Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible the trigger for the next wave is a % of the previous pending installs to download coupled with a date trigger so it doesn’t drag on too long?

If 80% download then next wave.
Or 24 hours then next wave.
Unless manual intervention to stop?

I can’t imagine there’s a Tesla employee manually pushing these waves.

Would be fun to try and figure out the triggers.

My v12.3 drive over Rancho Santa Fe San Diego yesterday. Speed limit mostly 55 mph. Smooth like silk.
I din't have crossing over double yellow line problem like PianoAI had. - See left repeater video.

Good to know. His roads might have been a little tighter blind turns. In any event it'll be years before we can drop our guard given the lack of redundancy and box of chocolate effects.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Can someone explain this:

On the old system of hard-coded instructions, if something isn't working, say the car is driving too slowly, it can be fixed by changing some programming.

With this new neural net system, where the car is basing its behavior on examples of others driving is similar situations, how does one fix a problem like driving too slowly?
In general, by gathering a whole bunch of video examples of the "correct" behavior, and using that in the next training set for the neural net (which tries to mimic the training set), and rolling it out in the next version. It is sort of a black art, though.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I'd settle for it being able to just drive me (yes, drive me) for a half-hour back roads jaunt without my having to be on shpilkes the entire time. My good friend in Cupertino just got it, so Boston can't be TOO far behind....
Until FSD reaches true L4 reliability (less than one safety mistake per million miles), the shpilkes (love the word) will regrettably be necessary. There is going to be a vast uncanny valley where the reliability is enough that you REALLY want to just relax and stop paying attention, but not enough to be actually safe. We are not to this uncanny valley yet for city streets (currently about one mistake per mile, in my experience), but are approaching it for highway (currently about one mistake per 100 miles).

In general, by gathering a whole bunch of video examples of the "correct" behavior, and using that in the next training set for the neural net (which tries to mimic the training set), and rolling it out in the next version. It is sort of a black art, though.
I have the impression that they twisted some parameters to make the car behaves a little bit differently, not always retraining FSD. For example: v12.3 is different than v12.2.1: in v12.3 the car is closer to the curb in most situations, not in the center of lane lane like v12.2.1. Did they retrain to have this new behavior?

Getting ready to take it out for the first time for the Beaver 🦫 test.

I guess when they built the houses on my street, they had a fascination with Beavers.

So they decided to put one in the middle of the entrance to my neighborhood in the middle of the street in the ground, protruding about 3 inches up above the asphalt.
You can easily drive over it, just a couple of bumps.

Fsd has always when pulling onto my street on a left turn entrance, been calm until it sees the beaver, and then yanks the yoke hard left and emergency brakes. This has been such a pain point, I disengage now all the time driving into my neighborhood.

So V12, if you can avoid throwing my yoke suddenly near the beaver 🦫, I will be impressed.

I have the impression that they twisted some parameters to make the car behaves a little bit differently, not always retraining FSD. For example: v12.3 is different than v12.2.1: in v12.3 the car is closer to the curb in most situations, not in the center of lane lane like v12.2.1. Did they retrain to have this new behavior?
Yes, I believe each dot-release is fully retrained. The amount of C++ code and explicit control logic is rapidly diminishing; I'm not sure what sort of controls and parameters are still explicitly coded, other than the user-facing settings.

Yes, I believe each dot-release is fully retrained. The amount of C++ code and explicit control logic is rapidly diminishing; I'm not sure what sort of controls and parameters are still explicitly coded, other than the user-facing settings.
I am not talking about C++ parameters.
See training vs parameters here:

Last edited: