Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another edge case, bad road designs, this one is narrow road, dark driving, fork in road, no guide lines, had to disengage as FSD got confused in the middle and would have hit the split

Again,Ike my other edge case, miss aligned intersection, feels like FSD does not use map data, just cameras

Come on 12.4

I don't think that's accurate yet. The visualizations are still powered by the older v11 perception stack, along with active safety features like auto emergency braking.
Note all of this is speculation but my best guess on what’s happening based on everything I’ve seen and read about it:

The perception stack is running for both v11 and v12. That is the input for both the v11 C++ planner and the v12 neural net planner. This brings in video input, registers it, identifies things (cars, stoplights, lanes, drivable space, etc) and converts it into “vector space”.

Onscreen visualizations are likely separately fed from the perception stack to the graphics hardware and would neither introduce computational demands on the inference computer nor would it introduce any significant latency into the FSD stack.
I have no idea how much improvement there theoretically would be, but it seems pretty unlikely the C++ gets fully ripped out any time soon (for the use cases mentioned above, active safety and visualizations).
There will definitely still be C++ code in the system—but I suspect the heaviest computational demands by far would be the complex heuristic planning code of v11.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Why’s the latest USB stick we should use to increase sentry recording space? I’ve seen so many opinions for durability and extreme temperatures
What size also?
You can use the USB stick that came with the car. I’ve also had luck using a slim 1TB external portable HDD, although depending on how quickly or slowly it boots up you might get an error and have to unplug/replug it when you get into the car. (Not sure if that’s a bug or something that happens with particularly slow drives.) The rest of the requirements are in the manual but lots of different USB drives will do. Don’t go less than 64GB minimum. Since the system is recording video so often, if your drive is too small you’ll get a lot of read/write cycles, which can wear the drives out faster.

Last edited:
I think Tesla said they’re running at around 50FPS and latency is somewhere on the order of around 20-75 ms I’d guess. That is more than sufficient for all driving tasks. We as humans sure as heck can’t react that fast to anything.

At one point Elon was saying 10ms too. That'd be the day.

I could be way off base but I bet there will be even more dawdling at stop sign intersections if v12.4.1 finally removes the 10.69 stop short/creep crutch.

I am not sure we, the users, are at any position to quantify the latency. Latency could be HW or SW or both. How would you identify what it is?
A good example would be a stoplight turning from red to green.

There’s the latency from when the light changes to when it shows up on the visualization. This would be relatively easy to measure from a video, but it would include the latency of the graphics rendering so not too useful a number without more details.

But the harder (nearly impossible) thing to measure by observing vehicle behavior would be latency from when the light turns green to when the car starts reacting to the green light.

That’s because a delay doesn’t mean the car hasn’t processed the green light yet. It may have, for example, learned from videos to wait a moment after a light changes to ensure the intersection’s clear.

Or the neural net might be indecisive about something. That’s not latency, that’s just two possible outcomes having similar probabilities in the neural net and on each compute cycle it wallows between those two solutions.

Tried 3 times with every trick in the book including service autopilot check, cannot get software check to update from 2 days ago. That has never happened to me before. Will try again after my next refill.

Love the disclaimer:

I was just coming on to say this. I’m stuck on Jun 4 after trying every trick in the book.

Funny, when I read you were going to go burn one, I thought what a great idea. So I did. When I was done, I realised you were talking about a software check. Then I couldn’t. Plus side, I feel so much better about the back dated frozen software check. Think I’ll go burn another and hit the rack