Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I routinely have it start beeping at me when I'm looking to the right or left, watching for traffic before a turn. And given the amount of time Alan seems to be looking at the regen bar you'd think he'd be getting beeped at left and right! The algorithm ain't too smart.
The regen bar. What is that? Much more relaxing to avoid looking at it.

Watching the road and other cars is way better.

The regen bar. What is that? Much more relaxing to avoid looking at it.

Watching the road and other cars is way better.
Not sure why you guys think that I spend my time looking at that. And also it is possible to do both. At least for me. It does seem that people in this thread have some peripheral vision limitations.

For some reason people cannot see what the screen is saying without looking at it. That is weird because I do not have to look at the screen to see the nags even before the blue flashing begins. All very mysterious.

Can happily drive along and see the regen bar while looking out the window at traffic, without looking at the regen bar.

Last edited:
When FSD is driving and we get antsy and push the accelerator, does Tesla have a record that feeds back into the learning?
I suspect that >90% of all we do goes into a black hole. I bet they only use high accelerometer events on us as individual events. Likely the data is aggregated and dumped into a general purpose algorithm looking for consistent/repeatable patters across the fleet. They likely use influencer data more and they even (still) have the Snapshot button to highlight events. Also the employees likely still have the Snapshot button too.

Last edited:
Not sure why you guys think that I spend my time looking at that. And also it is possible to do both. At least for me. It does seem that people in this thread have some peripheral vision limitations.

For some reason people cannot see what the screen is saying without looking at it. That is weird because I do not have to look at the screen to see the nags even before the blue flashing begins. All very mysterious.

Can happily drive along and see the regen bar while looking out the window at traffic, without looking at the regen bar.
The point is I don't really care about regen, I just enjoy the ride.

The point is I don't really care about regen, I just enjoy the ride.
Yep, me too. Nice and silky smooth.

I hope they fix FCW with 12.4.x. I have had to change the warning to “Late” to ensure it stops beeping at me for cars parked on the side of the road for which I am clearly not on a collision course. Not ideal. I prefer “Early!”

Last edited:
Yep, me too. Nice and silky smooth.

I hope they fix FCW with 12.4.x. I have had to change the warning to “Late” to ensure it stops beeping at me for cars parked on the side of the road for which I am clearly not on a collision course. Not ideal. I prefer “Early!”
I thought that was just me. We agree 100% on something, what a great day!
I am gonna buy a Lotto ticket and I will share the winnings.

Haha! Same experience. Its especially funny when FSD is late to respond to a slowing down or turning vehicle and ends up beeping at me and telling me take control immediately!!!

Reactions: FSDtester#1
My first 'FSD Whoa!' event happened today in north Phoenix. I was coming down a 4-lane road approaching a left turn when the car pulled into the turn lane - except it wasn't! It was a turn lane, but it was into a parking lot, and the correct left turn lane was another 20-30 yards. In between was a big, fat median bounded by a bright yellow concrete curb. But FSD headed right for it at 20mph! I disengaged, then was stuck at the end of a turn lane with my front bumper up against the curb. Eventually I could back up and go around the median to the correct turn lane. I'm going to post this to the Phoenix Tesla Facebook group to see if anyone else replicates the same thing there.

My first 'FSD Whoa!' event happened today in north Phoenix. I was coming down a 4-lane road approaching a left turn when the car pulled into the turn lane - except it wasn't! It was a turn lane, but it was into a parking lot, and the correct left turn lane was another 20-30 yards. In between was a big, fat median bounded by a bright yellow concrete curb. But FSD headed right for it at 20mph! I disengaged, then was stuck at the end of a turn lane with my front bumper up against the curb. Eventually I could back up and go around the median to the correct turn lane. I'm going to post this to the Phoenix Tesla Facebook group to see if anyone else replicates the same thing there.
Go there again tomorrow and see if it repeats itself.

So far I only have one scenario where it keeps missing, consistently.

See picture below. The red is my travel direction. The yellow is the other traffic from other directions.

Tesla-FSDs-v1236-issue.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
You may want to recalibrate the cameras.

🤬 v12 annoyed me so much today.

Does anyone else get frustrating yoyo-ing when in traffic where the lead car(s) are going well under the speed limit? v12 will speed up (reducing following distance), get too close, grab too much regen, drop back, and then repeat.

I was driving in moderately high traffic (CO highway 93, Boulder CO to Golden for anyone local) with a long train of lead vehicles stuck behind some slow dump trucks. Everyone going about 30 mph in a 55 zone. The kind of situation where ADAS systems should shine and let the driver chill.

It doesn't look to bad in the dashcam footage (although you can pretty clearly see the effect when scrubbing through the footage) but my god is it annoying when it repeatedly approaches too high and has to grab full regen.

It feels like v12 is heavily trained to assume lead vehicles will drive the speed limit (maybe about 5 over around), because this behavior only happens when traffic is slower than the speed limit. v11 performed significantly better in the past and continues to perform better in similar situations when they occur on restricted access highways.

Everyone going 45 in a 40 zone = fine
Everyone going 45 in a 50 zone = yoyoing and shorter following distances

• Love
Reactions: Therealm80
FSD attempted a very bad lane change - into an occupied lane. The other car swerved, and I intervened, so no crash. Barely.

Entering the MacArthur Maze in Oakland, coming onto I80 E from Jackson St. Routing is to the next exit onto hwy 24, which is very close, so we should stay in the lane we entered on. But FSD blinked and immediately started a lane change to the left. But there was a car right there. He swerved, I yanked back into our lane, no damage done.
Yeah the handoff from NN v12 to C++ v11 code on highways or vice versa is shady...extra vigilance is required there. The only time I ever encountered a software crash on FSD (not physical crash) since v12 came out was exiting the freeway and switching back to the e2e NN. I suspect that will all be gone when v12.5 comes around--or maybe even 12.4 will improve it significantly.

🤬 v12 annoyed me so much today.

Does anyone else get frustrating yoyo-ing when in traffic where the lead car(s) are going well under the speed limit? v12 will speed up (reducing following distance), get too close, grab too much regen, drop back, and then repeat.

I was driving in moderately high traffic (CO highway 93, Boulder CO to Golden for anyone local) with a long train of lead vehicles stuck behind some slow dump trucks. Everyone going about 30 mph in a 55 zone. The kind of situation where ADAS systems should shine and let the driver chill.

It doesn't look to bad in the dashcam footage (although you can pretty clearly see the effect when scrubbing through the footage) but my god is it annoying when it repeatedly approaches too high and has to grab full regen.

It feels like v12 is heavily trained to assume lead vehicles will drive the speed limit (maybe about 5 over around), because this behavior only happens when traffic is slower than the speed limit. v11 performed significantly better in the past and continues to perform better in similar situations when they occur on restricted access highways.

Everyone going 45 in a 40 zone = fine
Everyone going 45 in a 50 zone = yoyoing and shorter following distances
CO is miserable. I traveled to CO on v11 and had the same/similar issues

Yeah the handoff from NN v12 to C++ v11 code on highways or vice versa is shady...extra vigilance is required there. The only time I ever encountered a software crash on FSD (not physical crash) since v12 came out was exiting the freeway and switching back to the e2e NN. I suspect that will all be gone when v12.5 comes around--or maybe even 12.4 will improve it significantly.
Do you think compute speed and latency will get better once the C++ is removed completely, and it's one stack?

Do you think compute speed and latency will get better once the C++ is removed completely, and it's one stack?
Well only one stack is running at a time except for the handoff I assume. But certainly required compute reduces when switching from complex C++ to a well-groomed NN, so although I don’t know for sure I would guess the answer is yes for highway driving. The network for city streets will probably get architected more efficiently, but that will be countered probably by a more complex network with more capability.

I think Tesla said they’re running at around 50FPS and latency is somewhere on the order of around 20-75 ms I’d guess. That is more than sufficient for all driving tasks. We as humans sure as heck can’t react that fast to anything.

Last edited:
Well only one stack is running at a time except for the handoff I assume

I don't think that's accurate yet. The visualizations are still powered by the older v11 perception stack, along with active safety features like auto emergency braking.

I have no idea how much improvement there theoretically would be, but it seems pretty unlikely the C++ gets fully ripped out any time soon (for the use cases mentioned above, active safety and visualizations).

Reactions: JB47394