Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Service believes otherwise. They recommend it for FSD that is riding in the center lane or too close to curbs.

My car on v12 was constantly hitting the reflectors, with every drive. I recalibrated and it's fixed. Hasn't occurred again.
I live in an area with mostly back roads and only a handful of two lane roads. Finding a 3 lane road is a challenge, and I’m hours away from anything with 5 lanes. I was lucky my service center was two hours away so I had a successful calibration day one. Kinda nervous to try it now.

I could be wrong but I believe @APotatoGod was joking.
Wearing sunglasses now with the monitoring will guarantee wheel nags, and you also have to deal with the camera. Sans sunglasses 🕶 , allegedly you just have to deal with the camera.
I always wear a baseball cap and polarized shades 😎. Never once did I receive any safety warnings while driving my 2022 MSLR with the free FSDS.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Tesla Service believes otherwise. They recommend it for FSD that is riding in the center lane or too close to curbs.

My car on v12 was constantly hitting the reflectors, with every drive. I recalibrated and it's fixed. Hasn't occurred again.
I seem to remember several pages ago (I think it was before @FSDtester#1 ’s colonoscopy) someone posted some diagnostic info from the car giving a gauge of calibration

Maybe do it once a year? My left turn signal camera has a pinkish tint
Um. Until late last year, I had a 2018 M3. As software updates cameth down from on high, at one point, they added the feature that, when one hit the left or right turn signal the left or right fender camera view would appear on the screen. Not to mention that if one put the car into reverse, one could get both fender views to appear.

When that first went in, in the dark only, when the turn signal was on, there'd be these Big Blinking Orangish Glows all over the camera view, in sync with the turn signals blinking. It wouldn't be seen in the daytime.

Turns out that there was a defect in the camera circuit board. On one side of said board was a camera pointed towards the rear. On the other side of the board were the LEDs and a light pipe that took the turn signal light and made it come out of the casing. So far, so good.

Circuit boards have copper traces in them, usually on both sides or, on a multilayer board, on the (sometimes many) interior layers. To connect a trace on one side or layer to another side or layer, the board manufacturer drills a hole clear through the board (automated drilling machine, usually), hitting both or several (depending upon layers and all) of the traces that need to be connected. A typical board might have hundreds of these holes.

But that doesn't actually make contact between traces. At this point, photoresist is dumped across both sides of the board, a mask is applied to both sides and light applied, then the resist that hasn't been exposed is washed off. If one looks at the board, the little holes are exposed, but everything else is covered.

One then dunks the board in a special tank which plates conductive metal everywhere where the circuit board is bare. All those holes get plated right on through, makes contact to the copper traces on whatever layer they might be on. One then puts the board in some other solution and gets rid of the photoresist. When one is done, one has a bunch of plated though holes; some testing is done, and the board is sent off to the people with the pick-and-place machines that populate components on the boards and everything gets soldered down.

Now, the tricky bit: One can ask the manufacturer to fill in the plated through holes (not common) or to let there be holes in there (very common). Tesla, or whoever was making those fender camera assemblies, went for the default.

So, when it's dark out and the side marker lights were blinking, light from the LEDs on one side of the board shone right through the via holes to the other side. And you'd get light pollution around the camera.

Nobody noticed this back when the 2018/2019 cars were built; the ability to see out the fender cameras came, I think, in 2020 or so. At which point people complained. Some hero in the UK actually took apart one of these sealed turn signal/running light/camera assemblies (I think he had access to a junkyard and time on his hands), and gave very explicit directions on where to drill a couple of holes on the back of the assembly, and a grade of black paint . One would take a small paintbrush, reach into the hole one drilled, and paint all over, then seal off the hole with some good quality sealing junk.

Some people were being charged $134 (that number sticks, for some reason) for each of the cameras on the earlier models of cars, not including labor, to replace those fender cameras with later versions where the problem was fixed. (The latest and greatest has filled via holes; the intermediate ones had paint over the holes.) When the guy got to my place (I decided to let Tesla Do It), they waived the cost.

New cars shouldn't have this issue. And, as I mentioned, a service techie came by to replace a water-damaged fender camera on the SO's MY. While he was working and we were chatting, I mentioned watching that guy from years back do the job, and the mobile tech stated, "Oh, yeah! There's a service bulletin on those old fender cameras. We now replace them for free."

Finally, I've heard reports that with some snazzy software, Tesla managed to kill the orange bleed-through light. I'm impressed if that's the case.

I must have a unicorn car. It is (arguably) literally criminal what it will allow me to do. Not great (though a huge improvement over no cabin camera, and it does help with enforcing attention, which is what we all want).

Years, zero strikes.
It’s probably your look of constant irritation. It’s trained to recognize when people get too relaxed.

I seem to remember several pages ago (I think it was before @FSDtester#1 ’s colonoscopy) someone posted some diagnostic info from the car giving a gauge of calibration
@FSDtester#1

Sorry #1, the Doc just realized his camera wasn't calibrated during your examination. The results are useless and as we know could be very dangerous! You need a do-over (or in this case a do-under...).

If you don't want to drive back to Minnesota, you guys can do this remotely with Tesla technology:

You just need to give him full access in your Tesla app, hen park the car in a nice sunny parking lot at high noon (because he needs to look where the sun don't shine). Remove your cape and pull down your tights, then sit against the windshield forward camera.

The Doc can remotely monitor the Batman's guano-pipe in the Live Camera screen. He'll need you to wiggle around to get the scope view just right, so you guys can work out a Bat-code to adjust your position using Honks, Farts, Flashes and Vents (I mean from the car, not you). He needs a medically acceptable scope view with the summer sun reflecting just right. If anyone asks what you're doing, just tell them Elon Musk Tech is saving your life!

One more thing - please don't let this dashcam clip make it back to the FSD training servers - I mean who knows how long it would take the AI to recover from your edge-case ASS training. You can post an After-Action Report. (but no video please).

Um. Until late last year, I had a 2018 M3. As software updates cameth down from on high, at one point, they added the feature that, when one hit the left or right turn signal the left or right fender camera view would appear on the screen. Not to mention that if one put the car into reverse, one could get both fender views to appear.

When that first went in, in the dark only, when the turn signal was on, there'd be these Big Blinking Orangish Glows all over the camera view, in sync with the turn signals blinking. It wouldn't be seen in the daytime.

Turns out that there was a defect in the camera circuit board. On one side of said board was a camera pointed towards the rear. On the other side of the board were the LEDs and a light pipe that took the turn signal light and made it come out of the casing. So far, so good.

Circuit boards have copper traces in them, usually on both sides or, on a multilayer board, on the (sometimes many) interior layers. To connect a trace on one side or layer to another side or layer, the board manufacturer drills a hole clear through the board (automated drilling machine, usually), hitting both or several (depending upon layers and all) of the traces that need to be connected. A typical board might have hundreds of these holes.

But that doesn't actually make contact between traces. At this point, photoresist is dumped across both sides of the board, a mask is applied to both sides and light applied, then the resist that hasn't been exposed is washed off. If one looks at the board, the little holes are exposed, but everything else is covered.

One then dunks the board in a special tank which plates conductive metal everywhere where the circuit board is bare. All those holes get plated right on through, makes contact to the copper traces on whatever layer they might be on. One then puts the board in some other solution and gets rid of the photoresist. When one is done, one has a bunch of plated though holes; some testing is done, and the board is sent off to the people with the pick-and-place machines that populate components on the boards and everything gets soldered down.

Now, the tricky bit: One can ask the manufacturer to fill in the plated through holes (not common) or to let there be holes in there (very common). Tesla, or whoever was making those fender camera assemblies, went for the default.

So, when it's dark out and the side marker lights were blinking, light from the LEDs on one side of the board shone right through the via holes to the other side. And you'd get light pollution around the camera.

Nobody noticed this back when the 2018/2019 cars were built; the ability to see out the fender cameras came, I think, in 2020 or so. At which point people complained. Some hero in the UK actually took apart one of these sealed turn signal/running light/camera assemblies (I think he had access to a junkyard and time on his hands), and gave very explicit directions on where to drill a couple of holes on the back of the assembly, and a grade of black paint . One would take a small paintbrush, reach into the hole one drilled, and paint all over, then seal off the hole with some good quality sealing junk.

Some people were being charged $134 (that number sticks, for some reason) for each of the cameras on the earlier models of cars, not including labor, to replace those fender cameras with later versions where the problem was fixed. (The latest and greatest has filled via holes; the intermediate ones had paint over the holes.) When the guy got to my place (I decided to let Tesla Do It), they waived the cost.

New cars shouldn't have this issue. And, as I mentioned, a service techie came by to replace a water-damaged fender camera on the SO's MY. While he was working and we were chatting, I mentioned watching that guy from years back do the job, and the mobile tech stated, "Oh, yeah! There's a service bulletin on those old fender cameras. We now replace them for free."
Oh that's interesting there's a service bulletin out now and they'll do them for free! I'd been aware of the option to get them replaced (for the $134ish each you mention) for a while now, but never deemed it worth the cost, but definitely worth having them do it if it's free now!

Does anyone know of a resource for tracking these sorts of service bulletins, in case there's any other improvements or fixes my vehicle is eligible for but I'm unaware of?

• Informative
The 24.14.x move forward has started. Likely will take a few bug fixes to hit the big numbers. Hopefully the fixes come quick and easy and we see something like 24.20.3 by next week with some solid >1000 numbers each day. Then it would be a plus to see 12.4.1 or 12.4.2 released to influencers and of course Gottagofast and maybe even a few lucky random TCM people. Finally we can see an optimistic path to 12.4.x after a few weeks of uncertainty.🎉 May all 24.3.25 users be on 24.15.x before July 4 🎇.

Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 6.34.59 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 6.26.47 AM.png

Last edited:
Updates happening

Non FSD vehicles going from 2024.14.8/9 to 2024.20. 1 today 6/7/2024

My FSD vehicle is still waiting with 2024.3.25
My best guess is this weekend or next week UG to 2024.15.5/FSD 12.4.1

Edge Case
Once it lands, I will test and report back on my major, infrequent but repeatable edge case,
lead vehicle leftl lane, crossing a major, misaligned and unlined/unguided lighted intersection where FSD does not use mapped data and goes into the oncoming left turning lane traffic/I disengage

Like Chuck’s repeatable edge case, unprotected left, hope 12.4 nails both of our edge cases with correct behavior and no disengagement

Let’s go FSD 12.4.X 👍

@FSDtester#1

Sorry #1, the Doc just realized his camera wasn't calibrated during your examination. The results are useless and as we know could be very dangerous! You need a do-over (or in this case a do-under...).

If you don't want to drive back to Minnesota, you guys can do this remotely with Tesla technology:

You just need to give him full access in your Tesla app, hen park the car in a nice sunny parking lot at high noon (because he needs to look where the sun don't shine). Remove your cape and pull down your tights, then sit against the windshield forward camera.

The Doc can remotely monitor the Batman's guano-pipe in the Live Camera screen. He'll need you to wiggle around to get the scope view just right, so you guys can work out a Bat-code to adjust your position using Honks, Farts, Flashes and Vents (I mean from the car, not you). He needs a medically acceptable scope view with the summer sun reflecting just right. If anyone asks what you're doing, just tell them Elon Musk Tech is saving your life!

One more thing - please don't let this dashcam clip make it back to the FSD training servers - I mean who knows how long it would take the AI to recover from your edge-case ASS training. You can post an After-Action Report. (but no video please).
Everybody else can stop posting now.

Yes it is horrible. It is giving strikes for just glancing for a few seconds to the right or left, when it is cruising on a straight road at a sedate 30 mph speed with no traffic around. Very annoying. I got 5 strikes in just three days and was put in week of both FSD/AP jail.
Yesterday I tested the looking-at-the-screen nag, and found that I could count slowly to ten before the nag appeared.

Oh that's interesting there's a service bulletin out now and they'll do them for free! I'd been aware of the option to get them replaced (for the $134ish each you mention) for a while now, but never deemed it worth the cost, but definitely worth having them do it if it's free now!

Does anyone know of a resource for tracking these sorts of service bulletins, in case there's any other improvements or fixes my vehicle is eligible for but I'm unaware of?
Well crap, I still have my 2018 Model 3 and the orange glow makes the pop up unusable at night.
Have to figure out how to get them replaced
[edit]
The only bulletin I could find was for 2020 S,X and 3 with the cameras losing connectivity and failing

Last edited:
Yes it is horrible. It is giving strikes for just glancing for a few seconds to the right or left, when it is cruising on a straight road at a sedate 30 mph speed with no traffic around. Very annoying. I got 5 strikes in just three days and was put in week of both FSD/AP jail.
Five strikes in just a few days suggests the student is not taking in the lesson or the teacher is not communicating intent of lessen well enough. Suspension drives, pun intended, the lesson home.

For your post, how many seconds is a few seconds? A few seconds is defined as 2 or more seconds. At only 30mph, one can perceive a lot in 2 seconds while covering a shorter distance than at a faster speed.

Interesting thought just came to mind. I wonder if speed plays a role in determining attentiveness.

Last edited:
Well crap, I still have my 2018 Model 3 and the orange glow makes the pop up unusable at night.
Have to figure out how to get them replaced
[edit]
The only bulletin I could find was for 2020 S,X and 3 with the cameras losing connectivity and failing
Well, it was idle chatter with the mobile tech, but he did say that. And Back In The Day when I put in the service request, I made some pithy remarks that the blinking orange glow couldn’t be doing FSD, which at that time in all of its (very limited) capabilities I had paid for, any good. And the car was still under warranty at that point, too.

I had agreed to the estimate in any case, but was surprised to find out it was no charge at the time. Others on the forums were getting charged or, occasionally, for free, so dunno.

I think there’s a federal database of service bulletins somewhere, but the last time I looked for it was over a decade ago.