Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the car faithfully kept that 360 degree awareness no matter how unlikely any given situation might be.

I should add that the second scenario was complicated by the fact that much of my attention was focused on ensuring that the car didn't do anything stupid. It doesn't handle that particular right turn well, so I was particularly focused on the car. If I'd been able to trust the car's ability to make the turn and deal with cross traffic, I might have noticed the pedestrian. Fortunately, Tesla is hyper focused on the safety of Vulnerable Road Users.
This is exactly where driver assistance features like FSD shine. Humans are prone to distractions, leading to countless accidents and deaths.

Reactions: JB47394
NONE of the SAE Documents carry any legal strength.

Except most states with laws allowing self driving explictly cite to the SAE J3016 document to define the terms, modes of operation, etc.

They specifically call out your car has to meet the standards defined there to be classified under the law a certain level of self driving.

So yes, they absolutely carry a lot of legal strength.

As you've had pointed out to you multiple times in the past when you made this erroneous claim.

Reactions: KG M3
NONE of the SAE Documents carry any legal strength. In other words it is group of engineers organized much like a kitty party who have mutually agreed to build some rules/standards et al that they have mutually agreed to adhere to. Nothing more. Nothing less. Surely one can expect good work from them but NONE of them will come forward to support their work in any legal proceedings.

I hope nobody brings up SAE and their so called documents as “requirements”.
It's fine if you don't understand the SAE levels.

0-A 1950 F150 cannot automate anything, even the gas pedal.

1-A 2000 Honda Civic can automate speed control, but cannot brake or steer.

2-Tesla's FSD cannot drive itself. It needs a driver to monitor and make corrections, but with consistent supervision can steer, accelerate, and brake.

3-Mercedes can drive itself within extremely limited conditions. It requires a driver in the driver's seat, but when activated, the driver doesn't have to pay attention and can watch a movie or read a book.

4-Waymo can drive itself, but it's mapped. So not everywhere.

5-No current car can drive everywhere, without a driver.

NONE of the SAE Documents carry any legal strength. In other words it is group of engineers organized much like a kitty party who have mutually agreed to build some rules/standards et al that they have mutually agreed to adhere to. Nothing more. Nothing less. Surely one can expect good work from them but NONE of them will come forward to support their work in any legal proceedings.

I hope nobody brings up SAE and their so called documents as “requirements”.
Agian you don't know what you are talking about. The levels ARE SAE specifications. If you don't believe how important SAE standards are just look at this example. Tesla opened the NACS charger port/plug to everyone. In order to do that they had to send the specs to SAE for them to be standardized and released. Here is from Tesla.com.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 4.45.18 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: KG M3
I'm not aware of any nav software that allows you to specify a specific route.
My 5-mile trek from the local SC home never offers my preferred route, even as an alternative. I pick the one that starts out properly and along route before a wrong turn check for alternatives again. My next preferred turn now shows as an option. I have to repeat that process again another mile down the road. Easy when you get used to it while we wait for the tech to improve (like "remember this route").

Reactions: JB47394

Standards documents available through the Reading Room are limited to versions referenced in the CFR or respective law and may not be the most currently available version. SAE does not control the selection of the standards’ sections or versions incorporated by reference.
That is the CA government choice to do so to use that definition. It doesn’t mean SAE can enforce its standards directly onto anyone or any organization.

This is not semantics but actually SAE requirements. Tesla is L2 PERIOD.
I think anyone familiar with this topic agrees but it's certainly getting closer to L3 minus the graceful handoff that would be needed. Earlier I said I "believe" V12 indicates FSD can achieve L3 but it's not there yet.

Today 6 short drives, all between 2 and 8 miles. Zero disengagements and no interventions. A couple of times I could have used the accelerator but there was nobody behind me. Handled several complex intersections very well. V12 continues to impress.

Reactions: RabidYak
.13 could be similarly focused on USS-less Model S/X vision Autopark (as opposed to getting 12.x to portrait S/X)?
TeslaInfo has release notes from vehicles for both 2024.2.12 and 2024.2.13 where they have an entry for Autopark under 2024.2.11:

2024.2.12:​
Your vehicle can now automatically park — and parallel park — in designated spaces.​
When you're driving at low speed, your display highlights potential parking spaces. Autopark shows a circular P symbol to suggest a space, but you can choose any highlighted space.​
To start parking, stop the vehicle, press Start, and release the steering wheel so it can move freely. Refer to the Owner's Manual for more detail.​
As with all Autopilot features, you must continue to pay attention and be ready to take immediate action including canceling Autopark.​
2024.2.13:​
Your vehicle can now automatically park — and parallel park — in designated spaces.​
When you're driving at low speed, your display highlights potential parking spaces. Autopark shows a circular P symbol on the targeted space.​
To start parking, stop the vehicle, press Start, and release the steering wheel so it can move freely. Refer to the Owner's Manual for more detail.​
As with all Autopilot features, you must continue to pay attention and be ready to take immediate action including canceling Autopark.​

So looks like S/X don't allow for choosing as the FSD visualization is on the instrument panel instead of center touchscreen. I've often wanted to drag/zoom the 12.x visualizations around to get a better look at the end-to-end blue path, but because it's not on the touchscreen, that interaction is completely gone in S/X. Are there other incoming 12.x features that might want user interaction that could have delayed or at least different S/X features?

Edit: Actually, looks like S/X allows selecting via scrollwheel and pressing the same Autopilot scrollwheel to activate: