then cars behind me will stop honking at me.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Isn't MB required to have a light come on to indicate it's in L3 mode, for safety reasons? I wonder if Tesla ever considered an "FSD active" indicator light. Come to think of it, if they actually expected any of the currently delivered cars to ever reach L3, then wouldn't that mean they'd have designed such an indicator into all the cars? Just sayin'...

Isn't MB required to have a light come on to indicate it's in L3 mode, for safety reasons? I wonder if Tesla ever considered an "FSD active" indicator light. Come to think of it, if they actually expected any of the currently delivered cars to ever reach L3, then wouldn't that mean they'd have designed such an indicator into all the cars? Just sayin'...
They aren't required, no, but the ambient lights turn blue when L3 is active. Tesla uses the screen to indicate FSD is active.

Reactions: sleepydoc
They aren't required, no, but the ambient lights turn blue when L3 is active.
I think they got permission to have blue lights on externally as well. https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/19/busi...-light-color-blue-for-self-driving/index.html

Mercedes-Benz has just received approval to add a fourth color: turquoise blue lights that indicate when a Mercedes car is driving itself.

Only California and Nevada have approved the new light color. Those are the only states where Mercedes’ “conditionally autonomous” Drive Pilot technology is legal.

Well, it has been 3 months (Feb 28) since I drove from LA to SF. Today's drive from LA was interesting. I can't remember what version I was driving on on Feb 28.

1) on Interstate 5, which should be on version 11 code. I have noticed that every time I turn on FSDS the Max speed limit was automatically set to what I used often previously. i.e. If on the section at 70 mph posted speed limit. The max speed limit was set to 74 mph. my usual scroll setting. My Autopilot settings were Chill, and no offsets.

2) on Route 152, the divided section is posted at 65 mph. FSDS auto set to 68 mph. My usual setting too!!!

3) FSDS seems to auto set speed limit to 55 mph on previous road work sections which had already cleared!!

4) on the two lane section of 152, which is on FSDS Local ver 12.3.6. The speed seems aggressive and the follow distance is closer than before. The drive is OK though (taking curves in lane). I just hope the car in front is not annoyed by a somewhat tailgate.

5) As usual, verion 11 Freeway code still have problem to take exit interchanges just before an entrance. That's the interchange from I-5 N to 152 W. The other one is 280 -> 1 ->35 N, That's exit 47 to exit 508B. The 1 -> 35 exit 508B cut across an entrance ramp. My car was blocked by a line of entering cars and slowed and tried to cut across the Y island. I torqued the wheel and disengaged. The bad thing is that the car stopped on the island with the butt half way on the through lane. Lucky there wass no car following for the 508A exit of 35 S. I think I will take all interchanges manually for quite some time more.

You will piss off people if the blue light is on. It brings attention to Tesla autopilot haters. It also makes people think your car is a police car.
They say the color was specifically picked because it is not like anything else:

The light blue color was selected because it’s eye-catching and it won’t be confused with anything else. It’s not similar to the color of any other lights on a passenger car but it’s also clearly different from the darker blue used by police and other emergency vehicles.

But I agree that I think it will bring unwanted attention and bad behavior by other people, but the SAE thinks it is a good idea.