Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were your incidents also near the time it would have been switching between the two highway code versions?

I'm not sure, but I think it was at this same location a couple weeks ago that FSD just died. I don't recall the exact message and alarms, but I think it beeb-beeb-beeped and said Take Over Immediately. FSD just let go of the steering and speed.

Speculation here, but perhaps the handoff between V12 and V11 has some serious problems, like crashing the software or trying to crash the car.

After that time FSD quit, it took a minute or so before it became available again. Maybe it was rebooting itself, who knows.
I can't remember the first episode well enough but in the most recent case it had been on the freeway for some time and should have switched over long before it happened. Now, if there are issues with it switching causing delays, etc, that may play into it. No way of knowing though.

After bumpy start and then a fairly, but not completely smooth better part of three weeks of use, 12.3.6 for some reason has decided that using turn signals is too much bother. Signals worked great (if a little early sometimes) up until about 3 days ago and now it almost always turns the signal off before executing the turn - often before it even comes to a stop. Sometimes, it doesn't bother to turn the signal on at all, and when I turn it on manually it actually turns it back off! Cheeky bugger. Not sure what has brought on this behaviour - no updates since 14.6 when I got the FSD, and I've rebooted to no avail. Trial runs out after this weekend so I guess it's moot now.

I did have a weird disengagement on the highway today where about a km before a left lane exit to another highway, where the left lane splits into two so both leftmost lanes can exit left, putting me in the right lane after the exit), v11 without warning suddenly veered toward the leftmost lane hard enough to dive the front right of the car a bit with no signal or beeping or anything. Road surface was clear without so much as a shadow. I had my hand on the wheel as always and quickly corrected it, but it was pretty startling. I'm also very interested to see how 12.5 handles highways. It's got to be better.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
FSD attempted a very bad lane change - into an occupied lane. The other car swerved, and I intervened, so no crash. Barely.

Entering the MacArthur Maze in Oakland, coming onto I80 E from Jackson St. Routing is to the next exit onto hwy 24, which is very close, so we should stay in the lane we entered on. But FSD blinked and immediately started a lane change to the left. But there was a car right there. He swerved, I yanked back into our lane, no damage done.

Here we are, in the proper lane, but FSD is already crossing into the lane to our left. Yes, the left repeater cam show the car we are about to crash into.

View attachment 1054445

Here is that left side repeater cam view, and you can see that we are already over the lane line, and that the other car has already started to swerve to avoid us. This is about the time I disengaged by steering back into our land.

View attachment 1054446

This is the worst, and clearly unsafe move I have seen from FSD. Yet.

Both the other driver and I acted to prevent a collision. But it underscores that FSD is fully capable of bad and dangerous mistakes.

My guess is that the car was switching from V12 to V11 Highway Code. But it was a very bad screwup. I think someone else reported a similar very improper lane change a few days ago. And, yes, I made a verbal report and snagged trigged the dash cam so I could share these photos.

By the way, this is why I use the Minimal Lane Changes setting, unless I forget to set it at the start of every drive. In the default mode, FSD makes lane changes unexpectedly, so it is not possible to anticipate and check for clearance in advance. This setting should persist between drives.
I hope we can set the minimal lane change permanently. This happens a lot in my car. It’s is a surprising error since I expect the Nav to know if I’m turning the other way soon.

Taking 680 north to 242 the car moves too far to the left where the freeway splits. I disengage every time.

I am becoming irrationally excited for 12.4 and I’ll need you all here to catch me if I have to fall back to reality.

I’ve been participating in this nonsense since 10.1 and I think 12.4 will be the most significant release, since it will be a data point in the rate of improvement with the v12 concept.

If FSD keeps getting dramatically better it will have some resale value and I can move on.

I hope we can set the minimal lane change permanently. This happens a lot in my car. It’s is a surprising error since I expect the Nav to know if I’m turning the other way soon.

Taking 680 north to 242 the car moves too far to the left where the freeway splits. I disengage every time.
Minimal lane change does nothing for me, it still changes lanes all the time

I think 12.4 will be the most significant release, since it will be a data point in the rate of improvement with the v12 concept.
Yes, 12.4.x is a very significant release (probably the biggest release ever) for that reason. It will be very interesting to see how much better they can make it.

There are claims it will be able to stop smoothly which is 🤯. This has been promised in one form or another before though, so caution is advised.

Even improving according to my guesses (bookmark!) would be a welcome improvement, but succeeding only to that level would not bode well for the v12 future releases. It would just be too incremental to suggest this will ever work. Even for (arguably) v13 and v14.

Exciting in any case.

Last edited:
That’s not self driving though my car changes lanes for no reason
Usually pushing the accelerator with a lead car will initiate a lane change, so need to be careful about that.

The car is actually pretty decent at weaving through slow traffic with constant accelerator input. Just need to make sure to get the timing right so the gaps are big enough. It has to be maneuvers that would be trivial to perform manually.

Usually pushing the accelerator with a lead car will initiate a lane change, so need to be careful about that.

The car is actually pretty decent at weaving through slow traffic with constant accelerator input. Just need to make sure to get the timing right so the gaps are big enough. It has to be maneuvers that would be trivial to perform manually.
My car always wants to be in left lane traffic or no traffic

People that go 10 mph over the speed limit don’t like me in the left lane only going 5 mph over the speed limit

Reactions: Mark II
Pothole avoidance should be released in 2 weeks. 🤪
Pothole avoidance would drop my relatively FREQUENT disengagements by HALF. I’m just not going to let the car drive through a 3-5” pothole without disengaging for the sake of training data. I had one a few weeks back where there is about a 6”+ pothole which is VERY clear, but that day it had rained and essentially FILLED IN the pothole. The car made no recognition of it at all, and only because I knew it was there I knew to disengage in time not to have the car drop into the hole, which is not only 6” deep, but about 14” wide, and most likely ruin a wheel.