Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, and it's March, not May...
Could be the source of some of your problems...
The excitement got the best of me heh. Fixed!

You know what happens after April?
1711238440871.png

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
so it should make sense that lower speeds has less energy to convert reflected by the shrinking green line?
There is definitely less energy to convert at lower speeds, but if it converts it more quickly, the power could be kept the same, but it would slow down faster the slower you went.

Constant stopping power results in increasing deceleration the slower you go.

For reasons of comfort or for reasons of motor conversion ability (no idea what the limitation is), the quantity “full regen power” is reduced at lower speeds, leading to more constant deceleration (I think it is likely decreasing deceleration, meaning power drops off a bit faster than velocity).

Sorry Doc, you didn't read my post. Too bad, I liked you.
Nobody gives a hoot about anyone's opinion about roundabouts.
"Who's driving??? Us or the car?? " Nonsense..
Toooooooo subjective.

Auf Wiedersehen
Sure I read it, and pointed out the different way its done when you DONT have the lane arrangement shown in the video that was referenced. So terribly sorry it didnt agree with what you wanted to hear.

Has anyone else noticed that one factor 12.3 seems to take into account for speed is road quality? There is a construction zone near me and the road is pretty beaten up with temporary work, but smooths out just past the construction (there are no cones or anything, just bad road). Every time the car goes over the rough road it slows a little, but then speeds up when the ride gets smoother. Looks like the car is paying attention to the accelerometer to decide its speed (dont know this for a fact, just speculating from a VERY small sample size).

A couple more trips on 12.3.

- On a busier roundabout, handled the traffic fine. Moreover it entered the roundabout soon after the last car passed.
- Interestingly, FSD no longer drives in the middle of the lane. For no reason at all it might drive closer to one of the lines.
- We have pedestrian-initiated crossings where they can press a button and the lights start flashing. FSD wouldn't stop for the pedestrian when this happened (may have stopped if I let it go close the cross path but that's not the correct way to handle the situation). Ofcourse V11 wouldn't stop either.
- Not many nags in day light compared to night

I’ve been thinking about this Auto Max speed feature and also thinking about how well 12.3 has been handling lane changes on city streets. This may be a trivial association for some, but for me the light bulb finally went off in my little brain(along with some smoke). And I came to the conclusion that Auto Max speed is the direct cause of why lane changing is better in v12.3.

Let’s see if I can explain why I’m thinking this and if it makes sense. With V11 you were locked in to a max speed(with offset) so when you were driving on city streets the car was so focused on getting up to speed that most lane changes were a result of slowing down, sometimes significantly, causing an unnatural like experience while also pissing off drivers traveling behind. With Auto Max speed the car does not rely on an exact speed and offset. Instead it chooses what it thinks is a more natural flow. I think this is definitely is a majority of the intent, however, I think the reason it may be on the slower side is to build in some room for lane changing where it is more appropriate to speed up to change lanes. I’ve seen this behavior much more often in v12.3 and has created a more natural flow and human like response.

Anyway, most of you probably have come to this conclusion much quicker than me. Or maybe what I’m thinking is just nonsense. I’m done making a fool out of myself. Talk amongst yourselves. 😆

Late Sept 2023 build LR Model X, HW4.

First drive—10 minutes at night, very little traffic so this is just preliminary.

100k-120k miles with AP1 active, ~5500 miles with FSD 11.4.9 active, ~7 miles on 12.3.

1. Release notes just said “this release contains minor fixes and improvements.” Lol. That’s an understatement.

2. There’s a blind left hand turn at a stop sign right at the end of my street.

11.4.9: always stopped fine but aggressively accelerated into the roadway without giving me good visibility. I always disengaged unless it was nightime and I could see there were no headlights coming.

12.3: Stopped fine, if not a bit early. Crept out so I could see, and completed the turn. Much better, but the creeping was too timid/took too long. Vastly improved though.

3. Autospeed: too slow. Stayed at 40 on my 45mph road. Traffic goes 50.

4. Extremely smooth steering and very natural driving paths. Acceleration was in the “acceptable” zone for me—maybe a tad more aggressive than I would be (I was set to “Average” profile).

5. Had the car drive to a nearby church parking lot. Stoplight handling was excellent. Automatic brights were excellent. Turn signals excellent. When in the parking lot, car started to turn the wrong way to try to get back to the main road. (Fine, parking lot behavior not expected to be refined yet).

6. Pulling out into traffic:

11.4.9: Always crept so aggressively that cars in the roadway thought I was pulling out in front of them. Frequently disengaged for this reason.

12.3: vastly improved. Car creeps only slowly when necessary, did not give drivers impression it was going to pull out in front of them.

7. Driving home and through my neighborhood:

Too slow, too timid.

So the timidity is my major complaint. If this is allegedly addressed in 12.3.1, then at least after 10 minutes of driving this is going to get really good.

Has anyone else noticed that one factor 12.3 seems to take into account for speed is road quality? There is a construction zone near me and the road is pretty beaten up with temporary work, but smooths out just past the construction (there are no cones or anything, just bad road). Every time the car goes over the rough road it slows a little, but then speeds up when the ride gets smoother. Looks like the car is paying attention to the accelerometer to decide its speed (dont know this for a fact, just speculating from a VERY small sample size).
I have seen similar behavior. It cleared slowed for a rough patch and sped up after crossing it.

It’s surely using the accelerometer as an input for their data.

I wonder if they’re also using suspension travel information, which at least X and S vehicles can gather. Would help for speed bumps, rough roads, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
View attachment 1031189

It's a Christmas miracle in March boys and girls! Thanks for everyone listening to me whine for so long lol... Still wanna see that beaver though.
If Josh gets killed by V12 on his first drive and slows down rollouts in the future...
I will miss Josh more than future updates...

Ok, not really...

Everything was good for me. Very smooth. Leaps and bounds.

35min drive into another town via highway.

Only thing is on the highway it decided to get into the left most lane and camp there but I was able to adjust the set speed high so it didn’t upset anyone.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
If Josh gets killed by V12 on his first drive and slows down rollouts in the future...
I will miss future Josh more than future updates...
JK 😜

Ok, not really...
Well... let's hope that doesn't happen lol... The first drive is taking my boy to see Ghostbusters so I'll be out and about for a few hours. If you don't hear from me by the end of the night... I'll haunt you as a ghost beaver.

Well... let's hope that doesn't happen lol... The first drive is taking my boy to see Ghostbusters so I'll be out and about for a few hours. If you don't hear from me by the end of the night... I'll haunt you as a ghost beaver.
Have fun, all joking aside, just watch the curbs. All else is better than V11.
Your mind will be blown. Or I will block you and put a Voodoo Beaver 🦫 Curse on you.

Reactions: j0shm1lls