Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what I have been waiting:
(2024.8.4)
"The vehicle's turn signal icons are now easier to see at a glance. Instead of the arrow being inside of a circle, the new turn signals are now simple arrows, which better matches other vehicles."
I'm really looking forward to this too. My eyes are getting older, and I have a hard time figuring out which direction the current signal is pointing to. I was thinking of switching to night colors all the time, but I may not have to.

V12.3 adds some frustration for sure. I need to apply throttle to maintain the desired set speeds otherwise I'm continually monitoring UI and correcting the indicated speed with throttle input.

I can't tolerate the early brake and dawdle to stop profile so I'm applying throttle to that as well but so far it feels to harsh so I likely will disengage for stop signs and red lights. V12.3 is just as bad as v11.4.9 when it comes to stop sign decisiveness. It occasionally dawdles and creeps until it's in the path of cross traffic.

Had a weird experience accelerating from a green light with a lead vehicle. V12.3 took off with the default excess acceleration but then abruptly let off after it came too close to the lead vehicle. It felt like FSD was battling with itself.

High beam usage is almost psychotic with frequent split second bursts.

I thought they were gone but v12.3 had one episode of a late hard brake to a red light.

On a 45mph 3 wide road FSD waited until the last seconds to cut over 2 lanes.

And early turn signals are adding confusion for fellow drivers on the road.

If you use the old speed selection, does that force it into v11 mode?
No, it's still using V12. If you set your speed manually and V12 thinks that it can go faster than that, it'll just use your maximum and it'll all be great. But if V12 thinks that the speed should be below your maximum, it'll exhibit its "speed hunting" behavior. By setting Auto Speed, you effectively set your maximum to 99, allowing V12 to speed hunt all the time.

This is what I have been waiting:
(2024.8.4)
"The vehicle's turn signal icons are now easier to see at a glance. Instead of the arrow being inside of a circle, the new turn signals are now simple arrows, which better matches other vehicles."
Not sure that's in the update I just installed, but yay, I've hated how I can't immediately tell whether it's the left or right blinker going by looking at my display in front (MS). I've always wanted the arrows to be bigger and a further distance apart...

My MS front display always have the left blinker to the left and right blinker to the right of the display.
Sure, but my problem is that if I take a quick glance down, I cannot QUICKLY tell whether it's the left or right one, it actually takes me about a second of looking. I'm not neuro-typical, so this probably wouldn't be as much of an issue for most people. But I've also really struggled with the directional/brights buttons, it's always miserable for me to use them.

People complained bitterly that previous signaling was not early enough. I really doubt that anyone is confused by the new timing.
Ha, I had a late turn signal last night. The guy behind me clearly expressed his dissatisfaction with how long Nameless waited before turning on the left directional before a turn, because he tore off around me to the right after my signal came on... I would've turned it on twice as far from the turn.

People complained bitterly that previous signaling was not early enough. I really doubt that anyone is confused by the new timing.
It wasn't early enough. Now it's so early that I can have my blinker on before I even come into view of the people at the intersection. They have no way of knowing if I left my turn signal on or if I just turned it on. I know that I don't proceed at intersections when I don't see the person's blinker come on. I have to wait for other signs that they're going to commit to their turn.

I'm really looking forward to this too. My eyes are getting older, and I have a hard time figuring out which direction the current signal is pointing to. I was thinking of switching to night colors all the time, but I may not have to.
Thank You!!! I thought it was just me that had trouble discerning the direction arrows. 😥

You need to press the accelerator a little bit to make the car increase the speed but you don't have to always press it.
Yes, as I said a few times, it decays over 10s of seconds. Just need a pulse of input. Which is good otherwise there would be more acceleration override.
And early turn signals are adding confusion for fellow drivers on the road.
Haven’t seen this. It’ll be a long time before FSD selectively waits on signaling to avoid confusion.
In any case I much prefer early over late. Can always disengage if an early signal results in ambiguity.

2.3 is an improvement in a lot of places... but this particular turn by the office is.... something
Yes, if in doubt, it seems to assumes a marking plus extra pavement means a lane. Causes confusion at some bike lanes too I think. Fortunately they are starting to paint all those green around here, which helps. That was a nice turn though.

Reactions: rlsd and sleepydoc
The early signaling is a welcome change. However, there are some edge cases where early signaling is not appropriate. For example there may be another close turn prior to the intended turn that might cause confusion for other drivers traveling behind you. I think they just need to tweak the criteria for the early turning slightly to accommodate that edge case.

Following up from my V11 issues with V12.3 using Average profile and auto speed control. Amazing.
No longer drives too far left on unmarked roads, even moved left away from rough road edge. Was number one reason for turning off FSD.

Slowly, rather than abruptly, moved to the right before turning left but only sometimes. Not a problem in theory but one spot where cars pass on the right car needs to be aa left as possible while waiting for the unprotected left to open up. Improved but still not safe.

Sometimes, rather than never, signals in advance of breaking. Still not even most of the time.

Perfect for most of my test run where there happens to be a lot of construction and utility pole cherrypickers.

The difficult unprotected left turn off of Rt 1 ME S towards Bayside was interesting. A utility truck blocked the target road entrance so the car deviated from the blue line nav, slowed a bit but did not signal, then stopped a fee yards away and then proceeded to enter a parking lot which is open on both sides allowing the trip to resume. Fantastic!

Yellow - where I wanted to go
Red - the utility picker
Blue - actual options with outgoing stop signs (bizarre, right?)
Green - the way taken, through a parking lot but effective

IMG_5550.jpeg

There were times I wanted to go faster or start pulling away from a full stop sooner and a tap on the go pedal brought the speed up. Aggressive mode will probably improve that.

There's are extremes and an area of happy medium. It feels like another one size fits all non-human-like simulated training data and that will always be a hacked short cut.

More importantly it's unsafe as fellow drivers may be inclined to pull into your path because you are signalling a turn.

I apply turn signals about the time I begin decelerating especially when traffic is closely following but am also considerate of how drivers on the road might interpret my turn signal. I suspect that's true of most human drivers.