Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw an Ohio pop in there, cmon Pennsylvania!
1710865865156.png

The speed thing is really weird and it’s making me a little seasick.
If you're on Auto Speed, turn that off.

I think that the car always chooses its speed based on conditions, but having an upper limit on the speed means that once it reaches that limit, the hunting around has no effect. If your setting is 50, then whether the car thinks the best speed is 50 or 53, it's going to do 50. In cases where conditions require the car to slow down, it'll slow down and hunt for the best speed, but if the appropriate speed for the road is 50, conditions should allow that again pretty quickly.

This means that if you want to shut down the hunting effect, lower your set speed to the point where the car always wants to go faster. If you're in a 25 zone, and the car is hunting around between 23 and 28, set your speed to 23. Unfortunately, that would mean that you're undoubtedly going too slow for other drivers, but that's the idea.

To return to Auto Speed, that seems to do only one thing: puts the set speed at something very high to allow the car to hunt for the appropriate speed all the time.

Two HW4 Model Ys in PA. So we at least know it's possible in the state.
I think at this point, TeslaFi shows most states have at least one install, and the states without any detected might just have too small of a population on that service to detect the rollout. So potentially 12.x has been deployed to all states at least 1% rollout -- i.e., it's possible in any state.

Here's the states with at least one install for the initial validation rollout sorted with largest potential population first:
Code:
Washington (9) 4%
New York (2) 1%
Pennsylvania (4) 3%
Illinois (10) 8%
Maryland (4) 3%
Colorado (8) 6%
New Jersey (3) 2%
Massachusetts (3) 3%
Ohio (3) 3%
Minnesota (2) 2%
Michigan (3) 3%
Indiana (4) 5%
Oregon (4) 5%
Connecticut (1) 2%
Missouri (3) 6%
Utah (1) 2%
New Hampshire (1) 3%
Kansas (2) 9%
Alabama (2) 10%
Louisiana (2) 10%
Idaho (1) 6%
New Mexico (1) 6%
Rhode Island (1) 7%
Maine (2) 17%
Vermont (2) 17%
Mississippi (1) 10%
Alaska (1) 20%
North Dakota (1) 25%
South Dakota (1) 33%

Whereas these have none detected but Wisconsin at the top of this list only has 70 vehicles potentially getting 12.x, so a 1% rollout would expect .7 vehicles:
Code:
Wisconsin (0)
Tennessee (0)
Oklahoma (0)
Iowa (0)
Kentucky (0)
Delaware (0)
Washington DC (0)
Nebraska (0)
Arkansas (0)
Hawaii (0)
Montana (0)
West Virginia (0)
Wyoming (0)

And for reference, the states with wider rollout seems to be around 40% now:
Code:
California (264) 28%
Texas (123) 34%
Florida (92) 29%
Virginia (73) 41%
North Carolina (46) 39%
Arizona (41) 38%
Georgia (33) 31%
Nevada (22) 52%
South Carolina (11) 30%

EVERYONE: I sent a Report a couple of weeks ago and asked this thread be made a Sticky and it was denied.

This is by far the dominate thread and needs to be a Sticky

So Everyone send a Report asking it to be made a Sticky.

Also think the named should be changed to V12 Experiences
Will send another myself right now. Only takes 10 seconds.
there was a separate thread with v12 driving experiences and for some reason the mods decided to merge it with the 2 year old rumor thread. Maybe they're trying to see how long they can make a thread before it crashes the server.

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I think at this point, TeslaFi shows most states have at least one install, and the states without any detected might just have too small of a population on that service to detect the rollout. So potentially 12.x has been deployed to all states at least 1% rollout -- i.e., it's possible in any state.

Here's the states with at least one install for the initial validation rollout sorted with largest potential population first:
Code:
Washington (9) 4%
New York (2) 1%
Pennsylvania (4) 3%
Illinois (10) 8%
Maryland (4) 3%
Colorado (8) 6%
New Jersey (3) 2%
Massachusetts (3) 3%
Ohio (3) 3%
Minnesota (2) 2%
Michigan (3) 3%
Indiana (4) 5%
Oregon (4) 5%
Connecticut (1) 2%
Missouri (3) 6%
Utah (1) 2%
New Hampshire (1) 3%
Kansas (2) 9%
Alabama (2) 10%
Louisiana (2) 10%
Idaho (1) 6%
New Mexico (1) 6%
Rhode Island (1) 7%
Maine (2) 17%
Vermont (2) 17%
Mississippi (1) 10%
Alaska (1) 20%
North Dakota (1) 25%
South Dakota (1) 33%

Whereas these have none detected but Wisconsin at the top of this list only has 70 vehicles potentially getting 12.x, so a 1% rollout would expect .7 vehicles:
Code:
Wisconsin (0)
Tennessee (0)
Oklahoma (0)
Iowa (0)
Kentucky (0)
Delaware (0)
Washington DC (0)
Nebraska (0)
Arkansas (0)
Hawaii (0)
Montana (0)
West Virginia (0)
Wyoming (0)

And for reference, the states with wider rollout seems to be around 40% now:
Code:
California (264) 28%
Texas (123) 34%
Florida (92) 29%
Virginia (73) 41%
North Carolina (46) 39%
Arizona (41) 38%
Georgia (33) 31%
Nevada (22) 52%
South Carolina (11) 30%
What is your view on the IV Drip style waves? It’s been looking like it goes down to ~40 and goes back to ~140 pending.

I received v12 on Sunday. I took it for a Trader Joe's run, which is a simple drive from my house, around 7 miles, almost entirely on one road.

On the way there, it did extremely well, much better than any v11 build I had previously tried. Driving was smooth, and I was particularly impressed with a couple of lane changes the car made to get around slow traffic; they were ones I probably would not have done myself, as I'm pretty patient, but they actually resulted in making a couple of green lights that I otherwise would have missed. On the downside, even though I have the car set to alert me with both a tone and steering wheel vibration before making a lane change, I don't think it did either.

The drive home was similarly good, though at one point it appeared to me that the car was waiting too long to get out of a lane that was about to become turn-only, and the lane I needed to be in had a motorcycle in it approaching from behind, so I went ahead and changed manually to avoid any possible issues with the car deciding to cut off a motorcycle at the last minute. It might have done just fine, but I really didn't want to wait to find out.

One thing that will prevent me from using FSD as it stands today with any regularity, however, is following distance. Even in Chill mode, it follows cars much too closely. I drive defensively and like to sit back several car lengths so I can see not only the car in front of me but also the cars around and in front of it. Since I still have to supervise FSD, I want it to do the same, but it was much too close to the car immediately in front of me for much of this drive - often within a car length or less at 45 mph. This is simply not safe behavior, particularly when it's clear that the car cannot see, based on what's on the display, that there are indeed other cars in front of the lead car. This tailgating behavior was especially bad when behind black and other dark cars - maybe just a coincidence, but I do wonder if the cameras perceive the distances to darker and lighter colored vehicles differently somehow.

This morning, I tested the system again on my interstate commute, but had to turn it off pretty early in my drive. The first hiccup was when I was stopped in a line of cars at a light. The car needed to continue straight and the map showed that it intended to do so, but while I was stopped, the wheel jerked pretty violently to the left several times, until it had turned ~180 degrees. This was quite unnerving. I cancelled FSD, righted the wheel, reengaged, and it did it again. The car righted the wheel as we began to move, with my hands ready to correct it if it failed to do so, but it was still disturbing and unexplainable behavior.

After it failed to start braking as I was an approaching a nearly stopped car in a line of traffic on the interstate, I took over at around 40 mph with maybe 100 feet to spare. Maybe it would have braked, but again, I would rather it not wait so long. I like gradual stops and gradual acceleration, particularly when there are other cars all around. Making a sudden stop like that is just asking to get rear-ended.

In short, this iteration of v12 represents progress, but not nearly enough for me to feel comfortable using it on a regular basis. Back to EAP on the highway for me.

I like your definition of "useful". It succinctly summarizes my feeling but when you say 'highway' do you mean controlled access highway? Because here in Ontario it is not less mentally taxing on uncontrolled highways (too much diving into turning lanes). My FSD supportive husband often turns it and TACC off while on highway drives because of stress involved in using it.
Yes, I meant controlled-access highway (freeway). I already find it meets the "useful L2" definition there, although it still regularly makes mistakes that require intervention, perhaps one or two per 100 miles. I still find it useful even though it's not L3 (eyes-off-road) yet.
I've got HW3, so not likely to ever see city streets usefulness. And waiting to 2026 for even undivided highway usefulness is too long for me. By then I'll be six years into my seven year car ownership cycle and the only compelling reason to stretch out our ownership like we did with the PriusV would be solid L2 on city streets. Instead, another almost 2 years of irritating (nags when I'm holding the wheel and looking straight ahead instead of at the screen and thus miss the flashing blue) and untrustworthy L2 on undivided highways will be the nail in our ownership of this car.
Apparently the nags are context-dependent, so you should get them much less often in "easy" driving conditions. (On an uncrowded wide-open freeway, perhaps once every several minutes.) I do wonder how this will evolve as the system reliability improves. I have a 2017 M3 and 2022 MY, both with FSD, and plan to upgrade the M3 to a MS in a year or two, transfering FSD if that's still an option. I do expect Tesla to achieve controlled-access highway L3 (no nags or strikes unless prompted to take over) within the MS lifetime, and possibly controlled-access highway L4 (no in-motion nags or takeover prompts at all) towards the end of it.
The irritation of the nags is something that I feel has to be resolved before FSD is 'useful' by your excellent definition. There's a stress that comes from worrying about a strike and so that adds to the stress of wondering if the car is going to do something dangerous. With both HW3 and HW4, this is an unresolvable "in the car" lack of hardware issue. The option to pay to upgrade my steering wheel to one that could feel I'm holding it in order to get rid of nags would be tempting but tesla is doubling down on the ineffective interior camera instead.
I've found that the system is particularly sensitive to the first 10 seconds or so after enabling FSD; if I look away for more than a split-second during that time, it dings me. This is presumably to discourage drivers from enabling FSD just in order to do some immediate task that takes their eyes off the road. But agreed, even the first ding adds anxiety. (And I sometimes get dinged even when I'm looking straight ahead at the road; the camera system is far from perfect.) If this happens on a long drive, I'll sometimes pull over and put the car in park, just to reset the strikes. But I think that some system of nags/strikes is unfortunately necessary while FSD requires the level of supervision it does. Until it can drive a million miles between unforced safety-critical errors (such as merging into a turnout lane at speed on the highway, which I've seen it do several times), it won't be ready for L3.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
I received v12 on Sunday. I took it for a Trader Joe's run, which is a simple drive from my house, around 7 miles, almost entirely on one road.

On the way there, it did extremely well, much better than any v11 build I had previously tried. Driving was smooth, and I was particularly impressed with a couple of lane changes the car made to get around slow traffic; they were ones I probably would not have done myself, as I'm pretty patient, but they actually resulted in making a couple of green lights that I otherwise would have missed. On the downside, even though I have the car set to alert me with both a tone and steering wheel vibration before making a lane change, I don't think it did either.

The drive home was similarly good, though at one point it appeared to me that the car was waiting too long to get out of a lane that was about to become turn-only, and the lane I needed to be in had a motorcycle in it approaching from behind, so I went ahead and changed manually to avoid any possible issues with the car deciding to cut off a motorcycle at the last minute. It might have done just fine, but I really didn't want to wait to find out.

One thing that will prevent me from using FSD as it stands today with any regularity, however, is following distance. Even in Chill mode, it follows cars much too closely. I drive defensively and like to sit back several car lengths so I can see not only the car in front of me but also the cars around and in front of it. Since I still have to supervise FSD, I want it to do the same, but it was much too close to the car immediately in front of me for much of this drive - often within a car length or less at 45 mph. This is simply not safe behavior, particularly when it's clear that the car cannot see, based on what's on the display, that there are indeed other cars in front of the lead car. This tailgating behavior was especially bad when behind black and other dark cars - maybe just a coincidence, but I do wonder if the cameras perceive the distances to darker and lighter colored vehicles differently somehow.

This morning, I tested the system again on my interstate commute, but had to turn it off pretty early in my drive. The first hiccup was when I was stopped in a line of cars at a light. The car needed to continue straight and the map showed that it intended to do so, but while I was stopped, the wheel jerked pretty violently to the left several times, until it had turned ~180 degrees. This was quite unnerving. I cancelled FSD, righted the wheel, reengaged, and it did it again. The car righted the wheel as we began to move, with my hands ready to correct it if it failed to do so, but it was still disturbing and unexplainable behavior.

After it failed to start braking as I was an approaching a nearly stopped car in a line of traffic on the interstate, I took over at around 40 mph with maybe 100 feet to spare. Maybe it would have braked, but again, I would rather it not wait so long. I like gradual stops and gradual acceleration, particularly when there are other cars all around. Making a sudden stop like that is just asking to get rear-ended.

In short, this iteration of v12 represents progress, but not nearly enough for me to feel comfortable using it on a regular basis. Back to EAP on the highway for me.
As many have pointed out, V12 isn't used on the interstate. It reverts to the old stack.

This may be a dumb question, but here goes. My M3 (HW3) is currently on 2024.2.7, so obviously I'm not on a branch that can get FSD v12 right now. Tesla is trying to push 2024.8.4 to me. If I manage to stay on 2024.2.7, is there a chance I'll get v12 sooner than if I take the 2024.8.4 update?

Sorry if this question has been addressed in this thread. I've been watching for a few weeks but don't remember it having been asked.
Seriously - if you can't read all 6290 posts in this thread, why are you pestering the rest of us? It's right there if you'd just look! :p
Couple highlights from yesterday and today on 12.3. Crossing double lane markings avoiding emergency vehicle. Stopping for school bus. For the school bus, there was also a stop sign displayed on the UI but I only have dashcam video.

We'll need more examples to see but this is a good sign that they've fixed the 'school bus bug'
and almost no Elon cursing which is a RECORD
Maybe we should add an Elon curse quotient as a score of usability?

• Funny
Reactions: rlsd and funtommy
As many have pointed out, V12 isn't used on the interstate. It reverts to the old stack.
Oh, I know, but the behavior is also clearly different from what it does when using EAP even on the same software build. When I switched back to EAP this morning, following distance immediately became more comfortable (longer), and stopping for cars ahead of me also became more gradual.

And Go Bucs !

Reactions: uscbucsfan
does he mean 3 improvements every 2 weeks or 1 improvement every 2 weeks, 3 in total?
I think his post reveals the direction he's given to focus the Autopilot team. In some sense, "Operation Vacation" is mostly there especially with end-to-end able to improve the neural networks with general data collection, but instead of going on vacation just waiting for data to come in, he wants the team to use the usual 2-week development cycle actively working on the top 3 issues.

Reactions: rlsd and powertoold
9-mile commute. Link provided yesterday here which is important for evaluating the scenario. Pretty awesome overall. Light traffic.

0 disengagements (a first, by far, fewest ever is like 3-4 or something probably). There were one or two lucky situations where it was drifting uncertainly for a second, and if there had been cars around I would have disengaged.

~7+ interventions, for speed and a couple lane changes I wanted to make, or cancel impending incorrect ones it wanted to do.

Absolutely ZERO nags. Not one. (9 and 3 FTW.)

🔥 🔥 🔥 (Seriously!)

This thing is good (for my application).

To me, more investigation needed, but it seems to make some attempts to drift around the lane to create buffers, and it may be avoiding blind spots. BUT, I am not sure about this; obviously could be chance. Wasn’t super busy this morning so not too many opportunities to observe. TBD

Will it make mistakes? Yes
Is the speed control broken? Yes
Is the stopping behavior stupid? Yes
Will it be pretty useless in some scenarios? Yes
Will it be a robotaxi? Absolutely not on current hardware, obviously.

So it appears fundamentally good for certain specific scenarios, but is also currently broken, as previously described. We will see if it can overcome these issues and be useful in slightly more complex scenarios.

This means that if you want to shut down the hunting effect, lower your set speed to the point where the car always wants to go faster. If you're in a 25 zone, and the car is hunting around between 23 and 28, set your speed to 23. Unfortunately, that would mean that you're undoubtedly going too slow for other drivers, but that's the idea.
Yes, both modes are broken.

Last edited:
What is your view on the IV Drip style waves? It’s been looking like it goes down to ~40 and goes back to ~140 pending.
I think that's pretty standard Tesla vehicle software deployment process of small rollout to evaluate knowing the typical observed install rate (e.g., some people are traveling or generally fast/slow to install updates). Tesla needs time to allow for the installation and usage and potentially long enough to avoid "first day" bias to have meaningful data to compare, and some evaluations can be done in parallel resulting in multiple rollouts. The new thing with 12.x is the state-by-state selection, but the deploying to various hardware/software configuration is pretty standard (although usually across different versions whereas here with 12.3 / 2023.44.30.25, it's the same version).

Most people getting 2024.x software skipping past 2023.44.30.25 are likely those outside of US/Canada or don't have FSD Capability or have incompatible hardware. Tesla is choosing not to deploy this "too new" software to vehicles that could get 12.3, so that's why US HW3 vehicles with FSD have been kept on 2023.44.30.8/.14. Although some reason it seems like Tesla decided 12.3 might not be ready for portrait screen Model S/X (without interior camera?) and pushed out 2024.2.7, but hopefully Tesla bumps up 12.x to some 2024.x version soon to include those vehicles as well as new subscribers and purchases.

I think you're reading too much into it. Lots of guys who've been doing this for 2+ years haven't gotten it yet like @Ramphex . Some of them are my neighbors.
I don’t have the update and I’m one of the OGs from back when we had to play the Safety Score game. (Still have PTSD from it 😅)

I don’t have the update and I’m one of the OGs from back when we had to play the Safety Score game. (Still have PTSD from it 😅)
I for one am curious about how the J Crew will react. But I hope Tesla fixes the stopping and speed issues before that wider release. You guys don’t deserve to be saddled with the current version; you’ve been through enough.

I for one am curious about how the J Crew will react. But I hope Tesla fixes the stopping and speed issues before that wider release. You guys don’t deserve to be saddled with the current version; you’ve been through enough.
I’ve been on the J crew for a while now and I’d like to bring it up one notch. What’s one level up from J?