Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD ran a red light. Not really sure what caused this because the lights were clearly red and I don’t see any lights that could have confused it.

Wow, makes me wonder about the extent of that hypothetical "guardrail" C++ code... either it failed, or it doesn't exist, or they didn't bother checking for running red lights because that "isn't supposed to ever happen" ?

V 12.3.2.1 & 12.3 trying to sudoku itself on curbs is the issue I never thought would be so annoying.

I had the one incident and got very minor cosmetic damage with 12.3 but 12.3.2.1 still has the issues and blatantly doesn't try to avoid curbs.

It's super annoying because of the way it either does or doesn't tighten the turning radius when it's a reasonable distance from the curb and you have very little time to grab the wheel and correct.

Any driving test hitting the curb fails you. 12.3.2.1 simply plows into these curbs with the rear tire like they don't exist. Even when the curb is super low in height and I let it do it's thing you can feel the rear tire touch it and that's not ok.

A random person is going to get very expensive side body damage or wheel damage not knowing this is an issue during their trial.

Last edited:
Took 12.3.2.1 on a trip through Seven Corners in NoVA. Struggled a lot here, which even humans do given the awful road design. It did get stuck in the middle of the intersection when a light turned red so I had to disengage and make a turn just to not block traffic. A few other bad navigation choices but overall did way way better than V11.

I did have one disengagement where auto speed was doing like 43 in a 30 and there was no sign of it slowing down for a speed camera. I wish we could force a slow down on auto speed by scrolling down or something.

I have a school zone in which it dutifully slows down every time, ignoring all the annoyed drivers behind it wanting to go 45-50 MPH. Also ignoring the fact that no children are present.

In general, no - FSD doesn’t recognize school zones. It’s been discussed here several times and a big part of the problem is there is no standard signage and it’s often uncler.

View attachment 1033637
It’s probably still not possible for FSD vision to tell the difference between school children (which technically could go up to ~ 18 year olds) and adults.. not that it matters. Having some clear temporal understanding and erring on the side of going the slowest during those windows MIGHT be a better application of traffic laws and conditions.

someone in another thread I think noted that THEIR experience with FSDb was that during school hours, their car was simply routing AROUND and avoiding the school zones in their area. I don’t really know how technically FSDb would know the difference since I don’t think the location specific data or conditionality is programmed into this new V12 FSDb, but it might simply have been more of a google waze type of location conditions based routing around where there is most likely either currently traffic and congestion or most likely based on time of day, day of week congestion so the navigation system simply routed around it. Would be fun if not only good to know.

I CAN tell you that last week during the afternoon, AFTER the school hours, there is a crosswalk with flashing lights that a pedestrian - any pedestrian can activate to alert drivers that someone is crossing in the crosswalk. My car came up to it, the lights were flashing, there WAS an adult on the side of the road essentially being cautious to oncoming cars - smart pedestrian - and my car just went right through the crossing and flashing lights. Now, I seriously DOUBT that the V12.x (not 12.3) was making the informed decision that THAT ADULT was not making movement to cross the crosswalk so even though the lights were flashing, it decided to just go through.

Overall, it has been my habit for ~ 2.5-3 years now NOT to enable the FSDb around or during any of the school times just as a precaution and understanding that there are most likely going to be too many situational, human and conditional wildcards that the FSD system is simply not prepared for.

Reactions: RNHurt and lzolman
Given the types of other bugs that are easily noticed on TeslaFi, I wouldn't be surprised by some bug confusing the pending numbers. It briefly showed again just now with 1200 pending 2024.3.6 for ~2430 total getting 12.3.2.1, so if that number was accurate, it does seem to be nearly double the total from last night. You can still see updates finishing, and so far still only 2023/2024 vehicles excluding 2024 Model 3s.
Good point, I think cars with USS are not getting 3.6 since 3.6 has the new autopark. Ugh I'm stuck with 12.3 going 37 in traffic flow of 55.

Maybe last second steering and brake suspension dive cause a degree of pixel smearing resulting in poor estimation of moving object kinematics.
Seems unlikely given approach speeds. Rule out.
wish we could force a slow down on auto speed by scrolling down or something.
You can, but as @Mardak says, the set speed starts at 50% over the limit (so 50mph zone would give 75mph ASSO hidden limit). So you have to scroll down a LOT (you cannot see the limit in ASSO mode of course), and then you have to wait a few seconds for it to respect the new cap speed. And remember if a new speed is assessed the limit likely pops back up to 50% over.

Remember turning off ASSO mode seems to leave it on (I have not observed any differences except the set speed between the two modes). So not really any downside and the upside is you can see the cap speed when ASSO is off.

If there are other differences they seem very subtle.

Reactions: Mardak
FSD ran a red light. Not really sure what caused this because the lights were clearly red and I don’t see any lights that could have confused it.
To be clear, that's rolling a right - at a red light. It was apparently not unsafe, but it was clearly illegal. We've seen that sort of thing before, and I attribute it to either confusion about whether the light applied to the turn, or Tesla didn't filter out all the examples of people rolling rights. I noticed that there was a marked "island" on the asphalt. I wonder if that confused FSD.

Good point, I think cars with USS are not getting 3.6 since 3.6 has the new autopark.
Model 3 Long Range with HW3 and ultrasonic sensors here. I got 12.3 in the first wave, but have so far been passed over for the latest stuff. I find it bizarre that I would have to wait for new software because I have hardware that they don't need to use. Just give me the software and ignore the USS. Who cares?

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
Ha.

So, the SO and I have a good friend with a 2023 MY; probably, in some part, because she saw how much we liked our cars and, to some extent, wanted to join the party. She bought it with no EAP/FSD, so it's got basic Autopilot.

Her husband Doesn't Like Cruise Control. In general and, in particular, the version on the Tesla that has TACC/LK. There's some excuse; before semi-retiring, he spent a heck of a lot of time driving semis around for a living. And doesn't trust automation all that much. She's not quite as far down that road as he is and has been, intermittently since the fall when they got this car, has been experimenting with driving with Basic Autopilot turned on.

Their MY just got upgraded to 2024.3.6 and has the FSD12.3.2.1 available. Along with the letter giving them a free month's trial. Just got off the phone with her after discussing it all for a bit.

This.. is going to be interesting. On the one hand, she's definitely not the type to go out and get every new and shiny thing and learn it backwards and forwards. Unlike me, who's got techie chops of all sorts of different flavors and actually likes doing that.

On the other hand, when she learns something, she has a tendency to beat it to death. So, over the next couple of days, I think I'm going to have a date with her and her SO, an empty parking lot or development somewhere, and run her through the basics. And maybe even do an autopark.

This.. is going to be interesting.

Not really sure what caused this because the lights were clearly red and I don’t see any lights that could have confused it
This seems pretty similar to the many other examples of 12.x treating stops as yields. There's painted curving lines where a raised island could be for a slip lane, and I would guess there's plenty of drivers who would take this as a yield instead of fully stopping. The angle of the approach and turn probably also contribute towards end-to-end thinking it should be a yield. Perhaps the rain also contributed to the confusion.