Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those with FSD, if you don’t have navigation on, how does it react to turn signals?
Even with navigation on, you can sometimes get 12.3 to turn at an intersection especially stop signs but not consistent, and it'll even disengage the turn signal after a bit because it knows it shouldn't be engaged to follow navigation. Even for switching lanes still with navigation on, 12.3 sometimes seems to be hesitant in obeying driver-engaged turn signals with some wobble back to the original lane.

As for without navigation, the turn signal behavior is actually pretty similar. I estimate at stop signs, I had about 60% success rate of getting it to turn left or right. This is very much biased on where it's placed within the lane too, so towards the right side of a wider lane will ignore the left turn signal and complete a right turn. At least for residential streets without stop signs where I'm on the larger road, I had under 10% success in getting it to turn to the smaller street, and one time it even started to make the turn then decided to continue straight. But it was pretty consistent in disengaging the turn signal when passing the side street.

Still without navigation, one interesting new behavior with 12.x is a particular intersection here where 11.x would turn away from the main straight road going up a hill, 12.3 still wants to turn but at least engages the turn signal to give the driver some warning. Similarly if 12.3 engages a turn signal and you cancel or switch to the other direction, it seems more likely to make its originally desired turn, so some visual aspect of the road layout and/or approach are currently stronger neural network signals for turn behavior.

Here is an odd ball update. The last time we had an uneven week numbering it was to bring FSD forward. May be nothing but is different.

IMG_4641.jpeg

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I notice my car moves back and forth a lot in a lane now, 1 second it’s very close to center line in the road then the next few seconds it’s very close to outer line at the edge of the road with version 12

11.4 was very centered and stiff at where it wanted to be

Are Autopark and Smart Summon L3/L4?

Not as they presently work. The key language in the summary of the SAE levels for 0-2 is "You must constantly supervise these support features."

If Tesla releases Actually Smart Summon and says "You do not need to monitor the vehicle, it can handle every object and event in a parking lot, and can safely pull over when it fails" then it would be L4.

Reactions: pilotSteve
i also saw on Fi that 2024.8.13 is also pending, and it's only model S and X
Looks like they're all coming from 2024.2.7, but given that the version doesn't end in a multiple of 5, which FSD-Beta-focused builds tend to follow, I'm guessing this is related to 2024.2.12 introducing vision Autopark. .12 has only gone to 2023/2024 Model 3/Y so far, so .13 could be similarly focused on USS-less Model S/X vision Autopark (as opposed to getting 12.x to portrait S/X)?

It is somewhat interesting that vision Autopark feature was developed separately perhaps on top of High Fidelity Park Assist, and that seems to have some shared development with 12.x networks but forked off at some point for the holiday update. Presumably general improvements to 12.x will also lead to improvements to both Park Assist and Autopark when those are updated to use more recent network versions.

Does anyone else find the follow distance FSD uses on the highway make it essentially unusable during busy times?
Average has an insane follow distance. In moderate (fast moving) traffic here in NC, it is expected that you follow quite closely to the car ahead to keep traffic flowing. FSD (admittedly, still the V11 stack on the highways) follows ridiculously far, pissing people off behind me and making it look like I am holding up traffic.
Switching to assertive makes it marginally better, but it’s still nowhere close to the tailgating a human does in these situations.
Worse, assertive makes the car refuse to exit the left lane no matter what.
There needs to be a mode with a close follow distance and allowing for movement to the right lane.

Not as they presently work. The key language in the summary of the SAE levels for 0-2 is "You must constantly supervise these support features."

If Tesla releases Actually Smart Summon and says "You do not need to monitor the vehicle, it can handle every object and event in a parking lot, and can safely pull over when it fails" then it would be L4.
So, you are still "driving" when you are outside the vehicle!!

Here is an odd ball update. The last time we had an uneven week numbering it was to bring FSD forward
Yeah, 2023.7.5 (and subsequent .10, .15, .20, etc.) introduced FSD Beta 11.4.x, so 2024.3.5 does seem higher chance to be 12.3.x for new vehicles. TeslaFi shows one install on a new 2024 S with 27 miles odometer (so ignore its update history as TeslaFi tracks "updates" by account as opposed to by VIN). Maybe this is a special non-.x00 "factory" build to get new vehicles on 12.3.1 as requested?

This is not semantics but actually SAE requirements. Tesla is L2 PERIOD.View attachment 1032320
NONE of the SAE Documents carry any legal strength. In other words it is group of engineers organized much like a kitty party who have mutually agreed to build some rules/standards et al that they have mutually agreed to adhere to. Nothing more. Nothing less. Surely one can expect good work from them but NONE of them will come forward to support their work in any legal proceedings.

I hope nobody brings up SAE and their so called documents as “requirements”.

Two options I can think of:
1. If you are parked, the nav system will often give options for routing and let you pick one.
2. If that doesn't work, pick a way point that is along your preferred route, then cancel the stop as you get close, letting the system continue to your final destination. It's a bit of a kluge but it's the best I got.
1. Yes I know. It often doesn't give the best one.
2. Yeah, not interested in a Kludge. Tesla should be able to easily allow us to save the route. Or even better, recognize the route we usually take from home to work and prefer that one.

NONE of the SAE Documents carry any legal strength. In other words it is group of engineers organized much like a kitty party who have mutually agreed to build some rules/standards et al that they have mutually agreed to adhere to. Nothing more. Nothing less. Surely one can expect good work from them but NONE of them will come forward to support their work in any legal proceedings.

I hope nobody brings up SAE and their so called documents as “requirements”.
They do in California.
1711485094851.png