Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love to see videos of it going faster than the speed limit and keeping up with traffic.

I don't have any video, but it certainly does go faster than the speed limit, but it doesn't always keep up with traffic.

No need for video, just put your car into a herd of cars all going over the speed limit. Voila. If it's just a few cars passing you randomly, it won't speed. If it's just the lead car speeding away from you, it won't speed. Needs to be a herd of cars around you (several in front, several behind you, and several to the sides of you).

It didn't even need to be in a herd:
  • First at stop light in a 30 MPH zone, when it turned green it shot up to 37 MPH, then drifted up to 39MPH and then back down to 37MPH. (Leaving most of the traffic in the dust, other than the truck to my left.)
  • In a 35MPH zone it went up to 44MPH, touched 45 MPH once, but did not keep up with traffic.
  • In a 35MPH zone at the back of a line of cars at the light in the left lane, with only one car in the right lane, after it turned green it followed traffic until shortly after the intersection, then switched to the right lane and speed up to 37 MPH passing all the cars in the left lane until it caught up with the lead car.
  • In a 20 MPH zone it went up to 32 MPH, but was not keeping up with traffic.
Something to note is I have my speed offset set to 23%, which works out exactly what the auto-max tended to drift to. (37 in a 30, 44 in a 35) But it would certainly exceed it. So maybe your offset setting influences it, but doesn't control it.

All of this was with zero input from me.

Reactions: Dewg
Interesting. Link ?

I personally think a private company & corruption are more likely the reason. Those are easier to implement than a widespread (local) government conspiracy.
Well, this is New Jersey. We.. kind of have a rep.

But the MO was pretty straightforward. The private company lobbied the state legislature to allow their tech into the state. State laws were passed/changed to allow it. The general idea was that local municipalities issue and collect speeding fines and such, so they would be the ones to contract with the private company - not the state.

So, with the blessing of the state, this company went from municipality to municipality, promising riches with no effort on their part. Except for actual installation.

Over the time of a year these things went in. The only one I was personally familiar with was the one at Rt. 1 and Prince street. That one and numerous others caused Major Complaints to officials in the municipalities and the states. And articles started showing up in the local newspapers about protests and complaints. It wasn't just that Rte. 1 & Prince Street, where people were being ticketed for turning right on left, when there was no other traffic entering Prince street, ever, from any other direction. But that location was just one of dozens of locations, state wide, that citizens were complaining bitterly about.

When the reps in the state legislature started doing hearings, there were all sorts of lobbying from both the private company and at least some of the municipalities against any changes because, well, they liked the money. But when in-the-open hearings got started and citizens started standing up and testifying, things went south pretty quickly.

I suppose there might have been legit places where those cameras were placed where they were actually catching real traffic violators. But the squeaking wheels definitely got the grease. The law allowing for those things was abrogated and signed with speed by the governor and they were gone, state wide, in six months.

I remember some techdirt articles about the Chicago situation. One second.. Yup:

Redflex. And, if memory serves, the company changed names at least once trying to get out from under the cloud if illegality.

Last edited:
After a 40 minute, 13 mile, drive I rate it A-. I provided absolutely no input for the entire drive. The minus is only because it slowed to 10 mph for a skateboarder it thought was trying to cross the street, but didn't. And once it was clear they were not going to it didn't speed back up fast enough. (I probably should have intervened and sped it up, but I wanted to see what it would do.)

I was driving with acceleration in Chill, FSDb set to average, and MLC not turned on.

Oddity:
  • Way less robotic in terms of lane positioning. Sometimes too far to the left other times too far to the right. (For no discernable reason.)
Improvements from V11:
  • No unnecessary lane changes.
  • No unnecessary turn signal use.
  • No nags. (V11 always had some even though I held the steering wheel exactly the same.)
  • Signaled twice as far from turns.
  • Way better turning path on right turns.
Cons:
  • Didn't take control of the bike lane on right turns like V11 did.
  • Over cautious for potential VRU.
  • Maybe a little too aggressive on acceleration.
  • HORRIBLE insurance safety score.
Screenshot_20240321_183105_Drive Safe & Save.jpg

Notes on the State Farm safety score:
  • It is way too sensitive on braking. I would have only dinged FSD for one of the five stops that the app dinged it for. (At a yellow light.)
  • Speeding is when it goes 9 MPH, or more, over the speed limit for a distance. (A very brief excursion over the limit won't trigger it.)

Quick go try out the Reading roundabout! I was close by but didn't have time for that drive.
Ooh I did not think of trying it, I took off through MIddleton and up I95 and back to start with a nice sparse traffic experience, but that's OK, there'll be opportunities, as I'm definitely wanting to give it more of a workout.

First impressions were basically, "Holy *sugar*, yes", for most of the time, and the little hiccups didn't do that much to put me out of my good mood. I had ZERO speed-related issues, in terms of going an inappropriate speed on a deserted (or otherwise) road. The limits were 30 and 35 and it consistently went 3-4 over. I'd have been doing 40-45 but this wasn't a race lol.

There's a funky intersection near my house:

middleton-intersection.jpg

Coming toward it from Essex street above, there's a sharp left up a hill onto Forest that is actually "going straight" through the light. V11 would get into the correct lane, but then go brain dead in the middle of the intersection and start trying to turn left and I'd have to intervene. After the second time we didn't play that game any more.

Unfortunately, tonight V12 stopped so short of the stop line that it didn't trigger the signal to change and I sat there through a few cycles before realizing it, and then somehow ended up disengaged through the intersection. But I had a feeling it would've aced it. I'll find out another day soon I guess. Have to teach a #%$!-ing class tomorrow, won't get to play until the afternoon.

From the opposite direction, there was another problem. I approached from Forest St. and sat at the light OK, but when it turned green, Nameless went way over the double yellow crossing 114 (N. Main on the map) . It had plenty of room to the right, I don't get that one.

I feel that gushing about how human-like and confident it felt would be preaching to the choir here so I'll restrain myself, but wow, this gives me so much hope. It's like more than that now, it's relief. Yes, this works. It needs refinement, but not, it would seem, another round of heading back to the drawing board until maybe a couple of years from now they invent a better NN design. That's a better reason to redesign than, "This will never work."

I'm going to share one very subjective experience I had, and it was somewhat startling. I was comparing the experience of a tailgater when I'm the one driving, vs. when Nameless is driving (yes, driving). If it were me, I'd be getting annoyed, probably speed up to get the heck away or something. With Nameless driving at a reasonable speed, I was just thinking, "Sorry, Charlie, you picked the wrong time to be wanting to go faster, because I'm beta testing FSD and I couldn't care less how much of a hurry you're in." And I didn't have to care at all lol. But that's not the end of it.

When I got home, I told my wife I wish she'd been willing to go with me because it was kinda monumental, and it hit me: The guy was tailgating me and I didn't even care. This is me, who has been telling everyone how I never let any vehicles be directly behind me when I'm testing due to phantom braking. I did not even worry about that happening. Probably I was being irresponsible, I don't know, but I guess I got away with it. Nameless never hesitated or went too slow except for the stop signs, which we won't even talk about.

Me happy.

Sometimes you don’t know far it will go until it’s too late.
I guess I've avoided damage due to FSDb so far by having a relatively itchy disengage finger.
I did notice V12 was leaving less margin for error on the right than I'd prefer (just my one test drive tonight) and I have feeling various behaviors like this will be ameliorated though training. I guess hearing about the speed control issues didn't bug me too much either because it just doesn't seem difficult to fix. The difficult part was just getting to where it is today.

Sometimes you don’t know far it will go until it’s too late.
Bingo, Maybe that's the reason some of us who have 40k to 50k plus miles on fsd with no collisions got the software update sooner than others. Experience, miles while on fsd, and we don't let it get to far before disengaging. Letting it go too far is dangerous for you, the public at large, and can perhaps slow down how fast the software gets released.
Disengagements is where they likely collect the most useful data.
Will they get good data from people letting it go and then a collision 💥 occurs?
Probably...

Is that ever worthwhile or what anyone who is sane wants?

If you can't answer that question, put your driver's license through your nearest shredder.

Reactions: bhakan
You have to wonder what she was thinking, after the first curb incident.

Watch your wheels, new recipients. It definitely cuts certain center islands/etc. close.
I don't have any video, but it certainly does go faster than the speed limit, but it doesn't always keep up with traffic.

It didn't even need to be in a herd:
  • First at stop light in a 30 MPH zone, when it turned green it shot up to 37 MPH, then drifted up to 39MPH and then back down to 37MPH. (Leaving most of the traffic in the dust, other than the truck to my left.)
  • In a 35MPH zone it went up to 44MPH, touched 45 MPH once, but did not keep up with traffic.
  • In a 35MPH zone at the back of a line of cars at the light in the left lane, with only one car in the right lane, after it turned green it followed traffic until shortly after the intersection, then switched to the right lane and speed up to 37 MPH passing all the cars in the left lane until it caught up with the lead car.
  • In a 20 MPH zone it went up to 32 MPH, but was not keeping up with traffic.
Something to note is I have my speed offset set to 23%, which works out exactly what the auto-max tended to drift to. (37 in a 30, 44 in a 35) But it would certainly exceed it. So maybe your offset setting influences it, but doesn't control it.

All of this was with zero input from me.
Yes. Definitely sounds broken. I’ll have to play with my offset (I think just 10% otherwise it is too fast in residential areas) to see if that is the key to altering this behavior and at least biasing it slightly faster. I figured it would not since the manual dial did nothing. But it is buggy so who knows.

Overall I love the acceleration - in most cases don’t have to get on the accelerator (once it decides to go which is a problem), whereas before I did to avoid annoying other drivers. Have kind of traded one for the other!

Last edited:
You have to wonder what she was thinking, after the first curb incident.

Indeed.

I've clipped a curb once on FSD, and it was in a huge snowstorm with a foot a snow on an early FSD release. FSD was struggling but to be fair I couldn't see the curb under there anyway 🤣.

The scrapped up wheel is a badge of honor and my contribution to FSD, lol. I'm pretty carefully around curbs now, especially the right side. Can't quite feel how close we are over on that side

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I've done so many rim repairs on so many cars from curb rash, I tried something different this time (after 2-3 repairs in two years): AlloyGators. I've got the blue ones on the rims and while admittedly they're a wee bit tacky, I've already discovered they take abuse a lot better than the bare rims do :)

Reactions: pilotSteve