Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all --

I'm going to be posting this on the fsdtracker thread as well.

As a reminder, I'm interested in FSD 12 because I'm short Tesla because I think the stock overvalued. I'm more than willing to discuss to my position, but it isn't relevant to this current conversation, I'm only bringing this up because I don't want to be accused of false-flagging down the line. I think it is possible for people to disagree about stock valuations while remaining civil, and in fact even friendly. This isn't a "change my mind!" thing, it's more a, "Let me try to understand how other people are thinking about this" thing. I'm not looking for a hammer-and-tongs debate, just a conversation.

I'm going to try to be quantitative, but (of necessity) very sloppily so, I'm going to be using big round numbers, powers of 2 and 10.

I'm hoping to explore likelihood/timelines for an FSD robotaxi/personal chauffeur scenario. To keep the discussion manageable, let's limit the discussion to "FSD robotaxi in San Francisco." as the endpoint.

I'm basing this discussion on the fsdtracker,

where I take "Miles To City Critical Disengagement" to be the key metric.

That was a very long preamble! Sorry, let's dig in.

1: Is there any reason to not use fsdtracker #s for this conversation? My sense is that all systemic biases (not a criticism, Elias!) point in the direction of the tracker overestimating FSD's reliability, but people's experiences are so wildly variable that that luck of the draw could easily be dragging them down. Based on my social media monitoring, (which include a ton of TMC!) I find them plausible. Does anyone disagree? This isn't, "They don't match my experience, it always works for me," or,, "They don't match my experience, it never worked for me"; this is, "Do you find the *aggregate* tracker #s implausible"?

2: My read on the tracker #s is: 10.x and 111.x were about 80-90 mile/CCDE. (That's "City Critical Disengagement."). I've never actually done the calculation, that's an eyeball #. I just checked, and 12.x is at 180 miles, so about twice as good, but, as I think most participants in this TMC subsection would agree, nowhere close to "ride hail in San Francisco" levels.

3: What would be good enough? California requires you to share data and jump through hoops to run robotaxis. I'm going with 10Kmi/CCDE as the level at which it makes sense to start sharing and hoop-jumping, and 100kmi/CCDE as the point at which I'd start wanting to roll out a robotaxi service. Note these are very round numbers, they're powers of 10! So I get 2 orders of magnitude to start getting serious, and 3 to start rolling out.

4: How long might that take? I have no idea, and that's where I'm really hoping for some thoughts from the group. If reliability doubles every year, you're looking at 6-7 years before it's time to start getting serious about validation; if it quadruples, you can cut that down to 4. Assuming two years for hoop-jumping and validation, you get 6-9 years before you've got SF robotaxis. I know some people have much more aggressive timelines, but don't understand why. "Data!" doesn't cut it; 12.x presumably already embodies a good chunk of the data Tesla has accumulated to date, and that corpus is not going to double annually, so even 2x/year assumes some source of "non-data" improvement.

The above analysis is obviously from a really million miles away, very abstract POV. I'm fine with that, and would actually prefer to keep it that way, because we're very much in powers of 2 and 10 territory.

A final note about growth rates -- I've had my ups and downs as an investor, but at one point did 8x in 6 years, which consisted of a double in 4 years (not bad!) and a quadruple in 2. When some number quadruples in 2 years, you can really feel it. I actually think I could have done better than 4x, but the growth threw my sizing off. As someone (Alan?) pointed out, the trajectory of 12.x/E2E is likely to be settled very soon.

Sorry for the super long post. To sum up: Any reason to not use tracker numbers as the starting point? Any reason to think MBTF will see a greater than 4x annual increase?

Yours,
RP

It took 6 risks in a 1 mile drive that I may not have been able to respond to fast enough to avoid a crash (I could not always see that it was clear before the car aggressively crossed a lane with ROW). Luckily, no one was coming in most of the situations, and the one with a car coming I was able to intervene and avoid a crash.

It changed lanes with no signal, took a UPL into my street with no signal, signaled left at a T intersection, then abruptly turned right. Any one of these are disqualifying.

I have no way to square any of this behavior with anything close to a safe product.

I must be holding it wrong.
May not help but I'd recalibrate, reboot the car then restart the display.
V12 has improved so many drives for me what you're stating reminds me of V11 which was pretty bad in every way.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc
Well since today is THURSDAY and no evidence of 12.4, much less 12.4.1 that sounds as likely as all of us pooling a couple of dollars and winning the $1.2B lotto. 🤣
Agree,but I do expect another significant upgrade in April. Tesla will want owners who have taken up the free FSD trial offer to see improvement within 30 days to entice owners to sign up for the subscription service. Lots of potential to get either V12 highway stack, Summons or Reverse Summons (aka Banish). Banish is unlikely IMO but we have heard that Tesla employees are testing Summons.

Reactions: lzolman and tivoboy
Agree,but I do expect another significant upgrade in April. Tesla will want owners who have taken up the free FSD trial offer to see improvement within 30 days to entice owners to sign up for the subscription service. Lots of potential to get either V12 highway stack, Summons or Reverse Summons (aka Banish). Banish is unlikely IMO but we have heard that Tesla employees are testing Summons.
Is banish where the car will drop you off at the front door then go park itself?

The service centre updated me today (showed it in my service record) and so I thought I would be on 2023.44.30.30 when the car came back home. But the app and Teslafi both show me still on 2023.27.7. For the drive back from service, there was no update download arrow.

Conversely, Teslafi also shows it as downloaded and installed when I look on the "software update feed". But I learned back in December that is how Teslafil handles tesla pulling software updates. For example, it showed the software was downloaded and installed on Sunday as well but there was no update when we got to the car even though the update download button was gone. Hours later the update feed showed the update returning. So that feed shows 2023.44.30.30 has been installed 4 times so far on my computer. Which isn't true. That's just what that feed shows when tesla pulls an update. As you can see when you look over that chart going back to the day I installed 2023.27.7.

I'll put a ticket in with tesla to see if they can explain this.

2024/04/04
15:40
2023.44.30.30Waiting For Wifi To Download
2024/04/04
15:39
2023.44.30.30New
2024/04/04
14:34
2023.44.30.30Installed
2024/04/04
14:14
2023.44.30.30Downloading
2024/04/04
14:13
2023.44.30.30New
2024/04/04
13:10
2023.44.30.30Installed
2024/04/04
12:50
2023.44.30.30Downloading
2024/04/04
12:49
2023.44.30.30New
2024/04/04
11:46
2023.44.30.30Installed
2024/04/04
11:21
2023.44.30.30Downloading
2024/04/04
11:16
2024/04/04
11:16
2024/04/04
11:02
2023.44.30.30Downloading
2024/03/31
22:50
2024/03/31
22:50
2023.44.30.30New
2024/03/31
19:14
2023.44.30.30Installed
2024/03/31
18:34
2024/03/31
18:34
2023.44.30.30New
2024/03/31
18:13
2023.44.30.14Installed
2024/02/15
06:17
2023.44.30.14Waiting For Wifi To Download
2024/02/15
06:17
2023.44.30.14New
2024/02/15
06:16
2023.44.30.8Installed
2024/01/11
13:52
2023.44.30.8Waiting For Wifi To Download
2024/01/11
13:52
2023.44.30.8New
2024/01/09
20:28
2023.44.30.5.1Installed
2023/12/22
20:22
2023.44.30.5.1Waiting For Wifi To Download
2023/12/22
20:22
2023.44.30.5.1New
2023/12/20
16:52
2023.44.30.2Installed
2023/12/20
01:20
2023.44.30.2Waiting For Wifi To Download
2023/12/20
01:20
2023.44.30.2New
2023/11/01
04:11
2023.27.7Installed

As a reminder, I'm interested in FSD 12 because I'm short Tesla because I think the stock overvalued.

Thanks for being open and transparent. Honestly don't mind civil conversations with short sellers; rational people can disagree.

1: Is there any reason to not use fsdtracker #s for this conversation? My sense is that all systemic biases (not a criticism, Elias!) point in the direction of the tracker overestimating FSD's reliability, but people's experiences are so wildly variable that that luck of the draw could easily be dragging them down.

I think we can use it, but I don't think we can say which direction it would be biased in. It's kind of like restaurant reviews; the only people with an incentive to add their data either had a really good time or a really bad time. So either way it's not representative of the median experience.

I just checked, and 12.x is at 180 miles, so about twice as good, but, as I think most participants in this TMC subsection would agree, nowhere close to "ride hail in San Francisco" levels.

Regardless of the bias direction, I don't think the FSD tracker data can be directly compared to companies doing L4 robotaxis. FSD is fundamentally L2 driver assistance, and that means there is a human behind the wheel that can disengage the car at any time for any reason. As we've seen in this thread, a lot of people disengage because they disagree with the driving style (and some might argue that the style isn't "defensive" enough and therefore a safety disengagement). Or they might be disengaging because it's taken a wrong lane (and that can feel unsafe to some people as well, so they might also be subjectively rating it as a critical/safety disengagement). If you have spare time, you can let FSD take a wrong turn and reroute. But who has that luxury?

Anecdotally, I've seen some harrowing drives in L4 robotaxis like GM's Cruise. How many passengers would have disengaged those drives if they were given the choice? But because they're in the back seat, they have no option to disengage in cases where they feel unsafe, or even in situations where the car made wrong turns.

Ultimately, if you really want to validate your investment thesis, I would seek out someone with FSD in your local area that could give you a test drive. Part of the reason I bought FSD myself is that, as someone who holds TSLA shares long, I wanted first-hand data on the performance that was unfiltered through others' opinions.

Hi, all --

A final note about growth rates -- I've had my ups and downs as an investor, but at one point did 8x in 6 years, which consisted of a double in 4 years (not bad!) and a quadruple in 2. When some number quadruples in 2 years, you can really feel it. I actually think I could have done better than 4x, but the growth threw my sizing off. As someone (Alan?) pointed out, the trajectory of 12.x/E2E is likely to be settled very soon....
Sorry for the super long post. To sum up: Any reason to not use tracker numbers as the starting point? Any reason to think MBTF will see a greater than 4x annual increase?

Yours,
RP
V12.x has been in wide release for a couple of weeks. Trying to set a timeline of future advancements of a new technology from such a small dataset is basically guess work. We all have our opinions, but they are mostly opinions without enough information to give them any true validity. Basing investment decisions on such poor data isn't what I'd call wise. TBH, if I were you I'd be more worried about Optimus than FSD. Given the cost of long term home care, an Optimus could pay for itself in one month. Given the new $20 minimum wage for fast food in California, an Optimus would pay for itself in less than six months in that setting. If Tesla gets Optimus working-- which IMHO is more likely than Robotaxi--TSLA is going to increase tenfold from where it's at.

Reactions: Ben W and lzolman
I realized a funny sort of switch happened with the V12 release where previously I'd only use FSD on the highway because the city driving was far too janky and unreliable on V11. But now highway is the crappier experience between the two, and I look forward to seeing "Auto" re-appear in the max speed UI (meaning V12 has taken control again). The awkward hardcoded merge control and poorly timed passing attempts disappear once the car leaves the highway.

Done, several times.

But, should not be a factor. Needs to work in the real world, not the lab.
Works great for me in the real world. 95% of my drives are zero disengagements and most are zero interventions. Never worked that well on V11. V11 was a mess for me. For sure V12 needs to be better especially speed control and mapping problems. Today I drove 180 miles (highway and city/street) in the rain and had 2 disengagements. Both were for driving too fast on ramps in the driving rain. One exiting, one entering the highway. 2 accelerator interventions since FSD hesitates way too much at Stop signs and there were cars behind me. 2023 Model Y, HW4.

Of course I'm not driving in Boston were the results would be different but in metropolitan Boston. My area is not too complicated except for lots of obstructed view intersections.

Hi, all --

As a reminder, I'm interested in FSD 12 because I'm short Tesla because I think the stock overvalued. I'm more than willing to discuss to my position, but it isn't relevant to this current conversation, I'm only bringing this up because I don't want to be accused of false-flagging down the line. I think it is possible for people to disagree about stock valuations while remaining civil, and in fact even friendly. This isn't a "change my mind!" thing, it's more a, "Let me try to understand how other people are thinking about this" thing. I'm not looking for a hammer-and-tongs debate, just a conversation.

I'm going to try to be quantitative, but (of necessity) very sloppily so, I'm going to be using big round numbers, powers of 2 and 10.

I'm hoping to explore likelihood/timelines for an FSD robotaxi/personal chauffeur scenario. To keep the discussion manageable, let's limit the discussion to "FSD robotaxi in San Francisco." as the endpoint.

I'm basing this discussion on the fsdtracker,

where I take "Miles To City Critical Disengagement" to be the key metric.

That was a very long preamble! Sorry, let's dig in.

1: Is there any reason to not use fsdtracker #s for this conversation? My sense is that all systemic biases (not a criticism, Elias!) point in the direction of the tracker overestimating FSD's reliability, but people's experiences are so wildly variable that that luck of the draw could easily be dragging them down. Based on my social media monitoring, (which include a ton of TMC!) I find them plausible. Does anyone disagree? This isn't, "They don't match my experience, it always works for me," or,, "They don't match my experience, it never worked for me"; this is, "Do you find the *aggregate* tracker #s implausible"?

2: My read on the tracker #s is: 10.x and 111.x were about 80-90 mile/CCDE. (That's "City Critical Disengagement."). I've never actually done the calculation, that's an eyeball #. I just checked, and 12.x is at 180 miles, so about twice as good, but, as I think most participants in this TMC subsection would agree, nowhere close to "ride hail in San Francisco" levels.

3: What would be good enough? California requires you to share data and jump through hoops to run robotaxis. I'm going with 10Kmi/CCDE as the level at which it makes sense to start sharing and hoop-jumping, and 100kmi/CCDE as the point at which I'd start wanting to roll out a robotaxi service. Note these are very round numbers, they're powers of 10! So I get 2 orders of magnitude to start getting serious, and 3 to start rolling out.

4: How long might that take? I have no idea, and that's where I'm really hoping for some thoughts from the group. If reliability doubles every year, you're looking at 6-7 years before it's time to start getting serious about validation; if it quadruples, you can cut that down to 4. Assuming two years for hoop-jumping and validation, you get 6-9 years before you've got SF robotaxis. I know some people have much more aggressive timelines, but don't understand why. "Data!" doesn't cut it; 12.x presumably already embodies a good chunk of the data Tesla has accumulated to date, and that corpus is not going to double annually, so even 2x/year assumes some source of "non-data" improvement.

The above analysis is obviously from a really million miles away, very abstract POV. I'm fine with that, and would actually prefer to keep it that way, because we're very much in powers of 2 and 10 territory.

A final note about growth rates -- I've had my ups and downs as an investor, but at one point did 8x in 6 years, which consisted of a double in 4 years (not bad!) and a quadruple in 2. When some number quadruples in 2 years, you can really feel it. I actually think I could have done better than 4x, but the growth threw my sizing off. As someone (Alan?) pointed out, the trajectory of 12.x/E2E is likely to be settled very soon.

Yours,
RP

Well at least you are honest. As someone who's been in the technology industry for decades and have been trading actively in the past 20 years, the type of questions you are asking and the data analysis you are doing showed that you are clueless about technology and trading.

Good luck with your short.

Today I drove my rural route with 12.3.3 and it was perhaps slightly better concerning driving too slowly.

The problem of tapping the accelerator, having it speed up, and then drive too fast around a curve is still there. It's dramatic and dangerous. However, I realized that perhaps that problem has always been there, but I never saw it because I never had to loose the car to make it to fast enough??

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
Today I drove my rural route with 12.3.3 and it was perhaps slightly better concerning driving too slowly.

The problem of tapping the accelerator, having it speed up, and then drive too fast around a curve is still there. It's dramatic and dangerous. However, I realized that perhaps that problem has always been there, but I never saw it because I never had to loose the car to make it to fast enough??
Does it make it go over the center line if you press the accelerator right before a curve? I think this happened to me

Thanks for being open and transparent. Honestly don't mind civil conversations with short sellers; rational people can disagree.

I think we can use it, but I don't think we can say which direction it would be biased in. It's kind of like restaurant reviews; the only people with an incentive to add their data either had a really good time or a really bad time. So either way it's not representative of the median experience.

Regardless of the bias direction, I don't think the FSD tracker data can be directly compared to companies doing L4 robotaxis. FSD is fundamentally L2 driver assistance, and that means there is a human behind the wheel that can disengage the car at any time for any reason. As we've seen in this thread, a lot of people disengage because they disagree with the driving style (and some might argue that the style isn't "defensive" enough and therefore a safety disengagement). Or they might be disengaging because it's taken a wrong lane (and that can feel unsafe to some people as well, so they might also be subjectively rating it as a critical/safety disengagement). If you have spare time, you can let FSD take a wrong turn and reroute. But who has that luxury?

Anecdotally, I've seen some harrowing drives in L4 robotaxis like GM's Cruise. How many passengers would have disengaged those drives if they were given the choice? But because they're in the back seat, they have no option to disengage in cases where they feel unsafe, or even in situations where the car made wrong turns.

Ultimately, if you really want to validate your investment thesis, I would seek out someone with FSD in your local area that could give you a test drive. Part of the reason I bought FSD myself is that, as someone who holds TSLA shares long, I wanted first-hand data on the performance that was unfiltered through others' opinions.
Hi, Willow_Hiller --

> I don't think we can say which direction it would be biased in

You'll get no argument from me, that was an IMHO thing. I'm trying to see if people think the #s are any good at all, in a 2x/10x context.

> , I don't think the FSD tracker data can be directly compared to companies doing L4 robotaxis.

Yeah ... look, I'm not trying to compare FSD to anything. Talking about Tesla is hard enough -- as I think many can attest! -- talking about Tesla vs. <something> is much harder.

> a lot of people disengage because they disagree with the driving style

That's why I'm using the trackers "Critical disengagements".

> if you really want to validate your investment thesis,

The conversation won't I hope be about my investment thesis. Or investments at all. *Relevant to*, sure; *about", no.

FSD + Robotaxis is of general interest, whether you're long, short, own a Tesla, don't own a Tesla, whatever, it's just an inherently interesting question. Discussions of the question involve:

-- Where are we now? (IE, are the tracker #s good enough? Hope so, because they're only numbers I, at least, have.)
-- Where do we need to get to? I made up 100K miles/CCDE, because it's big and round, we could discuss.
-- How long might that take? Really, this is the big question. If FSD MTBF is going to go up10x/year, the "march of 9s" will get chewed through quickly.

Are there any ANSWERS to any of those questions? No, but I think they're worth discussing.

Sorry if I sounded dismissive or didn't fully respond to your very thoughtful post. Robotaxis aren't the entirety of the value of the FSD development effort to begin with, but they're an important part and in some ways easier to discuss because there's more of a hard endpoint to them; it's easier to reason about MTBF than it is about driver fatigue.

Yours,
RP

• Disagree
Reactions: Pdubs
Done, several times.

But, should not be a factor. Needs to work in the real world, not the lab.
The real world IS the lab, and you are the volunteer lab assistant. If you don’t like the thought of that, stop using it. This is not something that can be perfected in the basement of some windowless building.

FSD 12.3.3 had difficulty exiting from the interstate today. It got up the exit ramp at an overpass so a short exit window, and instead of moving forward it to exit ahead of the oncoming traffic, it slowed to let a slower entering truck on close in front, then it hesitated and turned off the blinker and gave up. I think it tried again turning on the blinker but it was too late, exiting traffic had moved into the exit lane and blocked us. And it wasn’t a long exit. I was pretty flabbergasted. It didn’t have this problem yesterday same exit, but I think maybe there was less merging traffic.

It did it again at the next exit - slowed to let on yet another slow truck close in front, but at least this time there was no exiting traffic close behind so it moved over and made the exit.

I never slow to let incoming traffic in front of me - they are generally going slower and their job is to get on the interstate behind me while I get off.

Really surprised me and I will have to keep an eye on this. I will probably accelerate approaching the exit to get past cars coming on.

Last edited:
Reactions: joelkfla
The real world IS the lab, and you are the volunteer lab assistant. If you don’t like the thought of that, stop using it. This is not something that can be perfected in the basement of some windowless building.
I am not a volunteer tester. I'm a potential customer on a free trial.

I found some show stoppers, so I won't use it, much less buy it.

I've disabled almost all ADAS, AP, anything that can give me a false positive (like applying corrective steering when it erroneously sees the center of the lane as the road edge and tries to steer into the center median).

Now I'm just waiting for a non-Tesla EV that has the range and size of the Y to shlep the dogs and gear all up and down the West Coast. Hyundai, Rivian, VW, Toyota, I really don't care, just not another Tesla. May actually keep the Y, just as a collector's item, and use it around town, manual driving only.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive