Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an interesting situation where my car (on 12.3.4 but this started with V12.3) stopped too early for a yellow light, braking pretty hard, causing the car behind me to also stop pretty hard, then the car creeped forward as the car got a little too close.

12.3.4 = no real noticable difference from 12.3.3. One time it accelerated on a green light less aggressively, which I found about just right.

Created a YT short:

This sums up my general FSD 12.x mood:

View attachment 1038402View attachment 1038403
Poorly done by me (should have had both hands on wheel, probably would not have gotten quite so far if I had been 100% ready, but I really expected the car to come to a halt again at the stop line (as legally required if the light had been red when it arrived there), rather than launching into the turn before the light turned green).

Obviously my reaction to the light turning green is limited, but I was actually watching the pedestrian, NOT the light, so I missed that for a bit. Anyway, here is the earliest I could have physically reacted if I had been looking at the light (car already going 8mph):
View attachment 1038406

Also poorly done by the car. Not cool.

Edge case?

When you slow down the video to quarter speed I don't believe the pedestrian had any intention to walk until the car stopped suddenly. Yes she looked left but I didn't see any movement. She then decided to walk once the driver stopped the car. FSD was making the correct decision but I might have stopped the car too.

For me the only change I noticed on V12.3.4 was the car was a bit slower especially where it was going too fast previously. 2-4 mph slower and no unnecessary hard accelerations. Over-all better.

FSD continues to stop harshly when it decides not to proceed thru the yellow. I always thought on V11 FSD decisions on yellow/red lights was correct. Now FSD seem too cautious on some yellow lights and stops suddenly.

For me the only change I noticed on V12.3.4 was the car was a bit slower especially where it was going too fast previously. 2-4 mph slower and no unnecessary hard accelerations. Over-all better.

FSD continues to stop harshly when it decides not to proceed thru the yellow. I always thought on V11 FSD decisions on yellow/red lights was correct. Now FSD seem too cautious on some yellow lights and stops suddenly.
Yes, FSD 12.x has been more aggressive than typical humans in stopping for yellow lights. A bit too aggressive I think, at the risk of contributing to a rear end collision.

Reactions: JB47394
Had an interesting situation where my car (on 12.3.4 but this started with V12.3) stopped too early for a yellow light, braking pretty hard, causing the car behind me to also stop pretty hard, then the car creeped forward as the car got a little too close.

I had that (on 12.3.3 I think) while waiting at a stoplight. Our 3 had about a car length to the car in front of us after we stopped. The car stopping behind us crowded in a little closer than that and our 3 moved up a bit more with no movement from the lead car. As far as I could tell it was splitting the empty space equally between front and back.

• Informative
Reactions: Dennisis
Well, I'm going to get a lot of flak from those who've been waiting for updates and haven't gotten any.

As mentioned before, took a long road trip on a 2021 LR AWD MY, with a recent install of 2024.3.10/12.3.3 in there. However, my daily driver, a 2023 LR AWD M3 was sitting in the garage, without being plugged in or anything. And, while on the road, the 2024.3.15 update got pushed to the car. Wasn't even in the area, but 12.3.4 is what it had.

So, today. made a dinner run with the car, some distance of 10 miles total, local roads only. This is the report of that.

First off.. Maybe it's the difference between the cars, but 12.3.4 seems slower and a lot more hesitant on UPL from the local housing development than 12.3.3. I mean, no cars approaching from either direction, and the 12.3.4 car just crept, and crept, and crept.. and eventually sped up and turned left. At the next stop sign onto a somewhat busier road with yellow stripes and all, this performance was repeated. 12.3.3 was very much faster on the turns.

Second: Somebody mentioned that curbs showed up being wider in the display. They're right, they are. As others have mentioned, this may be an attempt to prevent curb grinding and all. Neither car has made a suicide attempt on curbs in any case, so no difference except that the curbs looked different.

Third: I tend to run around with the Auto Max setting set. Hey, it's something new and shiny! And, on both cars, when they were running 12.3.3, not only did the cars keep up with traffic, they went (usually) somewhat faster than the speed limit. Unless it was a parking lot or things looked hairy, in which case both cars on 12.3.3 slowed down; really, the kind of behavior one wants.

The M3 on 12.3.4 seemed different. For one thing, in a 25 mph zone, the car tended to actually stay at 25 mph for extended periods of time, especially if there were no cars in front. On relatively long stretches of this, the older algorithm (?) would kick in a bit and the car would speed up a few MPH.. but the delay in doing so was definitely different than 12.3.3.

If there was other traffic about all going somewhat faster than the limit (30-35 in a 25 MPH zone), the Tesla would go a bit slower at first, then notice all those cars up ahead, then speed up to match, but not catch up, with the other cars.

So, as we all know, the main change on 12.3.4 was to snag all those "Unicorn" MX's, MS's, and such like from long ago and far away. But it does look like somebody's been doing some tweaking. Not major, but something.

I know that there are those that claim that the Software Is The Software And Shall Never Change Until A New Release, but I think I've seen times when the FSD activity changes after a drive or three. I'll drive around a bit over the next couple-three days and put up another report.. especially about highway driving.

All those ADAS drivers at Chuck's unprotected left so far have been a nothing burger. Chuck's first attempt had multiple issues as well as his normal u-turn attempt thereafter. Also missed one speed bump in that narrow street neighborhood he drives through.

And the other unprotected left turn after the narrow neighborhood had FSD dramatically slowing in the roadway after entering at least 40mph traffic. Another speed control SNAFU with a max set speed of 5mph. Chuck says it's "dangerous" and wasn't there in v12.3.3.

In some ways v12.3.4 seems to be worse than v12.3.3. Back to the drawing boards.

I've had that speed limit 5 mph bug in v12.3.3 so Chuck is wrong about it not being there.

both 12.3.3 and 12.3.4 can randomly pick 5 mph as the speed limit and it will stay wrong in sections until you park and start over.

I had it wrong in my entire neighborhood on 3 different streets, as soon as I parked in my driveway I went back on the same street and bam it's 25 mph.

When you slow down the video to quarter speed I don't believe the pedestrian had any intention to walk until the car stopped suddenly. Yes she looked left but I didn't see any movement. She then decided to walk once the driver stopped the car. FSD was making the correct decision but I might have stopped the car too.
I think she decided to cross the street before he even arrived at the intersection. You can tell because the crossing signal is green (meaning she pressed the button.)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Huh?

She was striding aggressively into the crosswalk.
Don't agree at all. She was standing still and for sure looked left but I don't think she moved until the car stopped. She certainly wasn't "striding aggressively into the cross walk". Unfortunately the pillar is in the way to really know. You can see her top half lean forward but that is because she wasn't walking. I watched at .25 speed.

Don't agree at all. She was standing still and for sure looked left but I don't think she moved until the car stopped. She certainly wasn't "striding aggressively into the cross walk". Unfortunately the pillar is in the way to really know. You can see her top half lean forward but that is because she wasn't walking. I watched at .25 speed.
I was driving so I assure you she was in the street when gesticulating - and in the second image below.
This is also extremely clear from the video! You can see her take a step or two forward. Watch her position relative to the post; she's taken one to two steps into the street (which you can see her taking). Even with the car changing position you can see that has to be the case - imagine where she would be if she had remained stationary, in the second image. (She'd be three feet to the right, under the red hand, or possibly completely out of view! Remember stationary things in the foreground appear to move faster to the right than things in the background when moving across a scene from right to left. It's literally impossible for her to be in this position if she had not moved.)

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 7.10.39 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 7.13.03 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: SidetrackedSue
Hey can you check under service mode what value is under Data Bank A for autopilot on 12.3.3 please. I realized we can check if there was any change to the model this way.

I have 12.3.3 and I've never gotten a software update on the car since I bought it.

Bank A 2.17 GB
Bank B 1.82 GB

2018 Model 3 LR AWD

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
First off.. Maybe it's the difference between the cars, but 12.3.4 seems slower and a lot more hesitant on UPL from the local housing development than 12.3.3. I mean, no cars approaching from either direction, and the 12.3.4 car just crept, and crept, and crept.. and eventually sped up and turned left. At the next stop sign onto a somewhat busier road with yellow stripes and all, this performance was repeated. 12.3.3 was very much faster on the turns.
On the back roads of New England, that's Standard Operating Procedure. If I use V12 (pretty much any V12) it means hovering over go. I'm about at the point where most of the time I don't have the patience for it anymore. I have to be in what I think of as "dedicated test mode" but for just living my life I prefer to drive myself, off the highway.

View attachment 1038314
This is 2024.3.15

Can someone currently on 2024.3.10 check how big their AP model is? I didn’t notice any changes to driving behavior.

Software -> Service -> Infotainment -> Software -> Autopilot Data Bank

I remember bank B was like 1.73gb a while back.
I've got 2 datapoints for you:
2023 Model 3 with 2024.3.15 (12.3.4):
Bank A: 2.17GB
Bank B: 2.17GB.

2018 Model 3 with 2024.3.10 (12.3.3):
Bank A: 2.11GB
Bank B: 2.17GB

Do we know what the total capacity of each bank is? It's interesting how often that 2.17GB comes up in both versions and banks