Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could be wrong but I believe @APotatoGod was joking.
Wearing sunglasses now with the monitoring will guarantee wheel nags, and you also have to deal with the camera. Sans sunglasses 🕶 , allegedly you just have to deal with the camera.
No, I think he was dead on. If the camera nag is too much for you, wear a hat or sunglasses so it can't see your eyes and you are reverted back to the wheel nag.

I will trade camera nag for wheel nag anytime. Camera nag is very nasty and very annoying at night. Wheel nag does not give a surprise strike like camera nag.
I only have the wheel nag in my 2017 Model X. I've had 3 surprise strikes when it thought I was using a cheat device (but wasn't). During the last long drive I was careful to change hands and hand position to provide a little variation in torque.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Some suggested that riding the centerline means the cameras need to be recalibrated, but the problem is intermittent and doesn't happen on restricted access roads.
If the display shows your car in the proper place in relation to the lane lines then I don't think a recalibration would help.

Restricted access highways still use the V11 stack which likes to stay dead center other then when next to big trucks. V12 doesn't stay dead centered, it offsets to one side or the other for who knows what reason. (Sometimes I think it is just copying the car in front of it.)

What’s calibrating anyway? The cameras don’t move
Page 20 of the manual (Model Y)
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/Owners_Manual.pdf

1717724349150.png

What’s calibrating anyway? The cameras don’t move
Sigh. Hit the little car icon, bottom left corner of the screen; you get the usual plethora of control buttons. Select the (vertical) tab button for Service. In there, there's a bit where you can "clear" the camera calibration.

You then go and drive the car manually, sans FSD/any kind of autopilot, until the car is happy. It will put up a little icon where the Steering Wheel icon (telling you FSD/whatever is available), with a little "I'm full" marker slowly going around 360 degrees. Usually takes about 20+ miles on an interstate with well-marked lanes, which is recommended. The car will then tell you the cameras are calibrated. The instructions say it takes up to 100 miles; I had to do it a couple of weeks ago when the SO's MY had the front fender camera replaced.

The "calibration", as I take it, gets all the pixels of all the cameras lined up with each other for an integrated whole, as far as the driving computer is concerned.

There have been occasional reports that, after doing a calibration, weird/flaky behavior in FSD has been reduced or eliminated. You'll occasionally hear a report that, after a software upgrade, that the camera calibration was lost.

I guess.. I've been noticing that both of the Teslas, at least before that left fender camera replacement, had, on city streets, been kind of hanging out right of center on the lane. Not a strong notice; the car, in FSD, has a tendency to move away from larger vehicles in one adjacent lane or another. After taking the SO's car out for its cal drive, on the way back, I sort of picked up that it was staying in the center of the lane more. Again, this wasn't that obvious, but it seemed that way.

So, after getting home, cleared the calibration on the M3 that's my daily driver and repeated the cal run. Interestingly, it took a few more miles (25 vs. 21) for the M3 to do its bit; and, yeah, seemed to be a bit better centered afterwards as well. Note that neither car had had a calibration run since said car was bought; the MY in 2021 and the M3 in late 2023. Despite all the numerous software updates.

Last edited:
Sigh. Hit the little car icon, bottom left corner of the screen; you get the usual pletha of control buttons. Select the (vertical) tab button for Service. In there, there's a bit where you can "clear" the camera calibration.

You then go and drive the car manually, sans FSD/any kind of autopilot, until the car is happy. It will put up a little icon where the Steering Wheel icon (telling you FSD/whatever is available), with a little "I'm full" marker slowly going around 360 degrees. Usually takes about 20+ miles on an interstate with well-marked lanes, which is recommended. The car will then tell you the cameras are calibrated. The instructions say it takes up to 100 miles; I had to do it a couple of weeks ago when the SO's MY had the front fender camera replaced.

The "calibration", as I take it, gets all the pixels of all the cameras lined up with each other for an integrated whole, as far as the driving computer is concerned.

There have been occasional reports that, after doing a calibration, weird/flaky behavior in FSD has been reduced or eliminated. You'll occasionally hear a report that, after a software upgrade, that the camera calibration was lost.

I guess.. I've been noticing that both of the Teslas, at least before that left fender camera replacement, had, on city streets, been kind of hanging out right of center on the lane. Not a strong notice; the car, in FSD, has a tendency to move away from larger vehicles in one adjacent lane or another. After taking the SO's car out for its cal drive, on the way back, I sort of picked up that it was staying in the center of the lane more. Again, this wasn't that obvious, but it seemed that way.

So, after getting home, cleared the calibration on the M3 that's my daily driver and repeated the cal run. Interestingly, it took a few more miles (25 vs. 21) for the M3 to do its bit; and, yeah, seemed to be a bit better centered afterwards as well. Note that neither car had had a calibration run since said car was bought; the MY in 2021 and the M3 in late 2023. Despite all the numerous software updates
Maybe do it once a year? My left turn signal camera has a pinkish tint

Tesla Service believes otherwise. They recommend it for FSD that is riding in the center lane or too close to curbs.

My car on v12 was constantly hitting the reflectors, with every drive. I recalibrated and it's fixed. Hasn't occurred again.
Agreed, "The best part is no part, the best process is no process"
Elon is very clear on how he wants Tesla to operate. They got rid of stalks to save $ and time. There are no superfluous parts or processes unless it's done for humor.

…..

This isnt about building a car that can simulate a human, it’s about building a car that bypasses the inherent limitations of a human.

I agree with you so much!!! I’ve been saying almost the same things for a while now. IMHO, future of safe road travel will certainly include vehicle to vehicle communication of safety, road conditions and environmental data which will provide a 6th sense like capability for our vehicles. I’m sure eventually there will be some brand agnostic protocols developed which will allow any vehicle to participate in the network as long as they are built compliant to the protocol.

Maybe do it once a year? My left turn signal camera has a pinkish tint
oh no, you've got the dreaded red camera syndrome - definitely recalibrate (this is a jest - Red camera tint is usually HW4 cameras)
However, if your car isn't centering and doing crazier than normal crazy crap then recalibrating the cameras is a good first step