Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must have a unicorn car. It is (arguably) literally criminal what it will allow me to do. Not great (though a huge improvement over no cabin camera, and it does help with enforcing attention, which is what we all want).

Years, zero strikes.
Based on your post history you have the opposite of a Unicorn car, more like a Joker 🃏 mobile, or that could be just your personality.... I would probably guess the latter
Oh, and you have to have fsd on to get strikes fyi

A couple of years ago service told me that they would not replace the leaky fender camera for free because FSD was beta. Maybe they changed their stance since the beta nomenclature was removed.

It would help if someone can cite the service bulletin number.
Well crap, I still have my 2018 Model 3 and the orange glow makes the pop up unusable at night.
Have to figure out how to get them replaced
[edit]
The only bulletin I could find was for 2020 S,X and 3 with the cameras losing connectivity and failing
From the Reddit thread, that's the bulletin that it is replaced under. It has nothing to do with the glow and only applies to certain 2020 models.

From that same thread, this website has a list of TSBs which you can filter by model and model year.

The 24.14.x move forward has started. Likely will take a few bug fixes to hit the big numbers. Hopefully the fixes come quick and easy and we see something like 24.20.3 by next week with some solid >1000 numbers each day. Then it would be a plus to see 12.4.1 or 12.4.2 released to influencers and of course Gottagofast and maybe even a few lucky random TCM people. Finally we can see an optimistic path to 12.4.x after a few weeks of uncertainty.🎉 May all 24.3.25 users be on 24.15.x before July 4 🎇.

View attachment 1054331

View attachment 1054337
Don't forget @gottagofast will be 1st in line for 12.4

Reactions: gottagofast
Based on your post history you have the opposite of a Unicorn car, more like a Satan mobile, or that could be just your personality.... I would probably guess the latter
Oh, and you have to have fsd on to get strikes fyi
I fortunately have a commute that runs for miles with no turns or lane changes required on Mira Mesa. Plenty of disengagements for lights in the right conditions, but with a moderately skilled driver in a lead vehicle, it can remain engaged for significant periods.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I fortunately have a commute that runs for miles with no turns or lane changes required on Mira Mesa. Plenty of disengagements for lights in the right conditions, but with a moderately skilled driver in a lead vehicle, it can remain engaged for significant periods.
I am hoping you follow @Daniel in SD for most of your driving, he seems to be a highly skilled fsd user.
Oh, and nice to see you back, I thought you left us for a day, the thread doesn't operate efficiently without your commentary

Interesting thought just came to mind. I wonder if speed plays a role in determining attentiveness.
As I reread my post it occurs to me that briefly (not lingering) looking at the screen and out of the side windows is what an attentive driver would do and would not cause a warning.

I would also think a strike could be worth it depending on the primal urges such an extended gaze brings. 🤪

A couple of years ago service told me that they would not replace the leaky fender camera for free because FSD was beta. Maybe they changed their stance since the beta nomenclature was removed.

agreed - there is no shortage of inconsistent practices by Tesla service (and Tesla itself) so it's hard to tell if something's an official Tesla policy vs just a service tech being nice.

As I reread my post it occurs to me that briefly (not lingering) looking at the screen and out of the side windows is what an attentive driver would do and would not cause a warning.

I would also think a strike could be worth it depending on the primal urges such an extendec gaze brings. 🤪
For example driving past a car wash with Playboy Centerfolds washing cars?

Reactions: zoomer0056

I would also think a strike could be worth it depending on the primal urges such an extended gaze brings. 🤪
I routinely have it start beeping at me when I'm looking to the right or left, watching for traffic before a turn. And given the amount of time Alan seems to be looking at the regen bar you'd think he'd be getting beeped at left and right! The algorithm ain't too smart.

Don't forget @gottagofast will be 1st in line for 12.4
Gotta get you some reading glasses. 🤣

"...Then it would be a plus to see 12.4.1 or 12.4.2 released to influencers and of course Gottagofast and maybe even a few lucky random TCM people...."

Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 12.16.34 PM.png

• Love
I routinely have it start beeping at me when I'm looking to the right or left, watching for traffic before a turn. And given the amount of time Alan seems to be looking at the regen bar you'd think he'd be getting beeped at left and right! The algorithm ain't too smart.
Videos needed!

I’ll note that no one has posted videos of excessive nagging including a view of the driver’s head. At least with more recent software (there were bugs over a year ago).

Reactions: Dewg

Once again, it's been measured repeatedly by multiple people. You can look away from the road ahead for approximately 7 seconds before being told to pay attention. And looking ahead for a second is not enough to "reset the clock". So if you're looking away from the road ahead for 5 or 6 seconds, and then look back to the road ahead for 1 second, then look away again, you'll get dinged. You need to look straight ahead for several seconds to reset the clock.

Also - looking around while the vehicle is completely stopped does not count against paying attention. I don't understand why people keep saying their cars will wheel nag while at a red light. No, it won't. When you're at a stop, you can gaze longingly at the scenery out the left or right window, pull out your cell phone and text away, etc. When the car starts to move, snap your attention back to the front and all is well.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Once again, it's been measured repeatedly by multiple people. You can look away from the road ahead for approximately 7 seconds before being told to pay attention. And looking ahead for a second is not enough to "reset the clock". So if you're looking away from the road ahead for 5 or 6 seconds, and then look back to the road ahead for 1 second, then look away again, you'll get dinged. You need to look straight ahead for several seconds to reset the clock.

Also - looking around while the vehicle is completely stopped does not count against paying attention. I don't understand why people keep saying their cars will wheel nag while at a red light. No, it won't. When you're at a stop, you can gaze longingly at the scenery out the left or right window, pull out your cell phone and text away, etc. When the car starts to move, snap your attention back to the front and all is well.
In adverse conditions (rain or oddities like construction) and looking at your phone, it's less than 7 seconds. People have tested this as well.

Many have reported it beeping at a light when they are the lead car. I've never seen anyone say it did when they weren't. Which makes sense. I haven't experienced this, but there's a ton who claim to have. Enough where I believe it.

Um. The Model Y whose camera was replaced week before last had been in a shop for some minor repairs associated with the bumper. As such, it had been parked outdoors; usually, it's garaged. When we got it back the camera view on that side was BLACK and no image, there was a message that FSD and auto braking was disabled, "Until the next drive, maybe". A little thinking about, "They were working on the bumper.. not the front fender?" and a quick search on these here forums revealed that People Had Been Having Trouble With Water Inside the Fender turn signal/camera assembly.

At which point I went out to the garage and, with my eagle eye, noted a chain of water droplets on the inside of the clear plastic ridge along the top of the left camera assembly. Definitely on the inside. I checked the fender camera on the other side: No droplets. Checked the two fender cameras on the other Tesla: No droplets. Hauled out the cell phone and took close up pictures of that and the screen inside the car.

And, looky at that: The screen, instead of being black, looked like somebody had taken the image and hit it with an inadequate coat of whitewash. It having been roughly three or so days until I got around to this, and I guess it was drying out.

Went to the service app, wrote it all up, added the pictures, and sent it off. Within an hour or so Tesla had scheduled a mobile tech for the service a few days later. Over the next couple of days the image would go black (mostly), sometimes that whitewashed view. Whenever the image was black it was No Emergency Braking or FSD for you, but it never stayed whitewashed for very long.

I did check the warranty on this 2021 MY: Still covered, bumper to bumper, and I figured that Something Like This was pretty much a manufacturing defect.

When the techie showed.. heh. The SO and I had been out for a walk that morning around 10 a.m. when the man called and said he'd be there in five minutes, rather than at noon to 5 p.m., because some of his appointments had cancelled. I told him to go there and wait and jogged a mile and some home. Not like Ye Olden Days when I used to be able to do a 7-minute mile.

He got right to work. While we chatted (and I drank a quart of water) he mentioned that he'd been doing "lots" of these, so I'm a-guessing it's a common defect. Although, based on the one-bad-out-of-four here at my place, not exactly uniform. And he mentioned that bit about a service bulletin on the old lights that had the LED bleed-through-the-via-holes problem. Which was not water damage.

No charge for the repair on that MY, though. I presume because it was under warranty.

• Informative
In adverse conditions (construction) and looking at your phone, it's less than 7 seconds. People have tested this as well.

Many have reported it beeping at a light when they are the lead car. I've never seen anyone say it did when they weren't. Which makes sense. I haven't experienced this, but there's a ton who claim to have. Enough where I believe it.
You haven't experienced it because it doesn't happen in a proper, well running Tesla. Like Alan said, there was a build over a year ago that had bugs, but it was fixed pretty quick. We need video proof of a current version of FSDS that nags people sitting at a stop. And if, by chance, someone can produce such a video, I'd send them straight to support as something is wrong with their car.

From the Reddit thread, that's the bulletin that it is replaced under. It has nothing to do with the glow and only applies to certain 2020 models.

From that same thread, this website has a list of TSBs which you can filter by model and model year.
I wonder if I could get this done.. because yeah the complete opacity - at least to the human eye - of the camera view at night when a blinker is flashing must impair FSD ability and B) I’m pretty sure that the right one is incorrectly mounted and is what throws off my cars perception of IN LANE POSITIONING.. so it always drives about 8-10” farther to the right than it should

You haven't experienced it because it doesn't happen in a proper, well running Tesla. Like Alan said, there was a build over a year ago that had bugs, but it was fixed pretty quick. We need video proof of a current version of FSDS that nags people sitting at a stop. And if, by chance, someone can produce such a video, I'd send them straight to support as something is wrong with their car.
I'll test it next time, but I don't have a second camera to record myself.

Once again, it's been measured repeatedly by multiple people. You can look away from the road ahead for approximately 7 seconds before being told to pay attention.
For me I can look anywhere but the screen for as long as I want. I have tested having my head turned 90 degrees to the left, and even after more than a minute there were no nags. Look at the screen for 7-10 seconds, and bam nag. (I had a hand on the wheel at all times.)

I wonder if I could get this done.. because yeah the complete opacity - at least to the human eye - of the camera view at night when a blinker is flashing must impair FSD ability and B) I’m pretty sure that the right one is incorrectly mounted and is what throws off my cars perception of IN LANE POSITIONING.. so it always drives about 8-10” farther to the right than it should
I thought they fixed the majority of the light bleed through software filtering/processing already... (Which is why most people stopped complaining about it.)