Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Comparing the roughness of a drive to an Uber/Lyft or Waymo is not a fair comparison. In both those cases, you are not responsible for the actions of the car, you are only responsible for your own safety. That additional responsibility for both the vehicle and everyone else on the road raises the expectation for the quality of the drive to that of what one can do driving manually. After all, it is one's financial health that is on line here - insurance costs after an at-fault accident, repair costs ranging from scraped panels to damaged wheels, and medical costs/loss of income from even a minor accident requiring attention and/or recovery time. And the mental health cost from causing life-changing injuries or death to someone else if there is an avoidable or at-fault accident.

You would likely stop an Uber trip early if the driver was obviously impaired or incompetent because of the danger to your own safety. In the case of impairment or extreme incompetency you may also call police to make others safer on the road.

If every Uber/Lyft drive was terrible, you'd find people avoiding using that service for their own peace of mind.

Reading through the comments in this and other threads, I see the same tendency to avoid using FSDS in order to protect oneself or others. Many people voice the thought that they would not pay for FSDS, or the opinion that V12 is a giant leap forward (I share that view) but not ready for daily use for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that for City Streets it is not an assistant but an incompetent co-driver to keep in check.

And there are some who see extreme incompetency worthy of contacting the authorities to have the product taken off the road.

aronth5 inquired

I can't imagine FSD would pass that test at all.

Of the 80,000 KM, our car has gone, about 2/3 have been driven with me as a passenger and a small subset with me in the backseat. On road trips in our previous vehicles, I would work in the back seat when it wasn't my turn to drive. I haven't tried this with V12 (there's no point, it is using V11 on freeways) but it has not been possible in the MY, I get headaches and general malaise from the motion sickness.

I can't work in the front seat either, but I can, at least, read my phone or tablet and, with more difficulty, paper documents. Note: this is with the car being either manually driven or with some form of ADAS beyond TACC. For V11.4.x on freeways, with me in the front seat, I get less car sick than usual and prefer my husband to use it (previous versions made me sick). If I'm actively co-piloting (watching out for errant FSD behaviours, managing NAV or other screen settings, general route planning, talking with the driver over what he's experiencing) I don't get car sick because my body is anticipating the motion of the car and focusing on contributing to the drive. I don't get any car sickness when driving the car. Including on the 4000km road trip I took on my own.

Over 6 decades, I have never felt car sick in any other car.

But I don't know if the blame for this is due to FSD. How much of this is due to the rough ride of the MY, the design of the back seat where seeing out the front is limited, or the pulse of the regen creating a surge/ease movement in addition to the rough ride? I'll admit our highways here are in terrible shape but that has always been the case, so the PriusV and Odyssey that I worked from before would have experienced the same rough roads and didn't result in car sickness for me. Both had back seats with views forward and the PriusV even had the recliner seating option (fully reclining the front passenger seat level with the back seat bench, so I could sit in the back seat slightly reclined, legs lying on the back of the front seat, and nap with a neck pillow, still safely constrained by the seat belt in case of accident.) That feature gave us the ability to go places and was why we bought that car before our usual 8 year cycle was up, I was recovering from hepatitis when the car was bought and couldn't be out of bed for more than 2 hours at a time. It is a major reason why I loved the car so much, it gave me back a bit of my life. (The tesla similarly gave us some life back by being our mobile isolation unit during covid so I laud it for that.)

I will say that my inability to work in the car on road trips is a major negative as that makes much of the travel time 'wasted' and the 'breaks' during charging are not where I would choose to stop and reset my brain. I really dislike road tripping with the tesla compared to our other vehicles. It takes longer and I cannot make good use of the time so it leads to me further resenting the car I doubt FSD will ever make a difference with that as I feel the car design itself is what leads to the car sickness.
If you want to work while traveling- upgrade to a Model S. It is larger and will be more comfortable for Laptop type work. I do it all the time and it is great.

I don’t agree with the statement that was made about FSD being “incompetent co-driver to keep in check”

Many of us use FSD on city streets every day quite successfully.

Just think about it- via AI and the expansion of the neural net using what will be billions of visual examples of what a competent driver looks like- FSD will make driving even safer.

I am hopeful we can get to that goal as it will be good for all of us.

So strange autopilot behavior now that my trial FSD expired.

Autopilot refuses to work on freeways, basically any place that 12.3 stack wasn't in use.
I tried rebooting using the two scroll wheels no change.

BUT autopilot on city streets, my car now turns on its blinker changes lanes and makes turns, based on my navigation destination.
It's really weird, the minimal lane changes option and the 3 modes (assertive and whatever), is gone, only thing i have now is the normal autopilot distance control.

My car is acting like it ONLY wants autopilot to function on 12.3 stack lol, I say 12.3 because autopilot ONLY works on city streets and NOT freeways but it feels dumber than 12.3 maybe its using 11.x?

When I try to enable autopilot on freeways it just makes the loud beep and pops up with the code relating to something about narrow lanes.
My screen also shows a weird visualization of a freeway off ramp V and I'm driving straight towards it over and over while cars drive around me lol.
Visualization goes back to normal when i exit the freeway.
That is weird behaviour. I haven't tested AP yet since my trial went away yesterday. Tomorrow I will be driving on a highway that during the trial for the first 10km would continue to run V12 (AutoMax etc) and then switches to V11 (no AutoMax etc) for the last 5km or so. Will see if I get any funky behaviour. I'll also try turning on AP on my way home today with Navigation set to Home and see if it tries to make turns...LOL

But I thought v12 doesn’t know what a stop sign is and there is nothing explicitly programmed? And I thought it was trained on millions of human driving clips (generally this is not what humans do).
I consider everything running on a computer a program. A program generated by a few programmers!

You know why FSD hesitate more on empty intersections? I think its because the "program" have to evaluate more pixels to make sure there is no moving object!

Reactions: swedge
Does not appear so, no.
I know, I know. Elon likes to hype up every release. But with this new approach on FSD( AI) I think these releases are going to provide significant improvements and at a much faster pace. like Ashok said think Tesla has “Solved” FSD and it may very well be the beginning of the end. Now they just have to train Ego on how to drive.

I think the next version or two will prove out the above. If in fact they have solved FSD we should see significant improvements in every release going forward.

I know, I know. Elon likes to hype up every release. But with this new approach on FSD( AI) I think these releases are going to provide significant improvements and at a much faster pace. like Ashok said think Tesla has “Solved” FSD and it may very well be the beginning of the end. Now they just have to train Ego on how to drive.

I think the next version or two will prove out the above. If in fact they have solved FSD we should see significant improvements in every release going forward.
We've yet to see that at this point. We will see.

Reactions: Joboo7777
Ok now after this morning's drive car is back to normal autopilot function and visuals are back to normal lower visual

I find that I actually like it better on freeways, it sits in the middle of it's lane doesn't wander around and I know it won't try to make weird lane choices.

I'll probably subscribe once 12.4 is released, or you all / youtube hype up a release lol

I feel like the time you get updates is based on how much you use FSD

Updates were always late for me but i started using FSD a lot when i first got ver 12 now everytime there’s an update i seem to get it on the 2nd day after its released
How soon you get an update also depends, of course, on how fast Tesla rolls it out. 12.3.6 has been a very quick one, over 5,000 shown on TeslaFi only 3 days after the first ones.

My assumption is that once a selected few get a new release, the rest of us are selected at random.

For those of you who were here during your trial that decided not to purchase fsd or pay the $99 per month, now that you no longer have V12, this is no longer the place to post. It is considered completely off topic.
Find another thread to ask questions or complain. Or as my dad use to say,
"Put an egg in your shoe and beat it"

Auf Wiedersehen...

I let FSD 12.3.6 "drive" me home last night from meditation class, about a 45-minute jaunt from Newburyport to North Reading, MA.
The feeling was pretty positive, not for any big new changes in behavior but rather due to an increase in trust overall. If the known weak spots would just get fixed (intersection lethargy, especially at stop signs, confusion at certain intersections due to bad map data or who-knows-what), this thing would be seriously good, like perhaps ready to bank that first '9' (at least psychologically, if not verifiable through incident statistics--which we don't even actually have lol).

So I'm really hungry for 12.4 and to find out whether Elon has been talking smoke and mirrors or other automakers will actually be forced to begin considering licensing FSD.

I let FSD 12.3.6 "drive" me home last night from meditation class, about a 45-minute jaunt from Newburyport to North Reading, MA.
The feeling was pretty positive, not for any big new changes in behavior but rather due to an increase in trust overall. If the known weak spots would just get fixed (intersection lethargy, especially at stop signs, confusion at certain intersections due to bad map data or who-knows-what), this thing would be seriously good, like perhaps ready to bank that first '9' (at least psychologically, if not verifiable through incident statistics--which we don't even actually have lol).

So I'm really hungry for 12.4 and to find out whether Elon has been talking smoke and mirrors or other automakers will actually be forced to begin considering licensing FSD.
12.4 is good but 12.5 is the big one

Dunno why I feel the urge, but:

People keep on saying that about 12.4 and 12.5. But I'd argue that those of us who've been around for a bit and have seen various "killer" releases of FSD come down the pike.. well, won't argue, in general, that there's been improvements from release to release. And 12.3.x has been a heck of lot better than, say, 11.4.anything. But I'd like to think that these here FSD threads are all from Missouri: "Show Me."

Mind you, I'm not a "fanboi", whatever the heck that is: I've called out bad behavior on FSD many times before now. But I'm definitely not a member of the Junk Brigade. I'm just saying: If 12.4 and/or 12.5 are wonderful, then those of us driving around with it will be the best reviewers.

Don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

Elon's shark he caught fishing yesterday with his own supplied picture...

maxresdefault.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: gforce2002