Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things feel pretty quiet. I do get the feeling that V12 is going to have to get merged into the current branch ASAP if they are going to actually offer an FSD trial to everyone. I know a number of folks that are on 2024.8.x and obviously have read about the opportunity and wonder about it...

Reactions: edseloh
My FSD also auto enabled without any confirmation. While playing with the scroll wheel can get annoying, speed limits are too arbitrary here, and also auto max wants to go too fast in residential areas so manual speed is still the better option.

I found playing around with FSD hard to resist, so I became a guinea pig once more and tried it out on some difficult intersections around here, some involving a place where two busy roads come together at a traffic light and where the no block zone is more than 100 feet long, and another part involving 3 narrow lanes with zero lane markings and no shoulders. The lanes should be there, but it’s end of winter.

The car actually handled it all very well, especially when I helped it with lane selection early on. I find it makes decisions and reacts to situations much later than an attentive driver would, so helping it out makes it work better. I would say it even drove better than a nervous or non local driver would have through this same area.

It has a long way to go still, but I can see some of the promise of robotaxi if they really drill in on a geographic zone, fix each regression and focus hard on safety and not crashing. Late decisions and bad lane selection don’t matter as much if a person is being chauffeured, as long as the thing doesn’t crash and as long as it doesn’t do illegal manoeuvres. It can apparently perform almost magically well in some crazy situations, so to see it flake out and fail so badly in other much simpler situations is flabbergasting. Still, Waymo is the proof that at least in theory, it should be possible. If the hardware can handle it is another question but I guess we’re in the process of finding that out!
When you say "helped it with lane selection", do you mean disengaged and reengaged?

FSD gave me alert and disengaged itself with reason "Autopilot is disabled. System error. In cabin camera is blocked" or something like that on the toll freeway 73 to Newport Beach. 5 minutes later I was able to re-engage FSD. It happened after the car directly faced the big red sun for couple minutes, then faced the dark sky when the freeway direction changed. I was not sure that was the reason.

V12 is definitely better than V11 but way less predictable which I don't like. Same route I took yesterday with zero disengagements has 4 today, including it jumping into a turn lane which has never happened before.
Seems to have a lot of trouble with lane selection, particularly when a lane splits into 2 (like a turn lane or a widening in the road.)

FSD gave me alert and disengaged itself with reason "Autopilot is disabled. System error. In cabin camera is blocked" or something like that on the toll freeway 73 to Newport Beach. 5 minutes later I was able to re-engage FSD. It happened after the car directly faced the big red sun for couple minutes, then faced the dark sky when the freeway direction changed. I was not sure that was the reason.
There have been reports of the visor blocking the camera in same cases. I'm guessing your visor was down going towards the sun?

V12 is definitely better than V11 but way less predictable which I don't like. Same route I took yesterday with zero disengagements has 4 today, including it jumping into a turn lane which has never happened before.
It will get more predictable with more training data.

For example, I'm noticing that when the car initiates a lane change, it will make it about a quarter of the way into the maneuver, then hesitate and for a brief second start heading back to the original lane before it corrects and finishes the lane change.

Things like this will get better with more training.

V12.3.3 gave the family a reasonable 10 mile ride from the restaurant minus the usual speed control interventions, tailgating, dry wiper, odd navigation, excess acceleration and brake input. But there was one unprotected left that made everyone gasp. It was on a moderately busy road with one obvious sizeable piece of debris in the center of the road. FSD waited until the last moment to avoid it with the strongest steering input I had ever felt FSD provide at ~10mph. It was the topic of conversation.

how do i do "mixed mode" 'SFSD and me'
I just want to joy ride around nowhere special, no destination, bopping down the highway and "lets turn left at this T real soon

Do I have to do a "navigate to ______"?

SFSD turns on if i flick the stalk going nowhere in particular, no destination

how do i do "mixed mode" 'SFSD and me'
I just want to joy ride around nowhere special, no destination, bopping down the highway and "lets turn left at this T real soon

Do I have to do a "navigate to ______"?

SFSD turns on if i flick the stalk going nowhere in particular, no destination
You don't need to navigate. If it's enabled just turn it on. You can joy ride and use turn signals to change lanes and turn at intersections.

My need to nitpick: It's FSDS for Full Self-Driving (Supervised), not SFSD.

You don't need to navigate. If it's enabled just turn it on. You can joy ride and use turn signals to change lanes and turn at intersections.

My need to nitpick: It's FSDS for Full Self-Driving (Supervised), not SFSD.
So I can essentially navigate by using just "chill mode" and turn signals and just "bop around the neighborhood", then "hit nav to home"
we have 400 miles of canals and lots of dead ends
thanks for response